PS2, Cogswap leading to black screen

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by 1stkirbyever, Mar 27, 2010.

Mar 27, 2010
  1. 1stkirbyever
    OP

Newcomer 1stkirbyever Advanced Member

United States
    I've been trying to get the working on my own, I've gotten Cogswap working via memory card exploit, anyway I've tried using this with three different games, each lead me to a black screen, I'm using "Fujifilm DVD-R" brand, I've also tried DVD+R, burning using imgburn at x2.4, I've tried searching and had no luck, so does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

2. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Are you swapping the discs correctly? What method do you use, and when do you do it?

And about your discs, can't you get high quality media, crap will kill your laser. And don't use 2.4 speed, you should get better results wit 4x or 8x, and 2.4x is a DVD+R only speed, i hope you didn't try that on a DVD-R.

3. 1stkirbyever
    OP

United States
    Yes I am swapping the discs correctly, the method I'm using is the exploited Memory card (Using an Action replay max), I just recently created the exploit, for the swapping I insert the Disc I use to boot the exploit, when I start cogswap I eject the disc and put in a PS2-DVD (Retail), Once the screen loads I push the X button to switch to cogswap, it's then I swap the discs, after swapping my discs I press X again to boot up the disc, that's when it leads to the black screen. Just to let you know, no I'm not using a slim, using a fat PS2.

4. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Hmm if you already could install the memory card exploit why you not just use FMC Boot btw the launcher that comes with it. Well you need to patch the games then but it works totally fine.

http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=exploit.html

5. 1stkirbyever
    OP

United States
    It's still not working, would it be the brand of disc i'm using? Though I doubt it, other then that, I have no idea what to do.

6. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Ok sounds like you are using it the right way. You should try ESR with a patched disc, but i doubt it will work. To me it sounds like your media is too bad to work and/or the laser needs to be adjusted. And if you need to adjust your laser and do it, be prepared to see your ps2 dying. Seriously if it's a quality problem now and you get slightly better burns that start to work but not well, that's very bad for the laser. The more problems it has to read the discs, the earlier it dies.

The launcher is called ESR. Anyways, i see 3 reasons for cogswap instead of ESR:
    No need to patch discs
    different compatiblity
    And it's a bit less picky when it comes to the disc quality. I have a few discs that are ESR patched and only worked via cogswap for me, while other(better) burns of the same games worked in both. Oh and that was in a ps2 that died a few weeks later.

7. Sao Mortel

Member Sao Mortel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
  8. 1stkirbyever
    OP

United States
    Ok so, I've tried every single disc and only one disc seems to work, "Memorex DVD-R" it seems either the PS2 doesn't read other DVD-R discs, anyway a mod can lock this now, for everyone who tried to help me thank you.
    Now only if I had more discs

9. justinefremlouw

Member justinefremlouw GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Maybe it's just fujifilm...I always use TDK and they work perfect. BTW, the recommended ones are Sony or Taiyo Yuden DVDs...

10. NoSmokingBandit

Member NoSmokingBandit GBAtemp Fan

United States
    PS2s are really picky, the worst of any console i've modded. It will cost less to get a network adapter and dig up an old ide hdd.