PS1/2 PS2* defeated - MechaPwn

phi6

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok thanks I'll give it a go. Worst case, none of this works - but I should be able to play backup CD-R versions of my import PS1 games on my PAL 50003?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you need to keep FMCB/USB stick inserted after setting up Mecapwn? Can it work from coldboot as well?
It is a permanent modification that stays without anything plugged in.
Keep a Memory Card with FreeMCBoot multi installation ready. Prepare a multi before using Mechapwn. Region changing will make non-multi installations useless and you might lock yourself out.

SREGGOP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bahamas, The
I guess I will need a PS1 memory card if I want to save my PS1 games?

EDIT: I have a 7000X I can only play PAL PS1 games I guess?

Although I'm confused because it says "disable region check" which makes me think that it can play games from all regions?

Last edited by SREGGOP,

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I will need a PS1 memory card if I want to save my PS1 games?

EDIT: I have a 7000X I can only play PAL PS1 games I guess?

Although I'm confused because it says "disable region check" which makes me think that it can play games from all regions?
Try seeing if PS1VMODENEG boots out of region games.

Reactions: SREGGOP

Dogspeed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
So with a 7000X you can play PS2 backups from all regions when you have Mechapwn installed? If I only used FreeDVDBoot I wouldn't be able to run both NTSC, PAL PS2 games and PAL PS1 games on my PAL PS2? but with Mechapwn + FreeDVDboot it would work?

Do you even still need FreeDVDboot if you install Mechapwn? or can you just play a regular burnt .iso backup DVD/CD?

If not, how would you need to burn a PS1 backup to make it work with Mechapwn? (as I understand Freedvdboot is only for PS2 games?)

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So with a 7000X you can play PS2 backups from all regions when you have Mechapwn installed? If I only used FreeDVDBoot I wouldn't be able to run both NTSC, PAL PS2 games and PAL PS1 games on my PAL PS2? but with Mechapwn + FreeDVDboot it would work?

Do you even still need FreeDVDboot if you install Mechapwn? or can you just play a regular burnt .iso backup DVD/CD?

If not, how would you need to burn a PS1 backup to make it work with Mechapwn? (as I understand Freedvdboot is only for PS2 games?)

FreeDVDBoot is not required but will still work for games already patched as such. PS2 games need to be patched as master discs and run via the launch disc option on FMCB or launching the game via u/wLaunchElf if you do not patch them for FreeDVDBoot. All PS1 games however just need to be burned and run normally but running PAL PS1 games on NTSC or Vice Versa requires using PS1VModeNeg to launch the game so it sets the proper video mode.

Dogspeed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
FreeDVDBoot is not required but will still work for games already patched as such. PS2 games need to be patched as master discs and run via the launch disc option on FMCB or launching the game via u/wLaunchElf if you do not patch them for FreeDVDBoot. All PS1 games however just need to be burned and run normally but running PAL PS1 games on NTSC or Vice Versa requires using PS1VModeNeg to launch the game so it sets the proper video mode.
thank you for the info!

Reactions: Alexander1970

Dogspeed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
sort of unrelated question but still relevant:

Will NTSC games look fine on a PAL PS2 with PAL TV? As I understand they use a different frequency or resolution?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sort of unrelated question but still relevant:

Will NTSC games look fine on a PAL PS2 with PAL TV? As I understand they use a different frequency or resolution?
If your TV accepts NTSC then it will be fine. I live in NTSC territory where PAL does not work on a lot of TVs but i heard PAL TVs usually handle NTSC.

Reactions: Dogspeed

Dogspeed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
If your TV accepts NTSC then it will be fine. I live in NTSC territory where PAL does not work on a lot of TVs but i heard PAL TVs usually handle NTSC.
I've read it should be fine as long as I connect with RBG/Scart. Composite is the only one that could not be compatible with a PAL TV depending on the model of the TV.

D

Deleted User

i don't know if anyone has mentioned this anywhere, i couldn't find anything directly mentioning it but..... i put a copy of my tekken tag disc on a backup CD (only cd based ps2 game i own) and tried to run it..... black screen, checked in under ulaunchelf, shows up as a ps1 disc, tried to run disc...... black screen. lastly i loaded in ulaunchelf again, this time instead of running it i checked the files in the disc and ran the slus file directly instead system.cnf like it would normally and bam, smooth tiddies. i did do a master disc patch so that might be required but this WILL run ps2 cd-rom games straight off a cd if booted this way

SilverLuxx

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hay Guys, i am somewhat lost concerning what version of PS2 i should buy for my needs:

I want to Play NTSC PS1 Games and Japanese PS1 games with english patches.
I want to buy a NTSC Console. (And it would be great, if it was a SLIM one with external PSU).

It would be great, if you could help me.
Thanks in Advance.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hay Guys, i am somewhat lost concerning what version of PS2 i should buy for my needs:

I want to Play NTSC PS1 Games and Japanese PS1 games with english patches.
I want to buy a NTSC Console. (And it would be great, if it was a SLIM one with external PSU).

It would be great, if you could help me.
Thanks in Advance.
How is this question related to the MechaPwn exploit?
Model compatibility and what can be achieved with MechaPwn on each model is explained in the README.md.

Anyway, the 7xxxx models are slim consoles with external power supply (while the 9xxxx have an internal one like the older, fat consoles).

Good luck and have fun!

SilverLuxx

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How is this question related to the MechaPwn exploit?
Model compatibility and what can be achieved with MechaPwn on each model is explained in the Readme

Anyway, the 7xxxx models are slim consoles with external power supply (while the 9xxxx have an internal one like the older, fat consoles).

Good luck and have fun!
Thank you very Much
I red the Readme but couldn't figure out, what consoles where compatible and which were not (Or even if Consoles weren't compatible).

Anyway, now i know which way to go!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
github.com/MechaResearch/MechaPwn/blob/master/README.md said:
This means Playstation 2 consoles from the SCPH-5000X systems all the way to the SCPH-90000X are supported
Only the latest fat consoles (model number starting with 5) are MechaPwn compatible, but all slim PS2.

There are some restrictions on PAL and NTSC-J 7000x.

Just read it again. It takes a while to comprehend everything.

MatrixMan

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have an SCPH-75003 which I converted to DTL-H75001. It still supports FreeDVDBoot.
(Embarrassingly I had to rely on this to reinstall FreeMCBoot - because it disabled my FreeMCBoot installation, which was not a multi-region install)
As for playing DVD videos - I don't have any American DVDs to check. But it seems to at least say that the disc region is not supported when I insert a European DVD, which suggests the DVD player is working on some level.
On my other console (SCPH-50003 -> DTL-H50003) trying to use any DVD video returns to the OSD immediately.
The ROM in DECKARD consoles is supposed to be region free but not on earlier consoles so this behavior makes sense to me.

I'm not sure if the very latest consoles - the v2.30 bios which shipped with SCPH-9000x consoles with date code 8C or later and which do not support FreeMCBoot - support DVD player updates.
I have an SCPH-75004 which I converted to DTL-H75001, and it also still supports FreeDVDBoot. I also had to reinstall FreeMCBoot again through FreeDVDBoot. Initially I had converted my SCPH-75004 to DTL-H75004, but that only ran all PAL PS1 games, and not NTSC games although I still had my FreeMCBoot in tact on DTL-H75004. So I guess my FreeMCBoot (bought off eBay) is not a multi-region installation. DTL-H75001 runs all PAL and NTSC PS1 games and even gives an NTSC display on my TV for PAL PS1 games. I even tested on an old CRT TV that was only PAL-compatible, and the NTSC games were still displayed and in full colour. So this is definitely the equivalent of a hardmod.

I can confirm DTL-H75001 runs NTSC (American) video DVDs, and not PAL (European) video DVDs whether they are retail or burned. Interestingly, SCPH-75004 runs all DVDs from all regions, even though DTL-H75001 seems to run original and burned PS1 games from all regions.

I am very surprised that KleinesSinchen said he lost his FreeDVDBoot on a 77XXX series console - I would have thought that converting a SCPH-77004 to DTL-H77004 logically would have been the safest option, considering the model numbers are identical... Notwithstanding that there are some issues running Mechapwn on consoles before the 75XXX series, it seems as if the 75XXX series are the best PS2 consoles to run MechaPwn...

While I have converted my SCPH-75004 console to both to DTL-H75001 and DTL-H75004 at different times, I am a little apprehensive to check what happens if I convert it to any other region just in case I lose the FreeDVDBoot ability completely, or even worse...

Last edited by MatrixMan,

Nuhai

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi! So my plan is to use the CEX option in MechaPwn to change my PAL SCPH-90004 to a SCPH-90001 to mainly play original imported NTSC-U PS1 games, do I still need the use of PS1VMODENEG or will it correctly display NTSC@60HZ? Thank you!

Reactions: driverdis

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! So my plan is to use the CEX option in MechaPwn to change my PAL SCPH-90004 to a SCPH-90001 to mainly play original imported NTSC-U PS1 games, do I still need the use of PS1VMODENEG or will it correctly display NTSC@60HZ? Thank you!
I believe you do not need it when using 90001 as it outputs NTSC. I always do DTL over normal since debug units do region-free PS1 and can switch with PS1VMODENEG. i personally use DTL-90004 on a chipped system myself to bypass AntiMod PS1 games while retaining PS2 region-free support.

Nuhai

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Alright so I have tried both CEX and DTL and both will not work on a PAL SCPH-90004 for ORIGINAL ps1 games, backups work sometimes but not always on DTL option. I have tried DTL-90000, DTL-900001, DTL-90004 and none of them read original NTSC/UC Final Fantasy IX unfortunately, so I think PAL Deckard consoles just don't have the option to run original PS1 games and backups are iffy as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?