1. kylster

kylster mich weich töten

United States
    I have a couple of questions if you could provide answers. What is the difference between a PL & the Lv2 patcher? Are they the same or different files? these are just things i've been wondering about and could not seem to find any answers.

You see i'm on waninkoko cfw v1 because I couldnt get Kmeaw cfw to play my backups even with Lv2 patcher [​IMG] So I really have no knowledge of what PL or Lv2patcher are initially meant for except for playing games. Thanks in advance.

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight
    Former Staff

France
    I'm not expert in the internal behavior of these files.
    I followed a little the Dongles payload development, so this is only what I remember.

The Dongle payload had two purposes
    1) Set the console in debug Mode (allowing you to install and run unsigned content).
    2) Patch some functions in the level2 access. (PS3 use different access level, controlled by the hypervisor. Each level have access to more internal data and structure function)

Patching some level 2 functions gave access to things like Peek (check memory value) and Poke (write a new value in memory at a given address).
    Other functions of the payload were used to redirect dev_bdvd to "PS3 GAMES" menu, dev_hdd0 or dev_usbxx, enable playing a game without a disc in the drive, etc.
    These patches are mainly used to play backup as it redirect the bdvd access.

All this patching is done temporarily in memory. That's why we had to launch the dongle+payload at every boot.

The custom firmware are now putting the console in debug mode automatically on boot.
    In this state you can install and run homebrew.
    so what is left to do is patch the Lv2 functions to enable bdvd redirection, enable peek and poke, etc.

Some cfw are including these patch (Waninkoko and hermes cfw), while other are not (Kmeaw and Wutangrza) and it's done partially by the backup Managers (Rogero, Gaia, MultiMan).
    some patching are not done by the manager, and like MultiMan it removed bdvd emulation, so you need to either put the payload back in the manager (BDEMU.bin, which will patch the Lv2 functions to enable all the memory access and BD redirection, like BD-mirror for black screen games), or launch the Lv2 patching process manually before using a manager that doesn't include the patching on launch.

If anyone want to bring correction, don't hesitate.
    It's what I have understood, but I may be wrong.

The Payloads are 100% legal and don't contains any Sony codes.
    We are currently checking BDEMU.bin legality. I don't know how created it, it may be a leaked file from Sony SDK or from the firmware itself (found internally on the PS3).
    If it's the case, we will remove all references and links to this file here.
    The author of MultiMAN already removed it from the releases.

If anyone have some information, let us know.
    Who developed it? where it comes from? is it patched or original file found on PS3, if original then which folder, so the user can just make a copy of his own file.

Edit :
    I checked the BDEMU.bin, and on my opinion it's legal as it act only as a path redirection and virtual drive mounter (like Daemon tools) to make the PS3 think any folder is a Bluray drive.
    it allow mounting of BDVD copied to internal, and launching of black screen games by considering dev_usb00/PS3_GAME/ as a bluray drive.

It's removed because dean think it may be considered "DRM protection circumvention device" in some countries, and he don't want to force a paylod for users already using one (Waninkoko cfw payload is conflicting).
    For me, it's only a path redirection, the PS3 is still doing the decoding job, not MultiMan nor the payload.

3. kylster

kylster mich weich töten

United States
    Thanks for the info Cyan [​IMG]

4. Jimmy1994

Jimmy1994 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Greece
    Multiman BASE link doesnt work...

5. Cyan

Former Staff

France
    multiMAN ver 1.17.02 BASE (28.21 MB), included : Showtime, lastGAME, ps3SERV

http://www.multiupload.com/02E3N5OMKR
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7J00J4OY
    http://depositfiles.com/en/files/2f0x5pyq7
    http://rapidshare.com/#!download|917l3...000_.rar|29579|
    http://hotfile.com/dl/115634006/61d6e7a/mu...000%29.rar.html

Links found on the first post of the official MultiMan thread, on psx-scene.
    (zorua will certainly update the guide with one of them [​IMG])

PS : if you install this base, don't install the current "UPDATE" from the guide, it's an old version.

Dean is working on a great layout for the next release [​IMG]

6. The Composer

The Composer GBAtemp Regular

Cote d'Ivoire
    Nice guide.

I suggest you to add a poll to see if users understand this or not.

7. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Are you being sarcastic?
    Seriously, if people can't understand something, they can simply post here and wait for an answer.

8. Cyan

Former Staff

France
    I think he said that because a lot of guides on gbatemp have a poll like :
    • Did you find this guide useful?
    • are you happy now?
    • hrth [​IMG]

or modmii-style poll with "how many consoles did you hack using this guide?"
    •1? yes, I just modded my wii, let's vote that!
    •2? damn, I just modded a second one, but I answered 1 last time
    •3?
    •more? Oh, now I modded more but I can't change my vote ! this poll is wrong...

It's not useful to add a poll in my opinion, like you said users can post if they have a problem.
    If they like it, they can leave a message to say thank you.
    But sometime, member just want to say thank you without spaming the topic with a one word post. maybe add a poll with 1 choice ? a thank you poll [​IMG]
    (not possible to add only 1 choice)

9. Eaxo

Eaxo Newbie
    Newcomer

thnx Zorua for the quick reply in the other thread, i think ill be jailbreaking my ps3 soonish [​IMG] just gotta check what version i got on it [​IMG] (hoping its not too high, will post if i run in to any problems on the way or if i have any futher questions [​IMG])

Atleast im more informed now [​IMG]

10. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

No problem!
    Glad I could help you.
    Hope that you have 3.55 or something under it. [​IMG]

11. dexter222

dexter222 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You may wish to hold off on that. Something called "Cinavia" started popping up when I updated from 3.56 to 3.60 and halts the play of copies of certain movies. Although supposedly introduced with 3.10 in Nov 2009, I've never seen it do anything until 3.60 - so if you use your ps3 as a media client for a DLNA server like tversity, you may wish to hold off... besides I believe it's already too late to go to 3.60 anyways, it looks like this post is moot lol but I'll post it anyways for those who'd rather play movies than the playstation network.

@Zorua

Nice guide! I just started looking into PS3 softmod. You make it look easy [​IMG] - I just got another old ps3 but it already has 3.56 and the other one is already 3.61 so I guess I'm stuck for now.

12. Eaxo

Eaxo Newbie
    Newcomer

F********K! currently on 3.56 -.- Was hoping i was on a lower firmware but with my luck its no surprise.... Any ideas? [​IMG]

13. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Going from dated hearsay on various forums, nobody is working on a 3.56 downgrade/CFW method, so it will never exist. Your best bet is updating to 3.61 and using it normally until the new keys are hacked (if they ever will be). People are working on it, but it seems they're not making any progress.

14. squall23

squall23 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Need help in regards to the NTFS part. So it says that the NTFS partition has to be primary and active. First of all, I don't know how to partition the driver. 2nd, I don't know if it's primary or active. All I know is that I'm using a brand new hard drive in NTFS and it's freezing whenever I try to change drivers.

Any help?

15. Cyan

Former Staff

France
    If you have only 1 partition, then do not worry it's already active.

Did you correctly created your own USB.CFG file ?
    you used lowercase letters, right?

Then, it may be because your drive is not compatible.
    The PFS driver is not compatible with all the HDD.

16. squall23

squall23 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Oh, the USB.CFG is suppose to be lowercase? Hmm, I'll have to fix that.

So it should be something like this right? (just an example, not my actual one)

0x0gt4:0x3100:1

17. Cyan

Former Staff

France
    Yes, except hexadecimal doesn't go past "F" [​IMG]

It's a 16 (hexa) decimals system,
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F

When you go past F, you increase the left digit by one, and go back to 0 with the current digit.
    8 > 9 > a > b> c> d > e > f > 10 > 11 etc.
    1f > 20 > 21 etc.

There exists other counting system with different number of possible values, all are working the same way :
    Increase (or create) the left digit by 1 and return to 0 with the current one.

Hexadecimal system:
    16 possible values: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
    hexadecimal use "0x" in front of the value to differentiate the counting system.

decimal | hexadecimal
    9 = 0x9
    10 = 0xA
    15 = 0xF
    16 = 0x10
    17 = 0x11

binary system:
    2 possible values : 0 & 1

decimal | binary
    0 = 0
    1 = 1
    2 = 10
    3 = 11
    4 = 100
    5 = 101
    6 = 110
    7 = 111

Octal system:
    8 possible values: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    octal are represented with a leading zero.

decimal | octal
    7 = 07
    8 = 010
    9 = 011
    15 = 017
    16 = 020

18. squall23

squall23 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Like I said, it was just an example. But yeah, making it lower case worked, thanks a lot kind sir.

19. M75

M75 Newbie
    Newcomer

Ok, this was a good guide, it must have been because im a complete dumbass and i managed to get it working, so thanks.

My only issue now is, i have been aquiring a few games, some of the later ones state in the NFO that they only run with FW 3.60, so my question, using the CFW 3.55 is it or is it not possible to run these games ?

So far i have been lucky enough to have not had any files larger than 4g so everything has been running off my external.

Anyway just thought there must be something im missing and one of you guys could tell me where i am going wrong.

Cheers.

20. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Quick lil explanation of the 3.60 scene:

All new games are being forced to ship with 3.6X code, to make it impossible to play on 3.55 CFW. As it stands, there's nothing you can do to play those games aside from buying them and updating to 3.6X. HOWEVER, devs often release updates for those games, and many devs release those updates using 3.5X code. THOSE games can be patched to play on 3.55 CFW.

So if you have a 3.6X game and you want to play it on 3.55 CFW, check to see if they've received an update... and if they have check to see if the scene has ripped the files from the patch needed to play the game on 3.55 CFW.

Someone could probably create a list of patchable games (I've seen one around somewhere, but can't remember where), but I'm too lazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Softmod, Guide,