PS3 4.81 exploit to be released by Christmas

UltramanMHA Nov 6, 2017.

1. Vorde

Vorde GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    Yeah basically the way the main CPU or processor is layed out dictates exactly how you need to program for it, and since they hired IBM to make a high efficiency CPU, it's different than what you have in your PC or phones, and it makes it much more difficult to program for it. Since these people who are porting over different code to the PS3, it's like someone handing you a bible in English, and expecting you to write it in Japanese... except you have no dictionary, and you have to figure out all the vocabulary on your own.

That's funny, probably left over code from the developer they hired to do their porting from Netflix company

Subtle Demise and esc0rtd3w like this.
  2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Sounds like the story about the atari jaguar :unsure:

Not sure if i should respect devs for this... CHALLENGE or hate sony for this DECISION

esc0rtd3w and Vorde like this.
  3. esc0rtd3w

esc0rtd3w Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2017
    United States
    on a side note, if anyone is curious or interested, Netflix ported WebKit to the PS3 originally (so i hear) and many apps use a WebKit SPRX or have code in EBOOT or Javascript/XML/INI, etc. I have done some testing just from curiosity and as long as the app is not loading Silk, and is loading WebKit, the entrypoints from the PS3 Playground test page and GitHub and exploits should also work on them. Although from my tests I have not got a kernel crash yet, I can get NetFlix, PSN Store, and other apps to behave "badly" :evil:

4. iAqua

iAqua

GBAtemp Patron
    iAqua is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    hykem again, i bet.

5. Vorde

Vorde GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    Maybe he will be successful and keep it to himself, but that's the developers decision, it's not like they get paid for their releases.

6. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I used to have netflix but i stopped, price increase and hardly found stuff I like watching, mostly used it for anime. But i heard it was unable to use without signing into psn which I didn't like. Besides wii u had gamepad mode so it was my go to for awhile. (If only game pad had better louder speakers, or bluetooth headphones, hope switch comes through) :ninja:

7. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    What is the exploit exactly? CFW?

8. Vorde

Vorde GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    Definition "a software tool designed to take advantage of a flaw in a computer system, typically for malicious purposes such as installing malware."
    In this case it would be used to install CFW while still on the newest OFW

9. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    Exploits can vary, I want to know how this exploit benefits us. Possibly it's for CFW but no one has said anything yet. :(

Vorde likes this.
  10. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Interesting.
    I thought the PS3 scene was slowly dying.

UltramanMHA likes this.
  11. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Does this mean that 4.81 will be the new 3.55?

KiiWii likes this.
  12. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    Seinegald
    if this is true, and we get to run rebug on 4.xx i will go downtown and fetch a ps3 super slim !!
    because my fatso ps3 is like 7 years old now and it has overheating issues at times.

13. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    I'm just mainly waiting for the exploit to release just to buy a super slim, since the only PS3 I have is a Fat one and ylod me months ago :(

14. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Would be interesting. I have a CFW PS3 running Rebug, but it's a launch machine. It has hardware PS2 compatibility which is great, but those old models seem like ticking time bombs before they YLOD. I've replaced the thermal paste in mine and increased the fan speed to be sure, but I'd certainly consider a Super Slim instead if it were exploitble.

weatMod likes this.
  15. Stephano

Stephano pessimism = Realism

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Nowhere
    I'm surprised this thread isn't blowing up that much.

UltramanMHA likes this.
  16. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    Well, the thread at PSXHAX is blowing up.

17. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Would be cheaper to just buy an updated PS3 than to try and find another 3.55 system or pay to have my slim repaired. I really hope this does allow installation of CFW but it may be similar to the exploits on Wii U and early 3DS ones where it has to be run every power cycle, and doesn't have access to low-level things.

Last edited by Subtle Demise, Nov 7, 2017
  18. UltramanMHA
    OP

UltramanMHA Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2017
    United Kingdom
    I mean, what? This project in no way resembles the Hykem situation at all. Esc0rtD3w has no reason to not release the exploit, and he's constantly being updating us to how the project is going.

Talk about being cynical, jesus christ.

19. Sfekke

Sfekke Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2017
    Belgium
    This is some awesome news :yayps3:

I never expected this, esc0rtd3w a-we-s-o-m-e job!
    A Dreamcast scenario is what I had planned, awesome system no way to mod the gosh darn thing.
    While I do admit to being a bit bu*thurt about the Super Slim support, got my CEH-4K for € 50 about 1 year back so CFW would be a great addition.
    Anyhow lets hope at some point these seemingly uncrackable shells get cracked with great force :evil:

Sidenote:
    I lost access to my old GBATemp account, hotmail account is gone + hotmail seems to have trouble on GBATemp.

esc0rtd3w likes this.
  20. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    RPCS3 works quite good actually. EDIT nvrm mind i misread

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted