Hardware PS3 Extremely loud ?fan? noise

lukasic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My ps3 started making loud noise like a jet suddenly after about 15 minutes of playing GTA EFLC.I really hope it's not dying.I think it's not the BD drive tho,when i got the disc out it was still making the noise.Thanks in advance.

lukasic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I really hope not,but it would not surprise me.It's a 40GB fat ps3,and it has survived through a lot.I've had it for 2 years.Never had a problem with it before.Is there anything i can do to prevent YLOD?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I really hope not,but it would not surprise me.It's a 40GB fat ps3,and it has survived through a lot.I've had it for 2 years.Never had a problem with it before.Is there anything i can do to prevent YLOD?
Try vacuuming out dust from the vents or use compressed air to clean it and see if that helps. If not, start saving for a new system.

Daemauroa

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm pretty sure it's recommended NOT to vacuum a system. Compressed air is always the way to go.

actually, in the manual it says it is the best way to clean a ps3.

anyway, my ps3 makes the same jet- and vacuum cleaner sounds as you, but my ps3 makes the sounds for 9 months or so now, and it is still not dead. so I don't think your ps3 is going to die soon or I am extremely lucky with mine. if it is the 80 gb version (fat) then you could perform a fan test to make the dust blow out of the vent holes. it isn't recommend though because of the possibility to damage your system, but if there is a lot of dust in there, you should clean it, and like I said, the best way is with a vacuum cleaner.

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
I have a similar problem. Recently my PS3 started to crash and lag on both the Bluray discs and backuped games. Furthermore, yesterday I was playing and suddenly the console turned off itself. When I turned it back it said something like the power disconnected or something. It's the old fat 20GB model with a new 750GB internal HDD on Kmeaw's 3.55 CFW. Is the CFW the reason for these malfunctions? I haven't heard before about this "YLOD" thing. Is it really inevitable?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have a similar problem. Recently my PS3 started to crash and lag on both the Bluray discs and backuped games. Furthermore, yesterday I was playing and suddenly the console turned off itself. When I turned it back it said something like the power disconnected or something. It's the old fat 20GB model with a new 750GB internal HDD on Kmeaw's 3.55 CFW. Is the CFW the reason for these malfunctions? I haven't heard before about this "YLOD" thing. Is it really inevitable?
If it's a old 20GB, then a YLOD is probably gonna happen soon. The first fat models (the later ones shouldn't be affected THAT much by it, but it can still happen) are pretty much guaranteed to get it.

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
If it's a old 20GB, then YLOD is probably gonna happen soon. The first fat models (the latter ones shouldn't be affected THAT much by it) are pretty much guaranteed to get it.

So, this is the reason for all the crashes and lagging? Can't it be fixed?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If it's a old 20GB, then YLOD is probably gonna happen soon. The first fat models (the latter ones shouldn't be affected THAT much by it) are pretty much guaranteed to get it.

So, this is the reason for all the crashes and lagging? Can't it be fixed?
Yep, it is. Can only be fixed by reballing it. Don't trust random people saying that they reball consoles for €40, as those are scammers and just use hot air on it to reflow it temporarily (which can last from 3 days to 8-9 months).

Reballing can only by done by specialized centres (a good reballing station costs over €1000+, so don't trust that guy saying that he really reballs them) which can usually also charge you up to €150 for it. If reballing isn't done correctly (it could happen, having a station doesn't guarantee that the centre knows how to do them well) it'll happen again in 1-24 months.

tl;dr - start saving for a PS3 slim :P

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Yep, it is. Can only be fixed by reballing it. Don't trust random people saying that they reball consoles for €40, as those are scammers and just use hot air on it to reflow it temporarily (which can last from 3 days to 8-9 months).

Reballing can only by done by specialized centres (a good reballing station costs over €1000+, so don't trust that guy saying that he really reballs them) which can usually also charge you up to €150 for it. If reballing isn't done correctly (it could happen, having a station doesn't guarantee that the centre knows how to do them well) it'll happen again in 1-24 months.

The thing is, I got this console from a friend before 4 months and I don't have any money now (if I start saving, I'm probably gonna end up with PS4 :P ). If I send it to Sony, can they fix it?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

The thing is, I got this console from a friend before 4 months and I don't have any money now (if I start saving, I'm probably gonna end up with PS4 :P ). If I send it to Sony, can they fix it?
Yep, at least here, they ask you €80 for a refurb (but it's guaranteed directly from them).

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
My Slim console makes a pretty big noise, especially when reading discs.
Sometimes when i turn it on it sounds insane for about a minute.
I got a 3 year warranty on it however and im only into like a year of that so my only concern is if I would be able to remove the hard drive from my ps3 I would be able to return it for a new PS3.

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Yep, at least here, they ask you €80 for a refurb (but it's guaranteed directly from them).
Thank you for your answer! I just noticed you are from Italy. It's probably the same service here too. I will check it.

EDIT: Will they delete my files in the HDD?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you for your answer! I just noticed you are from Italy. It's probably the same service here too. I will check it.

EDIT: Will they delete my files in the HDD?
Guess so, better ask them beforehand ;)

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online over nps is the only reason you'd want wifi
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ps3 really has no titles worth going online over nps is the only reason you'd want wifi