Hardware PS3 won´t turn on after HDD swap

tmnr1992

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was having trouble with my ps3 after it got turned off incorrectly and i got the error message every boot, so i formatted the console, but that didn´t work (i installed ps3hen and now all homebrew blackscreens after the error). I then connected the HDD to the pc to check for errors and formatted it, and then put it back on the ps3, but now when i try to turn on the console it beeps once, then the green light turns off completely, forcing me to unplug it in order to try to turn it on again. I´ve tried formatting to fat32, ntfs and leaving the drive unallocated, but nothing seems to work.

UPDATE:
Tried a different HDD and the console detected it and did not turn off, so it must be something wrong with my original hdd, but i cant figure out what it is that prevents it from being detected.

SOLVED:
In case anyone has this problem I fixed it by doing a low level format, with that the console now recognizes the hdd, so i then put a usb with the ps3 update file and everything works fine now.

Last edited by tmnr1992,

zumbae

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
I was having trouble with my ps3 after it got turned off incorrectly and i got the error message every boot, so i formatted the console, but that didn´t work (i installed ps3hen and now all homebrew blackscreens after the error). I then connected the HDD to the pc to check for errors and formatted it, and then put it back on the ps3, but now when i try to turn on the console it beeps once, then the green light turns off completely, forcing me to unplug it in order to try to turn it on again. I´ve tried formatting to fat32, ntfs and leaving the drive unallocated, but nothing seems to work.
Put officiall last update from sony 4.84 on usb on folder UPDATE in root and install [emoji6]

tmnr1992

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Put officiall last update from sony 4.84 on usb on folder UPDATE in root and install [emoji6]

It doesn´t give me that option, as the console shuts down after a couple seconds of pressing the power button, nothing appears onscreen.

tmnr1992

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you go into recovery mode?

No, even if i keep the button pressed the console turns off after about 3 seconds.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No, even if i keep the button pressed the console turns off after about 3 seconds.

Just tried booting without the hdd, it stays turned on and the following message appear:
Cannot start. The appropriate system storage was not found. So I´m guessing it has something to do with the hard drive, which appears to work since my computer detects it just fine

tmnr1992

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unplug the system, wait a minute or two, plug it back in, try again (with the FULL system update on a usb drive, not the smaller update).

Which model is your system?

Haizum74

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Still the same results. It is a slim model.

From reading up online it would appear that one possible solution is that the HDD isn't seated correctly. Needs a go push in. Also it's possible that the HDD is goosed, the PS3 is a bit finicky compared to a PC when connecting an HDD.

Last edited by Haizum74,

Tatakai

Trophies
XP
Country
France

UPDATE:
Tried a different HDD and the console detected it and did not turn off, so it must be something wrong with my original hdd, but i cant figure out what it is that prevents it from being detected.

SOLVED:
In case anyone has this problem I fixed it by doing a low level format, with that the console now recognizes the hdd, so i then put a usb with the ps3 update file and everything works fine now.

Thank you , i did a low level format like you said and it worked .

thanks !

187skillz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
t.co
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis

UPDATE:

SOLVED:
what do you meean low level format do explain

Ozzen

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
The console shuts down after a couple seconds if i try it with the hdd inserted. If i try it without the hdd i can do the button press sequence, but it shows the "Cannot start. The appropiate system storage was not found" at the end, so i cannot access recovery mode.
Hi I'm having the same issue right now. But mine will beeps 3 times then the console will turn off and the LED light just keeps flashing red. Did you experience the same issue when an HDD is inserted in your console? I tried it without the HDD it turns on but it says "Cannot start. The appropiate system storage was not found".

tmnr1992

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I'm having the same issue right now. But mine will beeps 3 times then the console will turn off and the LED light just keeps flashing red. Did you experience the same issue when an HDD is inserted in your console? I tried it without the HDD it turns on but it says "Cannot start. The appropiate system storage was not found".
It was a while ago so I don't remember the details, I would advise you to try what I did and see if it solves the issue, if not you may need to ask someone who's knowledgeable in PS3 hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it won't make it better or worse