Hacking proof that the 3DS has a secret log file?

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I made a topic awile ago asking if the 3DS had a secret log file for seeing flashcarts as I was concerned if I ever need to send mine in I did not want Nintendo knowing about it...well I think I got my answer?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-...-flash-cart-use

I know the whole bricking thing is bullcrap but does this prove they have a secret log file? I don't want nintendo to find out I used a flash cart. I did however do a format and have not used my flashcart on my 3ds since.

chubiboi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it does happen there is going to be a huge uproar. If they were going to they would say they would not that it is possible. They say this to prevent more people from purchasing these flashcards. Imagine all the flame they would get if this happened. People might actually stop buying from them. The customers are the number 1 priority. They will not do something like this I am almost certain. Worst case scenario is that they block off your wifi forever.

Kiaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This article isn't proof to how the 3DS has a secret log file. There are many small keywords in there that just makes the "secret log file" seem more believable.

"The Nintendo 3DS may remember each time a flash cart-pirated game is played."
"And if it can do that..."

The only intriguing phrase in the article was this:
"Because of terms of agreement above, Enterking refuses to buy 3DS system with a record of illegal or unapproved equipment."
How do they see the record?

chubiboi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kiaku said:
This article isn't proof to how the 3DS has a secret log file. There are many small keywords in there that just makes the "secret log file" seem more believable.

"Because of terms of agreement above, Enterking refuses to buy 3DS system with a record of illegal or unapproved equipment."
Ya it would be impossible unless the seller ships it to Enterking first. And even then how would Enterking know illegal equipment was used.

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so IS sending my 3DS away safe? to be honest I think it might have a circle pad issue...

chauffler

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They kind of did the same thing with the homebrew channel if you went to the first day on your messages calendar it would say 99:99 homebrew channel but that might have been some kind of bug
EDIT: nevermind they also had some other file for that too on the wii but checking messages would be more user friendly for a nintendo repair worker
EDIT again: my wii had the homebrew channel installed then removed on it and nintendo didn't care when I turned it in for repair

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i also heard nintendo will charge you a fine if they find out you used a flashcart...it'd like 200$ i heard.....

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's what I heard in the GBAtempt IRC anyway.

It's not like a couple years ago when they simply removed your homebrew. there REALLY cracking down on it now which is why I am scared what is gonna happen.

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Every country has different laws for this so I doubt they will issue a firmware update that can shut down your system permanently.

It's pretty much allowed to have flashcarts to play your own backups or modify your system here, because it's your property.

If they would shutdown the system I'm pretty sure I could file a lawsuit
tongue.gif

So instead they'll focus on blocking the cards in question.

Edwii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
1. Just because you sent in a 3ds that has had a flash cart used on it doesnt mean its your flash cart or your 3ds, if they can't prove those they have nothing
2. Hacking for home brew purposes is completely legal universally as far as i know. Take the m3 cart for example. its labeled as a movie player/mp3 play card, cant stop people from watching movies and listening to music on their 3ds.
3. it's Nintendo's hardware that's failing on you due to natural causes. I would like to see in the fine print where using a 3rd party card voids your warranty when your buttons stop working. If my hard drive brakes, and it has terabytes of pirated data on it, it still covered.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Kiaku said:

Impossible. There is no way stores like Gamestop/ebgames or best buy knows how to access that secret log. Even if they verify later with Nintendo, you already sold it and got your money, so they can't take it back.

QUOTE(kbf @ Aug 6 2011, 01:03 AM) i also heard nintendo will charge you a fine if they find out you used a flashcart...it'd like 200$ i heard.....

Pretty sure you can tell them to go screw themselves and raise the middle finger if they try that.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
The information continues to be vague. I continue to suspect myself that it holds a log somewhere. Sadly, the article brings near nothing new. Instead, it's Nintendo reiterating their non-disclosure stance, yet again enticing users to beg the question and speculate. 2nd hand purchases are indeed a huge oversight from this as honest customers might not know it was used for piracy. If Nintendo is aware of this issue and advises that a format would erase that data, then what prevents a pirate from doing it too?

To further beat the dead horse, just to make sure it doesn't rise up again as a zombie, I will point out how nintendo said "possibility" when referring to the bricking, in referrence to something unintended, like for example a firmware hack which then becomes unbootable after an update, rather than an intended nuke released with the "certainty" of killing piracy-used consoles. It's only a general disclaimer that doing unintended things with the console could result in something bad happening.

lordrand11

The Wheel of Time Turns and Ages Come And Pass.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kiaku said:

Exactly my point how would they see it and know that something unapproved was in the system?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Didn't someone here from GBATemp accidentally keep their flash-card in their 3DS when they sent their unit in for repairs? I don't remember who or where that post is, but I thought I read that the flash-card was disposed of, but the unit was fixed and returned.

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so if I send in my 3ds it should be fine then? I mean, do you think they will call me up and say they can't work on it?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You know that currently nobody sent their flashcard'ed 3DS to Nintendo, so you are asking things that nobody can answer.
We are not fortune tellers, nobody know what's inside the console, nobody know what Nintendo will do with 3DS which used flashcards.

Why don't you just try and tell us ?
This is the second topic you create and wait for answers, or even force users to answer by bumping and asking it ever and ever until you will have what you want to hear, but nobody can give you the correct answer.

We already answered "we don't know", but it clearly doesn't satisfied you.
What do you want people to tell you? Should we invent the answer?

- No there's no log in the console if you format it (even if nobody know)
- You can send it to Nintendo, they don't care if you played a flashcard.

If you are afraid :
- Don't send it, buy a new one. solved !
yaynds.gif

uriyasama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea I remember seeing a topic about someone sending his 3DS to nintendo with a flashcard inserted.
If I remember correctly Nintendo disposed the flashcard but they fixed his 3DS's problem nonetheless.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: hb. But wash your hands before coming back :) js