PS Vita suffers yet another sales humiliation

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
In all probability you'll be waiting a while for the Vita price drop....whilst the 3DS is pretty lacking in spec, the Vita isn't and can sit on a relatively high cost because it's components can dictate that higher tag.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma at launch too....looking pretty nice....

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm definitely picking up the Vita when the price drops just like I picked the 3DS when the price droped.

Honestly, the Vita is really over priced considering how much stuff you need to buy for it. The memory card alone is pretty expensive. Besides, the launch line up leans more towards the west, so this isn't surprising.
PS Vita's launch price is nearly exactly the same as 3DS's launch price while packing more/more powerful hardware from the start, you do know that? The price drop (if any) will be much less significant - they can't afford to sell the console any cheaper.

I agree about the line-up though. Gonna be a hit.

I know it's the same launch price, but does power really matter? Do you play games based on their graphics?

If they can't sell it at a cheaper price, the least they could've done is solve the memory card issue, because honestly it wasn't necessary to begin with. Sony just packed it with the Vita to earn extra money.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm definitely picking up the Vita when the price drops just like I picked the 3DS when the price droped.

Honestly, the Vita is really over priced considering how much stuff you need to buy for it. The memory card alone is pretty expensive. Besides, the launch line up leans more towards the west, so this isn't surprising.
PS Vita's launch price is nearly exactly the same as 3DS's launch price while packing more/more powerful hardware from the start, you do know that? The price drop (if any) will be much less significant - they can't afford to sell the console any cheaper.

I know it's the same launch price, but does power really matter? Do you play games based on their graphics?

If they can't sell it at a cheaper price, the least they could've done is solve the memory card issue, because honestly it wasn't necessary to begin with. Sony just packed it with the Vita to earn extra money.
Oh my god, the graphics argument? Really?

Higher specs allow developers to create larger, prettier, more complex and generally "better" games, it's not always about the graphics, it's about the development time being greatly shortened since optimising for a stronger machine is quicker than for a slower one.

gameandmatch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Memory card issue isn't going away. They need to get the money, that they would lose for making the vita and selling it at the current price, from somewhere.

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Higher specs allow developers to create larger, prettier, more complex and generally "better" games, it's not always about the graphics, it's about the development time being greatly shortened since optimising for a stronger machine is quicker than for a slower one.

I'm not really trying to argue, I just want to make a point here. Sony could've avoided this by not selling over priced unnecessary crap which they're currently doing with the Memory Card.

The bold part proves my point.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm not really trying to argue, I just want to make a point here. Sony could've avoided this by not selling over priced unnecessary crap which they're currently doing with the Memory Card.

The bold part proves my point.

No it doesn't, did you even read what I wrote? The graphics style doesn't necessarily have to change, but more resources allow for larger game world. It's called "substance".

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Didn't people worry about the 3DS bombing? Now look at it. I think when the Vita comes to US and Europe and has a better game library for all regions it's sales will begin to sky-rocket, all we need is Final Fantasy and the Japanese will go crazy...

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HOLY CRAP! A HANDHELD ISN'T SELLING WELL IN JAPAN (WHERE EVERYONE IS BUYING 3DS'S FOR THE COOL LIBRARY) WHAT A SHAAAAME!
[/sarcasm]

inb4 fanboyism about 3DS selling well.

Anyways, it's to be expected because 1, due to the limited economy not everyone can afford to buy 2 systems, 2, the 3DS came out first and a lot of people bought one, 3, the Vita's release library isn't exactly the best (but still good titles are there and will come). I'm sure when the Vita gets to the US next month sales will pick up.

Don't give that "bad economy. = low game sales" bullshit. Most people don't even buy two game systems no matter what. And saying the 3DS sold better because it was first is also bullshit, have you seen how many people were talking about waiting for the 3DS revision?
Do you think people who really wanted the vita would have just said, fuck it ill buy a 3DS. I don't think so. And the vita launch was miles better then the 3DS (it had a fucking Uncharted game.)
It seems when someone says something bad about the 3DS its true but when its the Vita it suddenly becomes fanboy shit. The Vitas not selling well. Deal with it. The 3DS wasn't selling well and people delt with it.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The problem with the ps vita is the price :) It's mostly young teenagers and kids who buy handhelds afaik and for most of them £220 is out of their parents budget. If it got reduced to £150 I bet it would sell very very well. However the amount of tech that's built into the vita and how well made it is , It might be hard for them to compete with the 3ds on price.

damedus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the vita will probably be just like the psp to me a big hunk of uncesary graphic power with lack of games. Sure ill buy it to play the 2 or 3 games a year that I like (if at all) but in the handheld systems the 3ds is still probably gona see most of my time. Besides playing rpgs I only look at fun games that do not involve fps or shooting crap and those have always been on the nintendo systems. Dont get me wrong id love the vita to go back to its ps1 and ps2 roots and be a rpg machine, but games these days seem to focus on dam FPS (reason why my xbox and ps3 mostly colect dust) than any other genre. Its games that make the consoles to me not the other way around, and Id rather have a low graphic with good story rpg with complex management systems over a pretty looking fps anyday, but sadly new gamers get into gaming via the easy to play fps and their easy to play mechanics. Hideo said it better when he said new ideas can't compete in todays gaming market...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
the vita will probably be just like the psp to me a big hunk of uncesary graphic power with lack of games.
This alone shows that you've never touched a PSP. Metal Gear Solid games, Monster Hunter games, God of War games, Loco Roco, Lumines, Persona games - the list goes on.
Sure ill buy it to play the 2 or 3 games a year that I like (if at all) but in the handheld systems the 3ds is still probably gona see most of my time. Besides playing rpgs I only look at fun games that do not involve fps or shooting crap and those have always been on the nintendo systems.
Sorry, but if the PSP's lacking anything then it's FPS'es.
Dont get me wrong id love the vita to go back to its ps1 and ps2 roots and be a rpg machine, but games these days seem to focus on dam FPS (reason why my xbox and ps3 mostly colect dust) than any other genre.
Could you please name a few good FPS'es for the PSP for me? I really can't think of any good ones except Carnivores, and that's only because I loved the game on the PC. The DS has a galore of NSpace titles, at least.
Its games that make the consoles to me not the other way around, and Id rather have a low graphic with good story rpg with complex management systems over a pretty looking fps anyday,
And you get plenty of that on the PSP - Phantasy Star, the forementioned Persona games, Final Fantast games and lots, lots more.
but sadly new gamers get into gaming via the easy to play fps and their easy to play mechanics. Hideo said it better when he said new ideas can't compete in todays gaming market...
Explain "new idea". It's this indier then thou attitude that oozes from your post that gets me, you try to conceal clear fanboyism towards Nintendo merchandise but you do it poorly.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted_171835

The Vita is a nice piece of hardware but its game library is pretty lacking at this point. Once it gets some of the big-budget games, the sales should increase a bit.

In all probability you'll be waiting a while for the Vita price drop....whilst the 3DS is pretty lacking in spec, the Vita isn't and can sit on a relatively high cost because it's components can dictate that higher tag.
Actually the 3DS was selling at a loss when it was priced at $250. Nintendo must be losing even more money at $169.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't people worry about the 3DS bombing? Now look at it. I think when the Vita comes to US and Europe and has a better game library for all regions it's sales will begin to sky-rocket, all we need is Final Fantasy and the Japanese will go crazy...

was it not the last FF game release in japan did really bad in sales ?

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Erm... No actually, more powerful machines and beefier media has greatly INCREASED development time and costs of producing games.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Erm... No actually, more powerful machines and beefier media has greatly INCREASED development time and costs of producing games.
Development time can only decrease on stronger hardware. You're talking about making larger and more complex games with better graphics, sound, AI and whatnot - that extends development time and costs, and yes, it's obvious that devs want to spread their wings on stronger hardware, but that's not what I'm getting at.

The same piece of code can be compiled for a stronger console and a weaker console, but it's more likely that the weaker console will have issues if the code is complex - the stronger one will just swallow it because it can afford to waste resources. This is why there are slight differences between multiplat games - sometimes the code has to be altered and corners have to be cut, this is called "optimising".

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is usually a common trend with all Playstation products.

I'm sure the numbers will pick up when, like it has been stated before, more big name franchises appear on the system.

In 2001 certain naysayers felt that the poor sales of the PS2 was going to sink Sony....
That just means the PSV will be the PS2 second-coming. :yay:

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country

was it not the last FF game release in japan did really bad in sales ?

I guess it depends on which FF game gets released.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow, Foxi. You are really hard at work here. Relax man ;)

Can't we just sum it up by saying the 3DS and the PSV are both failures so all can be happy?

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol