Proof TX used code stolen from #reswitched

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by GraFfiX420, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada
    This forum in a nutshell :

Before TX : WE WANT PIRACY!!111!

After TX : OMG TX STOLE A PART OF AN OPEN SOURCED CODE, THEY ARE THE WORST!!!

Oh the irony.

Don't even own a switch yet, but it's the same shit all over again every time a flashcart is released.

DarthDub, nutinsider, Memoir and 5 others like this.
  2. SEX_i_SHRAPNEL
    This message by SEX_i_SHRAPNEL has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 28, 2018, Reason: No need for this.
    Jun 28, 2018
  3. lolboy

lolboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2009
    Netherlands
    TX has put the code to good use "IF" they have stolen it. They atleast gave us something fast. Something we all wanted, which is piracy.
    Many of us got tired of "this cfw is for homebrew only and we are anti piracy" crap.

4. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    I feel like its just a cycle. But either way, im still gonna use it. I bought it just for the dongle.

The14thfly and MehMeh27 like this.
  5. shadoom

shadoom GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Taiwan
    How can code be real,
    If mirrors are free?
    Or something like that

Subtle Demise and CallmeBerto like this.
  6. vstar

vstar Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2018
    United States
    Bunch of people who are waiting for free backup loader arguing legal/illegal...
    Some tryhards have over 25 post in this thread already.:lol:

brickmii82 likes this.
  7. Fred Molyneux

Fred Molyneux Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2014
    Canada
    Seriously this 'stolen code' is such bullcrap. It is not a clone or something, IF they did, it is just some small part related to homebrew. But we could as well be asking Atmo if they designed their own computer, wrote their own operating system, and designed their own compiler. No one does. These forums are just turning into a TX hate center (like this sour cracker). Any little thing turns into drama with 30 pages threads.
    When you repack some software and change it to make it look like yours, that's stealing. And in fact, this is EXACTLY what this guy complaining is trying to do...
    Anything else is just the way human technologies move forward. And same can be said in art, music, movies etc.
    We need some more peace & love members on GBAtemp!

Last edited by Fred Molyneux, Jun 28, 2018
    DarthDub, Subtle Demise and Biff627 like this.
  8. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    You appear to have a failing to understand what they did.

What happened is that they took code from Atmosphere (and the HBL) and used it in their own closed source product.

While I can't ascertain the license for the HBL from the top of my head, Atmosphere is licensed under the GPLv2, which as part of it's conditions dictates that any publicly released derivative/modification of the product must provide it's source code and permit users to build their own copy.

Team Xecuter however are selling SX OS as a closed source product and even included measures against reverse engineering it.

That is not just a breach of license, it's also highly disrespectful towards the developers of Atmosphere (reswitched), and trying to stick your neck out for them makes you look like the same kind off asshat as them.

I am ALL for having a homebrew scene which "promotes peace and love", I don't think anyone would be against that. But Team Xecuter is not the group that will give you that. All Team Xecuter cares about is your money and making a quick buck on the backs of other people's hard work.

If you're feeling buyers remorse at this point, I'm pretty sure the dongle can be used seperately to get into Hekate (and later Atmosphere) without the need of an external device. Unlike GW, the actual device at least has some use outside of their CFW.

SX OS however is a flagrant violation of copyright and asshattery and Team Xecuter deserves no sympathy for this behavior.

AboodXD, uyjulian, Draxzelex and 6 others like this.
  9. LightOffPro

LightOffPro ユキオクン

Jun 10, 2016
    Portugal
    In Papa Rei's closet.
    "they stole our code", well I dunno about you folks but I think if you don't want that happening making it open source is a bit of a mistake

10. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    It's a piracy device do you think they or anyone buying it cares if it is made ethically?

MehMeh27 and Biff627 like this.
  11. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    No, but I can at least do my best to get them to stop defending TX, or should I say... GW. Since these are the same team, and mind you that GW is probably the least liked group in the 3DS scene.

DayVeeBoi likes this.
  12. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Your intentions may be that but all you will achieve is to make people dig their heels in even more. This isn't the homebrew crowd, it's the frothing-at-the-mouth-to-get-free-games piracy crowd.

Biff627 and DayVeeBoi like this.
  13. connivence

connivence Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2018
    Korea, North
    Let's blame developers for making open source software. If they didn't release any source code, no one would be tempted to steal it, obviously.
    Therefore, let's ban open source development.

MrJason005, DarthDub, tivu100 and 2 others like this.
  14. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    I think it's a bit naive to come into a piracy hub and preach about gpl violations, but that's just me.

Biff627 likes this.
  15. Revard

Revard Member

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2018
    Germany
    Maybe Nintendo software should be GPL in the future to stop homebrew?

16. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Good idea, more people seem to care about that than copyrights.

17. tivanh

tivanh GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    I wanna steal games from nintendo, but i don't want to use stolen code from an team generally against piracy?

Have you all gone mad? No really.

Start enjoying life and stop trying to micro manage every aspect of your life. Shit, stop bying battery eggs and go to free range if your having moral dilemmas. At least there it makes a difference on somethings well being. This is not the topic or place for such dilemmas.

Children.....

18. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    They could have borrow the code, but steal mehh...

I'm keeping 50 - 50 between atmosphere vs SX OS wars.

I want is atmosphere because its emunand, but I also can't wait to get my hands on a TX full modchip when they release.

Though most likely after atmosphere getting released, TX will come up with emunand very fast:).

Biff627 likes this.
  19. JoeBloggs777

JoeBloggs777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    then how would I have been able to play Snes games back in the 90's if i had not bought a MGH or SuperWild card, or even 3ds games in 3d without a Gatway when they first came out ?

you have to look at the bigger picture, as someone has already posted pay now, play now. it's s simple as that.

20. Chumlee1900

Chumlee1900 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Canada
    People here keep saying that TX "stole" the code for profit. SX OS is free. It's the backup loader that's not.

Essasetic, DarthDub, cearp and 2 others like this.
  21. Sgt. Lulz

Sgt. Lulz Beef up

Oct 16, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Speak for yourself.
    SciresM and ReSwitched's stance on piracy has been clear from day one: They're against piracy, but they're not going to make an effort to delay the inevitable.
    Sure, use SX OS if you want, whatever, but that doesn't change the fact that they plagiarized code and breached an open source license purely for their own profit. "Oh, but that part of the CFW is free without a license" isn't an excuse, nor is it okay.
    You don't have to defend their brand tooth and nail to use their product, and conversely doing one good thing doesn't excuse doing bad things as well. It's ungrateful, hypocritical, conceited viewpoints like these that make open-source developers up and quit homebrew scenes altogether.

CallmeBerto likes this.