Newcomer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey Guys,
I'm trying to setup an 8tb hdd for use with a Ps3.
Everything I've seen says to convert GPT to MBR.
The issue with this is that it seems like 2tb is the max file size for MBR for either fat32 or NTSF
I've tried with Easeus partition master 9.1 and 11.0
According to this thread it's possible to get a fat32 partition over 2tb on MBR.
https://www.psx-place.com/threads/sucess-with-a-single-partition-8tb-external-ps3.11284/
I'm having a hell of a time figuring this out.

Eveldee

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey Guys,
I'm trying to setup an 8tb hdd for use with a Ps3.
Everything I've seen says to convert GPT to MBR.
The issue with this is that it seems like 2tb is the max file size for MBR for either fat32 or NTSF
I've tried with Easeus partition master 9.1 and 11.0
According to this thread it's possible to get a fat32 partition over 2tb on MBR.
https://www.psx-place.com/threads/sucess-with-a-single-partition-8tb-external-ps3.11284/
I'm having a hell of a time figuring this out.
Well, the only way to make it work is said in the thread you linked: format it as Fat32 with 32kb clusters. I don't think it'll work on any software but try the ones mentioned in the thread.

Also note that a Fat32 partition can't have single files bigger than 4Go so you'll have to split the files you use for the games (especially ISOs) if they're bigger than that.

Modzvilleusa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks dudes, I ended up getting an 8tb Western Digital drive and the WD software worked out for setting it to MBR while still being able to have access to the full 8tb.
Seems like Western digital is the only way to go for these large builds that require MBR as I could not find a way to get it to work on my 8tb seagate.

Reactions: Eveldee

HyperCannonDude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks dudes, I ended up getting an 8tb Western Digital drive and the WD software worked out for setting it to MBR while still being able to have access to the full 8tb.
Seems like Western digital is the only way to go for these large builds that require MBR as I could not find a way to get it to work on my 8tb seagate.
Was this for an internal setup? If so can you link the hard drive you used?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was this for an internal setup? If so can you link the hard drive you used?
afaik, there's no 2.5" hdd that would fit in the ps3 that's even over 2TBs anyway. ssd would, but there are issues with it like a higher degree of failure, possibly due to the absence of trim. there's also no benefit anyway.

Commadore64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another approach to using huge drives is to use PS3NETSRV. My PSX/PS2/PS3/PSP/Etc collection is on my home server. Since PS3NETSRV is just serving the files to the PS3, PS3 is not concerned with MBR/GPT or NTFS/FAT/EXT234. The server handles all of that.
PROS:
Nearly unlimited storage
Can use any file system format that the host of PS3NETSRV can read/write to
You can share your library across the internet to friends
-if you have fast enough internet access

CONS:
Slower than connecting from USB
*Only an issue when installing a huge game that installs lots of files to internal drive before playing
When playing PS2 games, they will get copied to the internal hard drive before they will play
*8 gig dvd might take 5 minutes to copy over before it starts but it will start immediately until you delete it from the internal hd
**Even if you have USB, PS2 games get copied to internal before running

Reactions: Eveldee

XFoxPrower

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nice. Would you happen to know if Windows recognizes it? Would be convenient if it does, for file transfers.

Microsoft said:

While academically correct, Microsoft never says how Windows would handle MBR volumes > 2TB with sectors > 512 bytes. My guess is, like FAT32 volumes > 32GB, it would begrudgingly support them just fine. I also imagine many enclosed external solutions don't give you control over the low-level filesystem details, but I might give WD a try.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sonic Angel Knight, Yes.