PS3 Power issues

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Gregora, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Gregora
    OP

Gregora GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    So I finally got around to plugging in my PS3 (CECHA01 model) that I got from GameStop earlier this month. I got it hooked up to my TV and everything but when I plugged it into my surge protector, the red light didn't go on. So my question is whether it's the power cord or the internal power supply that needs replacing and if it's an internal part, how easy would it be to open it up and replace the parts?

Just as a further bit of detail, since I'm an IT student, I have access to the workroom that the computer forensics class and the lab techs use. I've used the workroom to work on a laptop there before and I'm certain that I'll find any common tools there. The only things I'd have to do is get the replacement parts and any thermal paste that I'd need. A further question is how difficult would it be to work on it and how easy it would be to damage the system? I've attempted repairs on a DS, DSi, and a netbook and somehow broke these systems while working on them, so I am a bit paranoid/cautious about damaging systems.

2. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    First try another outlet spot. If that doesn't do it try another power cable. If that doesn't work its likely the internal power switch. Depending on what's broken it could be a cheap easy fix or something that requires soldering. I can't diagnose it for you without the machine in hand so this is the best I can tell you.

3. Gregora
    OP

Gregora GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    I found the issue. I didn't notice that there was a switch on the back of the unit. I feel like an idiot.

Last edited by Gregora, Jan 26, 2017
    Zero72463 likes this.