edit2: 128 MB of VRAM is missing from the list for Vita

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Comparing iPhone 4S with gaming consoles? Really?

When will people learn that playing games without *buttons* obstructs most of your view and simply isn't as enjoyable as originally intended? Plus, the iPhone has to "carry" the OS and its functions while playing games, so it doesn't exactly utilize its full potential.

Reactions: 5 people

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure the battery life row is wrong.

I always heard 3DS was more like 4-6 hours on full settings. I heard Vita was less than what they wrote.

Could be from different sources I guess. I don't know, I thought it was pretty confirmed the 3DS has a better battery life than the Vita.

D

Deleted_171835

Well this is pretty stupid.

Oh and until you know what clockspeed the PICA200 runs at, you can't accurately compare the GPU.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why do we compare consoles? To see what has better specs?

Will this help us further by choosing a console? No, don't think so. If so I am sorry that I say but then your dumb, since why the hell do you need good specs? As long as the games are of good quality it is okay!

Example good specs bad games --> that's my point. Then your see someone with the other console with much more fun games, you think huh you look at the screen you cry and think why chose I this console!?

never happened to me, but I know myself good enough.

Also iPHONE 4s That's something I never will understand, why do people see an iPHONE as a gameconsole? there are some small minigames. A very few big games. That's my point my fingers are blocking the screen, you can't enjoy your full game anymore!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That battery life is way off. As much as I love the Vita it's obvious that the 3DS has/will have better battery life.

And you base that claim on what exactly? The fact that it has a more advanced GPU/CPU doesn't necessarily mean that it will have shorter battery life - in fact it could mean quite the opposite. Not only that, you don't know the exact capacity of the battery yet. I'd say we might all be positively/negatively suprised by this factor, but we won't know until we actually try the game.

D

Deleted_171835

That battery life is way off. As much as I love the Vita it's obvious that the 3DS has/will have better battery life.

And you base that claim on what exactly? The fact that it has a more advanced GPU/CPU doesn't necessarily mean that it will have shorter battery life - in fact it could mean quite the opposite. Not only that, you don't know the exact capacity of the battery yet. I'd say we might all be positively/negatively suprised by this factor, but we won't know until we actually try the game.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/16/sony-playstation-vita-battery-life-as-little-as-three-hours-on/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20106218-1/sony-reveals-playstation-vita-battery-life/
http://www.1up.com/news/vita-battery-life-not-great-memory-cards-pricey

Battery life isn't great.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Also iPHONE 4s That's something I never will understand, why do people see an iPHONE as a gameconsole? there are some small minigames. A very few big games. That's my point my fingers are blocking the screen, you can't enjoy your full game anymore!

Because we're inevitably heading towards the merger of mobile phones and gaming consoles. This was attempted before with the N-Gage (with sad results), is attempted now with the Xperia Play (which is treated just as a milestone even by Sony) and the trend will carry on. The truth is that a GSM/Whatever system US uses that starts with a "c" module inside a portable gaming system opens new horizons as far as Multiplayer and DLC is concerned. The VITA's posh model will be available with a 3G module already for just that purpose, so you won't have to be bothered with Hot Spots whenever you need to get online. That said, if you're going to put a GSM module into a portable console, you can just as well add a "Phone" function.

The iPhone is treated as a console for the exact same reason - it may be used as a gaming console although it's a phone. The case was the same with the N-Gage back when it competed with the GBA and is the same with the Xperia Play that competes with... just the iPhone, I suppose.

http://www.engadget....three-hours-on/
http://news.cnet.com...a-battery-life/
http://www.1up.com/n...ry-cards-pricey

Aren't those based on the prototype console, not the finished product?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this is pretty stupid.

Oh and until you know what clockspeed the PICA200 runs at, you can't accurately compare the GPU.
The clockspeed for the ARM11 was never found out either (I don't consider IGN's information reliable or trustworthy, they already got the memory wrong). There are also multiple versions of the Pica200 out there, it's the name of a series of gpu's and not just one single one. The one they're quoting specs from is the 2006 model and was a first gen model. They fail to realize that there are more of them out there and just picked up specs from wikipedia. A newer one was shown in 2008, substantially improving over the 2006 version. The 2006 model could render about 15mil polygons per second @200mhz, the one shown in 2008 could render 40mil polygons per second at only 100mhz (vast improvement). We've no way of knowing which one it's using. Could be the oldest one, a newer one, or even a custom made one (latter is highly plausible). There's also the question of how resolution affects performance. The spec sheet for the original Pica200 showed that it was designed for a max 4k resolution. 3DS uses a very small fraction of that, so it's anyone's guess as to what the true power of the GPU is.

As it stands, the memory is really the only power-related component we have specific in-depth details on. We know the amount, manufacturer (including the exact model number apparently), speed, and how much of it is useable by games and how much is reserved by the OS.

Reactions: 1 person

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You love the Vita when it isn't even released? Fanboy...
I didn't even catch that. :lol:

Because we're inevitably heading towards the merger of mobile phones and gaming consoles. This was attempted before with the N-Gage (with sad results), is attempted now with the Xperia Play (which is treated just as a milestone even by Sony) and the trend will carry on. The truth is that a GSM/Whatever system US uses that starts with a "c" module inside a portable gaming system opens new horizons as far as Multiplayer and DLC is concerned. The VITA's posh model will be available with a 3G module already for just that purpose, so you won't have to be bothered with Hot Spots whenever you need to get online.
That thing isn't accurate.

I don't think vita can use 3g for Multiplayer nor download big amount of dlc.

Do you think Nintendo would go the portable/phone route? Do you think as of now, that any phone is a good replacement as a portable?
Tbh, I wouldn't mind some free android games on the 3ds. At times that I really can't play my real games or want to take a break from it.

I know that asking much,but I only want to pay more for Xg if there is a free amount of service I can get from it and use it for Multiplayer.
Anyone who want more than the set amount can pay.

I whether have a portable with phone functions as the side part. Other words I want a greater focus on the portable side.

I didn't even care anymore. Got my fun games and my 3d. I'm set.
I still do want vita down the line. (When it like $100 and used. :tpi: /jk)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Do you think Nintendo would go the portable/phone route? Do you think as of now, that any phone is a good replacement as a portable?
Tbh, I wouldn't mind some free android games on the 3ds. At times that I really can't play my real games or want to take a break from it.

It's not a matter of whether they want to or not - the industry will force them to in due time because that's the direction it's heading towards. At one point they will have to make that decision simply to catch up with the competition. They already "caught up" with the cameras and microphones - these were used in mobile games way before Nintendo added the features. GSM modules will not be any different.

At the end of the day, having to carry two devices when you could have one that does both functions "right" is kinda pointless. The only limitation as of today is... oddly enough, battery life. A 3DS/A VITA won't last you a whole day, hence they don't have such functionality - a phone needs to be "on" at least for 24 hours... that said... an iPhone wouldn't last a whole day of gaming anyways... so yeah - empty argument.

D

Deleted_171835

Because we're inevitably heading towards the merger of mobile phones and gaming consoles. This was attempted before with the N-Gage (with sad results), is attempted now with the Xperia Play (which is treated just as a milestone even by Sony) and the trend will carry on. The truth is that a GSM/Whatever system US uses that starts with a "c" module inside a portable gaming system opens new horizons as far as Multiplayer and DLC is concerned. The VITA's posh model will be available with a 3G module already for just that purpose, so you won't have to be bothered with Hot Spots whenever you need to get online. That said, if you're going to put a GSM module into a portable console, you can just as well add a "Phone" function.

The iPhone is treated as a console for the exact same reason - it may be used as a gaming console although it's a phone. The case was the same with the N-Gage back when it competed with the GBA and is the same with the Xperia Play that competes with... just the iPhone, I suppose.
The only market phones have captured is the casual gaming market. With the DS and Wii, there were people purchased those consoles to play casual games such as Brain Age and Nintendogs. The advent of gaming on a smartphone pretty much killed any chance of someone purchasing a dedicated gaming console to play casual games. There's no point in buying a dedicated gaming console when you can just play on your phone.

Portable game systems will live on, though. You won't find Uncharted, Mario or Zelda on an iPhone nor will you find any tactile buttons. There are still tons of people that would prefer to complete a Mario/GoW game than play Angry Birds. Phones will only satisfy the casual game market. Dedicated gaming consoles are still going to be purchased by people who want to play full-featured games.

http://www.engadget....three-hours-on/
http://news.cnet.com...a-battery-life/
http://www.1up.com/n...ry-cards-pricey

Aren't those based on the prototype console, not the finished product?
I would assume that most of the specs have been finalized by now.

And Veho already stated the capacity of the battery.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Portable game systems will live on, though. You won't find Uncharted, Mario or Zelda on an iPhone nor will you find any tactile buttons. There are still tons of people that would prefer to complete a Mario/GoW game than play Angry Birds. Phones will only satisfy the casual game market. Dedicated gaming consoles are still going to be purchased by people who want to play full-featured games.

I wholeheartedly disagree that a phone is capable of pulling off only "casual" games, and not every phone needs to be an iPhone.

[yt]Hk23afO9MhI[/yt]
[yt]B_X2MdS-Va8[/yt]
[yt]4-6ZM8g2XIg[/yt]
[yt]apyXId3l59I[/yt]
[yt]0p_Tmpl5HO0[/yt]

If that beast didn't COST as much as it does, It'd already be in my pocket.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo