Hacking PS1 Emulator for Wii?

Mysticcal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
maybe I'll start working on one being a CS major this would be a good project for me.

then it'll end up like Wii Miidia...

zing.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
RyuKakashi said:
Volkov said:
PS3 can play PS1 games?

Yes.

http://www.ps3comp.com/view.asp

Finally more people not trolling.
grog.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't see why a PS1 emulator wouldn't be possible on the Wii. The PS1 was a pretty basic machine at it's heart, it just had a really nice 3D processor to back it up.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Wii has a faster CPU than PSP. When it comes to emulation, they should be fairly close.
Wii already beats PSP in SNES performance. So PS1 and GBA are doable if PSP's emulators are any indication.

We can already do GBA, so that one was obvious. But that's a good point, I reckon the PS1 could easily be emulated (hardware-wise) on the Wii, it's just a case of doing lots of work and effort to actually get it done.

Also, on the subject of PSP, does anyone know of any emulators being made of it? The last time I checked for a PC one, there was only one project going. The most it had managed was the Tales title screen, and the project seems to have died since that was a chieved. Any news on it?
I always assumed the PSP wouldn't be that hard to emulate, seeing as its hardware isn't particularly powerful. I guess that isn't half of it then.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theclaw said:
Wii has a faster CPU than PSP. When it comes to emulation, they should be fairly close.

Wii already beats PSP in SNES performance. So PS1 and GBA are doable if PSP's emulators are any indication.

Comparing systems' performance based on arbitrary factors is rediculous.

Performance of an emulator is more dependent on the developer's knowledge of both sets of hardware and proper implementation, than it is about the hardware itself.

From an absolute standpoint, where we have limitless development, the Wii would run circles around the PSP and even be able to emulate it. However, since we don't, we see performance issues where there shouldn't be... and that's strictly development related.

Volsfan91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the love of God, please stop comparing the Wii's chances of emulating the PS1 to the PSP's emulator.

That emulator was coded by Sony.

Didn't Bushing tell you guys to stop comparing two totally unlike systems?

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Volsfan91 said:
For the love of God, please stop comparing the Wii's chances of emulating the PS1 to the PSP's emulator.

Bushing isn't the end all and be all.

But, actually, the PS1 and PSP use nearly identical hardware to retain compatibility. The PSP is essentially a PS2, but instead of the EE, it uses a mobile GPU.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
Volsfan91 said:

Bushing isn't the end all and be all.

But, actually, the PS1 and PSP use nearly identical hardware to retain compatibility. The PSP is essentially a PS2, but instead of the EE, it uses a mobile GPU.

The PSP is unlike either of those systems in it's hardware architecture, boot systems, firmware manager. I could understand a PS3 comparison, but I'm really not sure where you're going with this.

Hell, every console is essentially a computer these days.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heran Bago said:
The PSP is unlike either of those systems in it's hardware architecture, boot systems, firmware manager. I could understand a PS3 comparison, but I'm really not sure where you're going with this.

Hell, every console is essentially a computer these days.

Actually, the architectures are very similar.

Both are based around MIPS processors and their GPUs have similar instruction sets.

The PSP requires very little software mediation to run PSX titles, which is why it can do so effectively.

Volsfan91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The PSP requires very little software mediation to run PSX titles, which is why it can do so effectively.

And even more than that, the main reason that it was so successful in emulating the PSX is because Sony WROTE IT.

Most emulators are written through a process of reverse engineering; with all of the documentation available and with a team of experienced coders, they wrote a very effective, intelligent emulator.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Volsfan91 said:
QUOTE said:

Uh, no.

The reason that it was so successful in emulating the PSX is because Sony WROTE IT.

Most emulators are written through a process of reverse engineering; with all of the documentation available and with a team of experienced coders, they wrote a very effective, intelligent emulator.

Uh, yes...

The hardware similarities made it an obvious step.

Granted, Sony's knowledge of their own hardware probably helped, but it's not like they were reinventing the wheel -- the PSP is just a portable PSX with a faster processor and GPU.

It's no different than how the DS can play GBA games... no mystery there.

Volsfan91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Misread your post, didn't mean to come off so vitriolic.

And yes, it is different than how the DS plays GBA games; the DS has the GBA hardware incorporated to play GBA games... whereas the PSP... doesn't...

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Volsfan91 said:
Misread your post, didn't mean to come off so vitriolic.

And yes, it is different than how the DS plays GBA games; the DS has the GBA hardware incorporated to play GBA games... whereas the PSP... doesn't...

Not quite...

The ARM7 processor in the DS is identical to the one in the GBA. Like the Wii, the additional hardware is just shut off and the DS essentially becomes a GBA.

The PSP's MIPS processor is a faster version of the MIPS processor found in the PSX.

So, essentially, neither one of them really does much emulation, as their hardware is completely capable without it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Yea I think i was supposed to say hormone replacement therapy