PS3 2003a with not working blue ray

dougal22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
Hi. I was given a free PS3 Slim 2003 non working but I found out it’s just the ribbon cable for the power switch. I ordered another but for now I am able to switch it on by shorting the pins.

Anyway, it boots fine to XMB but the blue ray drive seems dead as it won’t do anything. It has some software on it like HEN and some other stuff. There are also 3 games in the Game menu. But when I try and launch them the screen goes black and then it crashes and makes a horrible sound through the speakers of the tv. Is this because of the blue ray ?

Will a nobd cfw fix it ?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are also 3 games in the Game menu. But when I try and launch them the screen goes black and then it crashes and makes a horrible sound through the speakers of the tv.
If those games were pirated, means that the system was modded before (hen or cfw), and it makes sense that they won't work if cfw or hen was removed from the system.
You said it has hen software? Activate hen and see if they work.
Go to system settings and look what firmware you have, and if you have cfw installed or not.
And btw, hen doesn't have a no-bd type hack like with cfw..
Is this because of the blue ray ?
Maybe, depends on the above.
Will a nobd cfw fix it ?
Maybe. Worth a try i guess?

Last edited by CoolMe,

dougal22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
If those games were pirated, means that the system was modded before (hen or cfw), and it makes sense that they won't work if cfw or hen was removed from the system.
You said it has hen software? Activate hen and see if they work.
Go to system settings and look what firmware you have, and if you have cfw installed or not.

Maybe, depends on the above.

Maybe. Worth a try i guess?

When switching on the system just before the XMB comes up there is the HEN logo on the top right of the boot screen. Then I went to Game and launched hen. It launches fine but after a few seconds it says some message about not being able to update (the PS3 is connected to wifi). I then tried launch each of the 3 games but all of them do the same problem. I don't know if they are pirated or not. I am at work now but when I go home I will check the firmware installed in settings.
Maybe the installed games were installed before the blue ray drive stopped working. I did check the drive, the power cable is hooked up ok but the ribbon data cable is not "locked" into place on the mother board. I am not sure how the lock works or if it even is working properly. I tried pressing it down with the cable in but I was afraid to push too hard in case I break it.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but the ribbon data cable is not "locked" into place on the mother board. I am not sure how the lock works or if it even is working properly.
You need to lock it otherwise it'l won't be in place and thus can't be detected (Blu-ray drive) by the system. Use 2 long flat screwdrivers one to hold it in place and the other to lock the clip mechanism.
May i ask what led to removing the drive in the first place? Other than maybe cleaning the system inside out?

dougal22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
You need to lock it otherwise it'l won't be in place and thus can't be detected (Blu-ray drive) by the system. Use 2 long flat screwdrivers one to hold it in place and the other to lock the clip mechanism.
May i ask what led to removing the drive in the first place? Other than maybe cleaning the system inside out?

Well, as I said I got it for free as broken and not even powering on. The system has already been apart. The cable for the power/eject was in the wrong way and also slightly damaged. The blue ray cable was loose/not locked already and to me it too looks to be installed badly but I am not sure. I was afraid to try and lock it. I have never worked on a PS3.
Post automatically merged:

I went in system info and it says Version 4.89
Post automatically merged:

I connected the blue ray properly (I think) and now the games installed on the HDD are working fine. I try and insert a disc in the blue ray it makes a sound but its not taking the disc.

Last edited by dougal22,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb