PS1/2 PS2 takes a long time to read discs

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I opened it up and see that it often simply stops spinning the disc and does not try too hard to read the disc. It seems to work fine otherwise and reads just about everything including burned games and dvd-rw discs as well (I have 2 fat models and the other one works faster but wont read -rw)

I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help it out. I cleaned and tried the diagnosis mode. Everything seems fine. Usually a ps2 disc will autoboot but I always have to launch from the browser on this one. Sometimes it won't read in the browser either and it will tell me "no data" is on the disc. What is happening is its not even spinning the disc or trying to read it.

Once a game reads it seems to play perfectly fine.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't use -RW disc with PS2. -RW has lower reflectivity, and that makes laser works extra hard to read data.

In short, -RW kills laser on PS2 faster than you think.

Have you tried legit PS2 disc? I think your problem lies with you using cheap disc, not quality one.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I used legit PS2 discs. This is actually my friends console and had never played burnt discs till I got my hands on it. I thought it probably had a bad laser from the problems he had with it that he described to me.

I only mentioned the DVD-RW because it makes me think the laser is not the cause. My console that I put a brand new laser in won't even read the DVD-RW.....they are both SCPH-3000 models I believe but his definitely seems a bit newer than mine and is a bit different on the inside. I guess -RW reading was something the originals did not have but that was added later.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
If it is a fat ps2 then try to get a network adapter and 100-120GB IDE hard drive and play games from there.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
While later revision allows you to use DVD+R or RW due to better drive, you are still advised to use quality DVD-R. And no, Verbatium is not a quality source. I only recommend Tayio Yuden DVD-R.

Make sure you patch each disc with ESR before burning them. Also, burn at the highest speed your burner and disc supports. Burning at the lowest speed is nothing but a myth (does more harm than good).

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it is a fat ps2 then try to get a network adapter and 100-120GB IDE hard drive and play games from there.

That's how I set mine up but I don't think my friend wants to spend the money to set his up like that.

His laser sled adjustment mechanism is completely different than mine but adjusting it had no effect either. It seems like the console is just lazy, it works fine it just likes to take it's damn time and do as little work spinning the disc as possible.

I only used the DVD-RW as a test. There was a movie on it and it played fine. I then used the same disc and burned RE code Veronica X on it. It loaded up and played...a bit wonky but it played with some FMV stutter but that was just once, most of the FMV was smooth. Interestingly it didn't like my PSone Dual Shock controller and I could only get it working with a Logitech Wireless PS2 controller. So I think the laser is perfectly fine...the PS2 works really quitely too, way quiter than mine. Everything seems fine on the inside and I cleaned the laser......it just spins slow initially and often stops spinning all together. When my console had trouble reading discs with my original laser it work really hard spinning the disc fast and the laser sled jumping all over trying to read data.

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
Burning at lower speed does result in lower errors usually.

Actually there is a way to check it. With Nero DiscSpeed or Opti Drive Control.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
Only data matters. Speculation articles do nothing.

There is even a way to make it yourself.

And I did not make it, but I read a lot of posts how DVDs written at 16x lags on videos and 4x is fine. Of cource media and drive can make difference too.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be the drive motor too.

I am thinking it is this but I am having trouble finding a replacement part.

It is SCPH 3001 model, I will have to look up the serial number.

This is just the little spinner thing right. All the ones I am finding on line are saying they are for newer models....oldest ones I see on ebay are for 3900

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
And I did not make it, but I read a lot of posts how DVDs written at 16x lags on videos and 4x is fine. Of cource media and drive can make difference too.
A lot of people who has problem burning at rated speed turns out are using crappy burner and/or crappy disc.

I am thinking it is this but I am having trouble finding a replacement part.

It is SCPH 3001 model, I will have to look up the serial number.

This is just the little spinner thing right. All the ones I am finding on line are saying they are for newer models....oldest ones I see on ebay are for 3900
If you can't find it just buy an as-is 3001 model and salvage the drive motor.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally found a place that sells them

http://store.richspsxparts.com/sphuforpl2.html

I guess I need a v4. Prices are not the best....Selling laser for $50 when I got one for around $10 on ebay.

I am going to see if swapping the laser from my other PS2 helps first I think before I order.

I am guessing the ability to read -RW discs is governed by the drivers and not the hardware....I guess I will test this when I do the swap. No way to change the drivers on an old console though is there.....

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Swapped the laser and it still is doing it.

I don't even thin the spinner will help and am debating whether I should try to swap it.

I was told it was probably the laser and that if the spinner is working than its not the problem. The spinner seems like it will be a pain to try and swap out.

It will actually stop spinning the disc, but if you give it some time it will eventually start spinning again and read the disc with no problems. Just a bizarre problem.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I am OCD, but this is still driving me crazy. I am going to adjust the pots and see if it helps, I have an ohm meter.

I was thinking, how does the ps2 know it has a disc in it? Maybe it's that mechanism that is acting wonky. I noticed a small piece of black plastic coming off the spinner motor that I can press in. Does the laser press this in it something? Maybe I'll try and mess with that piece, maybe it's a brake and its sticking or something when the laser triggers it the first time.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my ps2 did the same thing with retail games, i don't know why, but it did just like you said, it took forever to read the disc and for like 90% of disc reading it was not even spinning.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally found a place that sells them

http://store.richspsxparts.com/sphuforpl2.html

I guess I need a v4. Prices are not the best....Selling laser for $50 when I got one for around $10 on ebay.

Well, for $50 you're guaranteed a new laser, who knows what you're getting off of ebay. The one I got from that site works great, anywho. Replaced the 400b in my v4 30001 with a 400c, now no probs, but I don't use RW. No one should be using RW on a PS2.

I was thinking, how does the ps2 know it has a disc in it?

It assumes there is a disc in if the tray is shut (lid is closed on slim) and tries to read. If it gets nothing back it gives up. I don't know all the tech behind what it's doing, just I've watched my PS2's with the top off (sensor blocked on slim) and that's what it does.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, for $50 you're guaranteed a new laser, who knows what you're getting off of ebay. The one I got from that site works great, anywho. Replaced the 400b in my v4 30001 with a 400c, now no probs, but I don't use RW. No one should be using RW on a PS2.

It assumes there is a disc in if the tray is shut (lid is closed on slim) and tries to read. If it gets nothing back it gives up. I don't know all the tech behind what it's doing, just I've watched my PS2's with the top off (sensor blocked on slim) and that's what it does.

I have 2 consoles I am using to troubleshoot this, so I know the laser works fine. The good PS2 will boot games immediately with either laser and the "bad" one will always go to the browser and take a long time to read the disc. I have observed it with the top off, thats how I know the spinning sequence. It spins it for just a little bit and then just stops, it then sits there doing absolutely nothing for a good little bit, then out of nowhere it spins again and immediately and instantly reads the disc with no trouble at all.

So I know the spinner works and I know the laser works. The console works fine and plays every disc I have thrown at it (and the RW disc was simply a test to see if it would work, the good console is an older software version that will not). I was thinking of taking the battery out of the bad one as well just to see if maybe that would clear some software glitch, but I don't know where the battery is....on the good console it is plain to see when I open it up but it's located somewhere different on the bad one)

If I could find a good tutorial on changing out the spinner motor I would probably try that, but it just seems like a major pain to get to it. I already had to take the thing almost completely apart to swap out the reset/eject ribbon cable (sticker came off and when I put it back together I had a screw go through the cable) and even then I did not remember seeing easy access to where the motor cable connected.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte