Hacking PS4 Extended Storage connection to PC

watchman2020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
newbie here who just got myself a used PS4 on firmware 7.02. Been tinkering around with it using information found here and elsewhere and installed some games using FPKGs. The latest thing I have done is to format 4TB HDD as PS4 extended storage and moved some of the installed games over successfully. But, when I connect the extended storage HDD back to PC, it couldn;t be detected and I need to go to Windows Disc Management to initialise it as GPT. After initialisation, I decided to test the HDD by connecting back to PS4 and it said USB storage device not detected and format not supported.

Am I not allowed to connect the PS4-formatted extended storage ? Since I did, and also went ahead and initialise it on PC, it is now basically corrupted with all the content gone and I have reformat it on PS4 if I want to continue using it as extended storage for PS4? Is there a way to rectify thIS or am I correct to say I am basically fucked now?

Reactions: HollowGrams

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can't connect the drive to a pc and expect it to work. now that you've initialized it, it may be possible to clone the drive then inject the first sector of a working extended storage drive to that drive, but I'm not really sure if that will work. I know you can do this with the wii u and ps3 when it comes to having initialized the drive. your only other alternative is to format the drive.

Reactions: HollowGrams

HollowGrams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
newbie here who just got myself a used PS4 on firmware 7.02. Been tinkering around with it using information found here and elsewhere and installed some games using FPKGs. The latest thing I have done is to format 4TB HDD as PS4 extended storage and moved some of the installed games over successfully. But, when I connect the extended storage HDD back to PC, it couldn;t be detected and I need to go to Windows Disc Management to initialise it as GPT. After initialisation, I decided to test the HDD by connecting back to PS4 and it said USB storage device not detected and format not supported.

Am I not allowed to connect the PS4-formatted extended storage ? Since I did, and also went ahead and initialise it on PC, it is now basically corrupted with all the content gone and I have reformat it on PS4 if I want to continue using it as extended storage for PS4? Is there a way to rectify thIS or am I correct to say I am basically fucked now?

APP2USB is the other way of doing it.

watchman2020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
thanks guy for the response and confirmation. any recommendation on what other basic utility such as APP2USB that I must install ??

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never used app2usb. is there a reason you need to access the drive? if your plan is to backup stuck, I'd recommend backing up the pkgs. you can access extended storage in mnt/ext0. games will be in user/app so mnt/ext0/user/app patches will be in patch and dlc will be in addcont (think that's what the ac stands for when dumping dlc).

D

Deleted User

For Apptousb format the external to exfat in windows (the same format you would use to put an external on your PS4 to install games usually) then just run Apptousb from almost any of the exploit pages. It will transfer games from the internal to the external. You could then plug in the hard drive to your computer if you want and use it for other things. But if it's formatted to the PS4 you should never try to plug it into the PC because as it appears you already found out you will lose everything on it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually, plugging it in should be fine. it's when you initialize you've made a mistake, which I think is what he did.

D

Deleted User

You may as well tell people not to plug it in on PC in the first place, because 9 times out of 10 they'll do exactly what OP did. Think there's something wrong with it and trying to initialize it or format then they lose everything.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did this with a wii u hdd before I knew about it. I lost everything including saves, which I didn't have a backup of. I've gotten all games back by going through them again except for Super Mario 64. for that game, since it was so difficult for me to get 120 stars, I just used someone else's save. that's when I started trying saves from other consoles, which are compatible with the wii u, just some require hex trimming, because flash carts have a tendency to unnecessarily pad saves for some reason. the wii u doesn't like that and the save won't be read.

watchman2020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I've never used app2usb. is there a reason you need to access the drive? if your plan is to backup stuck, I'd recommend backing up the pkgs. you can access extended storage in mnt/ext0. games will be in user/app so mnt/ext0/user/app patches will be in patch and dlc will be in addcont (think that's what the ac stands for when dumping dlc).

no particular reason. I am just testing out different things and various ways to access and transfer stuff without reading much in advance and figuring out the best way to transfer, access and use PKGs but didn;t read much in advance. As I got the PS4 for a week or so and haven;t seriously play any of the game, there isn;t any serious damage done. But when you refer to accessing Extended Storage in Mnt/Ext0, I gather you are talking about exploring the file system on the PS4 itself. how do I do that ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*