PS2 emulator on PS3?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by johncenafan427, Jan 24, 2011.

1. johncenafan427
    OP

johncenafan427 GBAtemp Fan

May 11, 2010
    United States
    Troy, Michigan
    hey this is probably a stupid question, but i have to ask it:

is there/will there a ps2 emulator for ps3?

i have the ps3 that is incompatible with ps2 games, but i can still create a virtual ps2 memory card.

i was just curious.

thanks guys!

2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Yes, even if it's only a PoC (meaning it will not play retail games properly).

3. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    anyone can create a virtual mc (for ps1 and ps2)
    someone would have to create a emulator to do it as the ps3's now are missing the hardware to do so

4. xraven13

xraven13 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 11, 2009
    Croatia
    What is the name of PS2 emulator for PS3 ? Also, what about PSP emulator ?

5. luke_c

luke_c Big Boss

Jun 16, 2008
    Land of England
    It was just a PoC incorporated into MultiMAN, it doesn't work. There is no PSP emulator.
    Give it time.

6. famousginni

famousginni GBAtemp Regular

May 9, 2008
    Canada
    LOL I would just grab a used PS2 from craigslist or something and use that instead of waiting for emul to take place.
    I've seen PS2's on there for like $40 with a ton of extras. You just gotta look carefully, and have patience [​IMG]

7. Pyrmon

Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Sep 25, 2010
    Canada
    Montreal
    Or emulate the PS2 on a computer...

8. johncenafan427
    OP

johncenafan427 GBAtemp Fan

May 11, 2010
    United States
    Troy, Michigan
    can i do that with actual discs?

because i still kept my ps2 collection after selling it for the ps3.
    also is there a way to put my gamesaves onto my computer?

9. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    PS2 games are DVDs, can be read in a normal drive last I checked.

10. uiaad

uiaad Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Remember tho, PS2 emulation is still far from perfect and you still need a pretty beefy machine to get most games close to playable.

11. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Which, after the rotten experience I had trying to get even PS1 games to work, is just asking for a migraine.

Literally, out of the dozen or so emulators, bios downloads, plugins to check and re-check, the only emulator that ever worked correctly for PS1 games every single time, was the crippled demo build of Bleem... which thanks to Sony's legal team, had to close its doors so you can't even legally buy it anymore. Everything else I'd tried, from AdriPSX to ePSXe, never worked, or only worked the first day, and then was completely unusable within a day or two for whatever reason. And I doubt Bleem would even work on Windows 7 now. [​IMG]

As much as I've had it with unreliable Sony hardware, I am stuck buying playstations because I can't get any of these PC emulators to work.

As for the PS3, I would love to see something like this; it would make me a lot less skittish regarding the slims, and at least give me some reprieve if ever my 60gig model konks out. But given how many lies Sony has said about the Cell before and after ps3's launch, I'm not exactly holding out hope that it's going to be powerful enough to run a fluid PS2 emulator any time soon.

12. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    It wasn't even an emulator, it was POC for launching PS2, but only on BC PS3's. AFIK, nothing has even been hinted at for getting PS2 to work on non-BC PS3's. Some say the differences in architecture make the likelihood of ever seeing such a thing (that works well enough to make it worth using, anyway) to be somewhere between nope and HELL NAW.

13. deethebee

deethebee GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2008
    United States
    oregonazm!
    I'm selling my 80gb ps3 CECHE-01 (one that can play ps1 and ps2 games) if anyone is interested [​IMG]

Pm me

14. Praxis

Praxis GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2009
    United States
    Weren't the later pre-slim PS3's backwards compatible in software, while still missing the hardware compatibility from the first gen PS3?

Would it be possible to port the emulator or software solution Sony had on those later PS3 phat's to the slim?

15. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    No... only early 80gig model ps3's (and 60gig Euro) had software BC. Starting with the 40gig phat, they lost BC since. [​IMG]

16. allterran

allterran Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2009
    United States
    Florida, USA
    The PHAT models you're speaking of had the GPU and only emulated the EE. Where the First set had both the GPU and EE.