PS4 has Sold Through Over 1 Million Units Within 24 Hours of the Launch in North America

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Damn, people actually went out and bought the PS4? I guess I was wrong to assume everyone understood it is an overpriced underpowered PC.
why this is underpowered?
can you get the same/better results in PC gaming with $400?
even the cheapest i5 combo (Proc, 8GB RAM, Motherboard, 500GB Drive) already passed $400 mark, and I don't think you'll be able to play heavy games with IntelHD.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
why this is underpowered?
can you get the same/better results in PC gaming with $400?
even the cheapest i5 combo (Proc, 8GB RAM, Motherboard, 500GB Drive) already passed $400 mark, and I don't think you'll be able to play heavy games with IntelHD.
http://www.logicalincrements.com/
Here are some good PC builds for all price ranges. That said I have no idea how powerful those are so I'll refrain from commenting on that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The car doesn't let you mown the lawn, nor the lawnmover gets you to work. Errr.. Bad example.

The PS4 doesn't let you do spreadsheets, create presentations, code and compile applications, do graphics design, create electronic music etc., meaning it doesn't do everyday general computing. The PC does. Because it's a Personal Computer. Not a console. The PS4 is a console. It does games.

Perfect example. :)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The PS4 doesn't let you do spreadsheets, create presentations, code and compile applications, do graphics design, create electronic music etc., meaning it doesn't do everyday computing. The PC does.
So you're saying the PC does what Sonydon't :tpi: wait that doesn't sound right :unsure:

Reactions: Foxi4

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I see a lot of haters here. No other console has sold like that(I think). Yet we have to wait and see if the Xbox One can break that record.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The PS4 doesn't let you do spreadsheets, create presentations, code and compile applications, do graphics design, create electronic music etc., meaning it doesn't do everyday general computing. The PC does. Because it's a Personal Computer. Not a console. The PS4 is a console. It does games.

Perfect example. :)
It was more of a "can do most of the things" not "all the things" example, but whatever :P

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I see a lot of haters here.
Wut? This thread has just devolved into console vs PC for the umpteenth time on this forum (and in just over one page). Regardless, you'll see a lot of PS4 hate on this site anyways just because this is primarily an audience of Nintendo fanboys who refuse to understand basic ideas for the sake of their brand loyalty. Said fanboys are going to ride the hardware failures until they're no longer relevant, calling back on them to justify why the Wii U is a better purchase long after the relevance of them has passed. You'll see more hate from PC elitists who, after three decades of them, still can't seem to comprehend why people may buy game consoles, regardless of how many perfectly logical reasons you throw their way. If the Xbox One does well, you'll see some fantastic GBAtemp hate backtracking as they praise the Xbox One and bash the PS4 because, hey, being flip floppity is the cool thing around here.

I guess the point of this is way to state the obvious.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It was more of a "can do most of the things" not "all the things" example, but whatever :P

...all the things? :unsure:
cCpN9GC.jpg

Reactions: Qtis and raulpica

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony also disclosed that 0.4% of PS4's were defective in some way... So that's 4,000 units? Not too bad, frustrating for some, but it's to be expected with the launch of a new console.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Sony also disclosed that 0.4% of PS4's were defective in some way... So that's 4,000 units? Not too bad, frustrating for some, but it's to be expected with the launch of a new console.
That was their estimated percentage of defective units. In all likelihood, it's probably closer to 1%, but it's still nowhere near an unacceptable rate of failures.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wut? This thread has just devolved into console vs PC for the umpteenth time on this forum (and in just over one page).

It's mostly because people assume that when a console is based on x86_64, it's a PC... and yet nobody was raving that all of the consoles last generation were Mac's since they were based on PowerPC (yes, even the PS3 - the CELL's PPE is a PowerPC-based core). :rolleyes:

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Those are pretty big numbers from the PS4. I guess all the people underwhelmed by the Wii U for the past year finally got the opportunity to do something about it. That second link is really misleading, though: it's a rumour, for one thing, and the source itself doesn't cite any sources and looks like it was written by a ten year-old.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Thats... an impressive figure for day 1! I dont think the Xblock wrong can match those figures, i just hope playstation really hone in on what they've set up this year. Its been a great year for them, they've promised alot and delivered something great. They just need to keep people interested with top notch games over the next year and the public will be in the palm of their hand.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's mostly because people assume that when a console is based on x86_64, it's a PC... and yet nobody was raving that all of the consoles last generation were Mac's since they were based on PowerPC (yes, even the PS3 - the PPE is a PowerPC-based core). :rolleyes:
I suspect someone (I wont name name's :ph34r: ) is going to come in here real soon and start posting pc graphics card specs and benchmarks and how much better they are to all consoles combined

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I have lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And I havent watched Brotherhood yet
    It was watchable, not sure what my favorite Anime is hmmm
    Castlevania or Baki probably
    Robotech was good
    DBZ I liked up until Cell after that it got too weird
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My youtube comment got 2k likes achievement unlocked
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, i also watch my hero academia and rewatching dragón ball starting from the og series
    Oh also loved Vanhellsing
    And Vanhellsing abridged lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Aurora Borealis?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I- AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART IF THE COUNTRY, LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    jokes aside, anyone else who saw the northern lights tonight, what did you think, i thought they were beautiful for a while, before it went to a vague pink
    maybe later they'll pick up again
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went out and tried to see, but I'm too south, and its too cloudy, bummer
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    too far south? it goes down to alabama tonight
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sorry about the clouds btw, the sky is clear here rn
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe just too cloudy for me then, Idk
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its neat tho, I seen it years ago when I was visiting Canada.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this is my first aurora tbh
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking