GBAtemp Pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rock Raiyu said:
The PS3 Stinger has been announced. Much cheaper Jailbreaker and it is upgradeable via computer.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65085
i hope thats true.
still gona wait for Sony's move tho
ninja.gif

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xile6 said:
t_jay17 said:
If it is not update-able how will it work with future games?

Some are saying that the hardware just sends the ps3 into dev mode or debug. then a program is install which should be upgradeable.
Either way this is a nice start and now i gotta save up for a ps3 because i been tired of fixing this xbox 360 all the damn time plus i need my metal gear and ratched

Since I am not very technological with these kinds of things, what does that mean exactly..if a new game comes out it will not work? the games that are out now work just fine, even Mafia II works, but as far as future games go, if its not updatable it means it wont work? All that matters to me is if the games will work no matter if they are present games or games in the future..as far as updating the firmware when Sony comes out with it I dont care about that, I dont plan on upgrading or going online anyway

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lakerfanalways said:
xile6 said:
t_jay17 said:
If it is not update-able how will it work with future games?

Some are saying that the hardware just sends the ps3 into dev mode or debug. then a program is install which should be upgradeable.
Either way this is a nice start and now i gotta save up for a ps3 because i been tired of fixing this xbox 360 all the damn time plus i need my metal gear and ratched

Since I am not very technological with these kinds of things, what does that mean exactly..if a new game comes out it will not work? the games that are out now work just fine, even Mafia II works, but as far as future games go, if its not updatable it means it wont work? All that matters to me is if the games will work no matter if they are present games or games in the future..as far as updating the firmware when Sony comes out with it I dont care about that, I dont plan on upgrading or going online anyway

You need to break out the 'updateable' concept into 2 parts.

1) The actual exploit itself. Currently the jailbreak comes from putting the console into a 'developer' mode that allows the running of unsigned code. Having this part updateable is pretty pointless. Once an exploit is found, it should be easily analyzed by Sony and plugged in a future firmware update. The only way having it updateable would be remotely useful, was if you had more than one exploit in hand and knew how to change it such that you could use the other exploit in the future.

2) The game loader part. This is already updateable since it's just a pkg file you load after you put the console into 'developer' mode. Obviously this could be expanded later to support better file systems (why do people insist on using crappy FAT32 is just stupid), better game compatibility, a nicer GUI, etc.

For all the Wii people, think of 1) as the BannerBomb/IndianaPwns/Zelda hacks. Think of 2) as your HBC/USBLoader/CoverFlow component. Really what you're talking about when you mean 'updateable' is the 2nd part, which is where you can actually impact change in a meaningful way. You can't really update 1), except in rare instances where Nintendo did a stupid job of plugging the exploit. These days we've lost Zelda and Bannerbomb, and are moving to IndianaPwnz and SmashStack in order to get to part 2 working, which is the 'user' stuff so to speak.

Neuropod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should be fun to sit back and see how this develops. It might take a while for full-blown homebrew and update-proof functionality. But once you've got unsigned code running, the genie's out of the bottle right?

I feel sorry for the early adopters though - they'll probably get screwed over in terms of price and functionality.

t_jay17

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know where to get the program that is needed with the psjailbreak? I would like to have it for when I get one of them.

Hasney

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
antwill said:
Hasney said:
iNFiNiTY said:
It doesn't matter if its upgradable. The exploit is easily fixed.

Well it does. If the program inside was flash upgradeable, it could use new exploits completley unrelated to this one.
If they found new exploits that is?

Yes, but the fact that we can run our own code at any level of the system now, other exploits can be easier to find than they once were by poking around.

It's not a certainty obviously, but if there are any other vunerabilities, they will be more in the open now.

Cyclonius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony is on the attack....

We regret to inform you that today Sony Australia imposed an injunction against any company / person’s selling the PS Jailbreak devices, so it is with great regret that we have to inform you that we will not be buying or selling any PS Jailbreak devices.

Modsupplier team

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
Aman27deep said:
zant said:
I just sent the guy a message asking if I could test it.

Did they reply back?
Haha, I did that with the x3jailbreak but they declined, saying they had over 100 offers from other people. If I owned my own mod shop then they might have sent me one.

Sony were never going to let this roam free, but now we can access the system at any level that jailbreak doesn't matter; soon enough we'll be able to have a free method of getting homebrew on our PS3's.

MrDiesel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
MFDC12 said:
guys, no offense to MrDiesel, but lets wait for an official german translation. MrDiesel said his might not make sense (which i took as may not be 100% accurate), so it might be saying the ps3 would need hardware to block it.

MrDiesel said:
@djbubba2002:
Here is my attempt on translating the German article. My primary language, which is Dutch, is closely related to German. But still, German is very hard! As I don't quite understand what they are talking about, it can be that my translation doesn't make any sense.

I'm sure of the "not updateable" part.
QUOTE said:
Übrigens ist PSJailbreak NICHT updatebar. Das erwähnte Update-Feature lässt sich, wenn überhaupt, nur mit zusätzlicher Hardware realisieren.

This literally means
Btw, the PSJailbreak is NOT updateable. The above update feature can only be with extra hardware, or not at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    He just means that some conversations are light and funny, Madonna having sex with a dog? Hilarious! Your uncle beating your dog then making you watch him molest it? Kinda ehhhh drama lol
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why do people hate seasons 20 and 23 of south park?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't know. People hate and down vote everything nowdays. I see it especially on gamestores, like every game has a negative rating, even though they are good games.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    With south park, they speak the truth, whether people like it or not, then peeps get they're panties in a bunch.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    See ya later fr
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Later gator
    +2
  • G @ GamerGatorDoesTech:
    @BigOnYa i thought that was like a specific comment towards me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lol
  • ModernSithLord @ ModernSithLord:
    lol later gator that was good one @BigOnYa
    +1
  • Shgofc @ Shgofc:
    if i think i exist, then, i dont exi...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They started hating later seasons because it turned into half seasons and specials
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People in youtube comments are such dick riders "oh I can't believe he said that to you" clicks on other video "wow this is amazing."
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everyone is triggered nowadays too easy, bunch of pansies.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    1st video- That's why I hate ordering stuff online, if I can just go pick it up myself nearby. Wal-Mart online did that to me years ago, sent wrong item, I went to Wal-Mart by me to return, but noo, I had to mail it back and wait.
    99% of the time ordering online I have had flawless experiences, only time something was messed up, I ordered a big TV from Amazon and it came smashed the box was literally like some one jumped up and down on it, didn't even open it, contacted Amazon sent them pictures, they made me open it and take more pictures, free label to return it and they sent another. So it was relatively painless. But still annoying.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did it just because I don't like you
    Ken you Amazonian Maniac lol
    Cool band name lol
    Their hit song Deliver Us from good, was a banger
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Imagine what I'd do if I did like you
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/t1zTwu2R2Ys?si=BqY1TtbKs14wi7z4