Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I was browsing Craig's List, and came upon a PS2 with 15 games, two controllers and two wireless guitars for $35. I jumped at the deal, particularly given I was heading out that way the next day. I got it now, and it works like a charm. And I want to mod it.

It's a slim SCPH 70001 model. I have little clue as to what to do, so be newb friendly. Soft modding is far preferable, but I can solder. Really, I just want to play MGS 2, 3, Persona 3 FES and Okami in any form. Any help?

Edit: I hear some games can be exploited to run the MCBoot thing. Only one I have that might work is Ratchet Deadlocked.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If you have a memory card I can get FreeMCBoot on it for you just pay postage. Then you can patch your back-up games with esr and run them that way.

Edit: I'm going to bed just pm me if your interested I'll check up on it in the morning.

Riicky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Requirements:
Original retail 007 Agent Under Fire
Blank discs - Use good quality
Apache v1.1
IMGBurn
PC with CD/DVD burner
uLaunchELF
FreeMcBoot

Step 1
1. Make a .iso image of 007 Agent Under Fire using dvd decrypter or imgburn.
2. Extract the uncompressed BOOT.ELF from the uLaunchELF rar and rename it to DRIVING.ELF

Step 2
1. Use Apache to open the .iso image u made.
2. highlight "DRIVING.ELF" in apache on your right side
3. select "ISO Tools" from the tab above, now select "Change TOC for Selected File", change the "Size (dec)" to 915196, don't change the LBA. This is the file size of the "uncompressed BOOT.ELF". (if your using a different uLaunchELF file, right click the file on your pc and select properties, the first "Size" is the size in bytes. This is the size you need to use in Apache)
4. with "DRIVING.ELF" still highlighted, select "ISO Tools" again, now select "Update Selected File", select the DRIVING.ELF file that was ulaunchelf's "uncompressed BOOT.ELF" you rename, it will say "selected file replaced".
5. Burn the edited ISO to disc with DVD Decrypter / IMGBurn

Step 3
1. Put the orignal ps2 game in your ps2 now.
2. play the game until you make it to the 2nd level which is the DRIVING level, then save your game
3. Return to the main menu, swap trick your original for your backup and when you select the 2nd level, it'll boot to ulaunchelf

You should now see the uLE main screen and from there you can install FMCB off your USB stick.
-- Ensure the USB stick is connected. Press O button for the FileBrowser in the uLaunchElf screen, move down to mass:/ and hit O, then move down to select FREE_MCBOOT.ELF and hit O to run it.

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
...Except I don't have 007 Agent underfire. I'll send my yet-to-be-bought memory card to someone, after I check if any of my friends have modded PS2s. Once I do that, anything else I need to do besides patch my games with ESR?

Also thanks 431unknown. I might take you up on that.

cornaljoe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just spent half today doing this myself. I got a copy of 007 Agent Under Fire from a local Gamestop for $4. You should be able to do this with Ratchet Deadlock just instead of replacing DRIVING.ELF you will have to do NTGUI.ELF. One thing I found out the hard way is that you have to block the sensors to do this swap trick. This is the video guide I used on Youtube: PS2 Sensor Block

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
RoMee said:
I've always wanted to tried Memor32, but my PS2 died
http://memor32.com/

I haven't look into it for a while now so I don't know how the support is, but here's a demo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JXVJlvrcrE...feature=related

Free McBoot is superior to a Memor32 memory card. Ok it does not have that much memory, and not an usb port, but if you have some usb storage that's not a problem. Oh yeah and there's the problem how to get it, but even if you decide you can't do it yourself and send to someone to do it for you, it's cheaper. Even if your card would get "lost" 2 times in that process, which i haven't heard to happen btw.

In exchange it allows to run any ps2 homebrew, and ESR is said to have a higher compatiblity than the loader from the Memor32 card itself. ESR and Memor32's loader work in the same way and discs patched for the one, work in the other too.

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Okay then.

Step 1. Get a memory Card.

Step 2 a: Install Free MCBoot with ratchet deadlocked
Step 2 b: Send my memory card to someone else to mod

Edit: I successfully blocked all the sensors. I'm good to run a hacked copy of ratchet as soon as I get me self a proper memory card.

cornaljoe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
Okay then.

Step 1. Get a memory Card.

Step 2 a: Install Free MCBoot with ratchet deadlocked
Step 2 b: Send my memory card to someone else to mod

Edit: I successfully blocked all the sensors. I'm good to run a hacked copy of ratchet as soon as I get me self a proper memory card.

Nice, one thing is that some 3rd party memory cards still work. I have a 16MB Max Memory card that works fine. It came with my used PS2 but it still has a $9.99 price sticker on the back. I'm sure they are cheaper now. You should be able to get one for like 3-5 bucks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Creamy milk