Proof-of-concept shows 3DS emulator Citra running on the Nintendo Switch

citra on switch.png

Just a few days after Citra, the popular 3DS emulator, was officially released for Android devices, we report on new developments about the software. Yes, as the title suggests, someone has been working on getting Citra to work on the Nintendo Switch. Fellow GBAtemp member @m4xw shared his progress a couple of hours ago on Twitter showing Citra running natively with dynarec, under Horizon, on the Nintendo Switch. He does clarify that there are several issues to be fixed. For instance, he admits to the presence of many bugs and that it needs to be rebased onto the recent release. Moreover, there is a significant frame deviation that still needs looking into.

However, as you can see in the videos they uploaded, this proof-of-concept does show promise. Indeed, m4xwdev further mentioned that the videos are from the first compiled build and that "nothing big broke so far". These developments strongly suggests that it's only a matter of time before we can decently play 3DS titles on the Switch.
:arrow: SOURCE

Attachments

• citratest.png
    citratest.png
    643.6 KB · Views: 309
Last edited by Tom Bombadildo,

Deathfissure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wanted to know what the latest version is on this. Also wondering if anyone knows what the best setting are for games to run smooth? both zelda remakes run really well but superstar saga and pokemon ultra moon struggle a bit. thanks in advance

Reactions: HinaNaru Cutie

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
The last update was 3 days ago if you are patron u can download it from the discord
I'm not. But I would like to know how the project has improved.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I guess no news has been shared because there is no news really...

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
After tinkering around with Citra for HOs between January and March its fair to say that the Nintendo Switch is simply not powerful enough to cope with demanding 3DS titles. Some games are okay, playable, with stuttering on some specific areas depending on the game (Ocarina of time 3D).
Even on citra for PC are games that run really bad (Mario Kart 7), so the Switch will never run perfect this handheld emulator. If only Nintendo launch a 3DS NSO...

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
After tinkering around with Citra for HOs between January and March its fair to say that the Nintendo Switch is simply not powerful enough to cope with demanding 3DS titles. Some games are okay, playable, with stuttering on some specific areas depending on the game (Ocarina of time 3D).
Even on citra for PC are games that run really bad (Mario Kart 7), so the Switch will never run perfect this handheld emulator. If only Nintendo launch a 3DS NSO...
Since both consoles (3DS and Switch) are ARM-based, there could still something like Nintendont pop up in the future.
Nintendont is not an emulator but instead runs GameCube games natively on a (v)Wii since both share the same CPU architecture.

Reactions: zerofalcon

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it seems like the developer isn't really putting much time into improving it. There are fairly consistent updates, but none of them perform perceptively better than they did 6 months ago. I assume it's all behind the scenes stuff, but the dev doesn't provide any sort of changelog so I can't confirm.

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah, it seems like the developer isn't really putting much time into improving it. There are fairly consistent updates, but none of them perform perceptively better than they did 6 months ago. I assume it's all behind the scenes stuff, but the dev doesn't provide any sort of changelog so I can't confirm.

If you are reffering to the 3ds citra emulator then i just found out from a different person that the developer just outright favors people giving them money instead of showing any progress from what i am noticing towards the emulator that people are supporting to make happen :/...basically being screwed right there..
The worst part is that their 3ds emulator for the switch is the first one for me that i noticed that worked until crashes occurs sigh..if only he actually worked on it, as of now he just outright ditched it to working on nintendo 64 and tweeted something about other things.

The thing that makes me odd from knowing that he is the first one i stumbled upon in this type of project here is that he is asking for money; i just wanted to know why? I never knew why he needed the cash up until this point...if anyone can fill me in on why he needed to donations please do tell me. Cause i have no problem with supporting projects it's just the issue here...it seems very odd.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you are reffering to the 3ds citra emulator then i just found out from a different person that the developer just outright favors people giving them money instead of showing any progress from what i am noticing towards the emulator that people are supporting to make happen :/...basically being screwed right there..
The worst part is that their 3ds emulator for the switch is the first one for me that i noticed that worked until crashes occurs sigh..if only he actually worked on it, as of now he just outright ditched it to working on nintendo 64 and tweeted something about other things.

The thing that makes me odd from knowing that he is the first one i stumbled upon in this type of project here is that he is asking for money; i just wanted to know why? I never knew why he needed the cash up until this point...if anyone can fill me in on why he needed to donations please do tell me. Cause i have no problem with supporting projects it's just the issue here...it seems very odd.
Although this is not a direct answer to your concrete question, m4xw has done A LOT for RetroArch on the Switch. More than any other dev. So he's worth every penny that anyone ever donates to him for the rest of his life imho.
As for the Citra core: The Switch is simply just not good enough to ever emulate the 3DS accurately. Just give it up.

Nerdtendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I won't discredit m4xw as a talented developer, but I have noticed a trend of his starting projects and then sort of... Not finishing. Not that he is obligated to, but it does get kind of frustrating as a user.

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Since both consoles (3DS and Switch) are ARM-based, there could still something like Nintendont pop up in the future.
Nintendont is not an emulator but instead runs GameCube games natively on a (v)Wii since both share the same CPU architecture.
What Nintendont actually does is "take the official dol" that contains the Gamecube compatibility, modify it and run games without the need for an optical disc, via USB.

So, what Nintendo Switch needs to make 3DS work perfectly, is that it is not CITRA, much less an emulator, if not "backward compatibility" and that includes official Nintendo files, or in the case of an "Official" emulator. But the latter has proven to be impossible due to how fragmented the SM3DAS emulators were

And if someone wants to make 3DS work smoothly, they will need to make an emulator from scratch for the console, take advantage of the Vulkan API, and adapt to the GPU and its components. And I only know one person capable of doing that, who is already engaged in other things such as uploading videos to YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/c/ModernVintageGamer/videos

I think all that money would have been invested in someone who had more experience in the emulator. Like weihuoya and his mythical MMJ.

Last edited by Imancol,

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Although this is not a direct answer to your concrete question, m4xw has done A LOT for RetroArch on the Switch. More than any other dev. So he's worth every penny that anyone ever donates to him for the rest of his life imho.
As for the Citra core: The Switch is simply just not good enough to ever emulate the 3DS accurately. Just give it up.

i am glad that he's helped out =o lol oh my, yeah another person stated the exact same thing (he had alien green dude as a pfp) on a different post i commented on; it just seriously sucks that *this* is how new nintendo decided to do this "hybrid" junk..instead of actually fixing it up they just kind of slapped it on people faces, to then now make another one that is gonna be bigger, "better" then this one, another 'give me your money' type of shtick that i am sick n tired of tbh. like make the damn thing, don't rush to release it -_-" is that so hard to request for?
i get the feeling the new nintendo switch 2k gonna have a huge screen, take up the majority of your eye sight while playing it lmao..gosh i feel bad for people who have bad eyesight or already are suffering eye issues including ...glasses folks - fuuu- anywho i have the feeling there gonna make the new switch compatible to play 3ds games/n64 games and make people pay to just pla--haaa. im tired.

I won't discredit m4xw as a talented developer, but I have noticed a trend of his starting projects and then sort of... Not finishing. Not that he is obligated to, but it does get kind of frustrating as a user.

yeah i understand your emotion there, it just looks bad because people are donating money to a project they want to see bloom to only see him not finishing it or just swapping projects...sigh..that's what i noticed. i maybe wrong here.

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What Nintendont actually does is "take the official dol" that contains the Gamecube compatibility, modify it and run games without the need for an optical disc, via USB.

So, what Nintendo Switch needs to make 3DS work perfectly, is that it is not CITRA, much less an emulator, if not "backward compatibility" and that includes official Nintendo files, or in the case of an "Official" emulator. But the latter has proven to be impossible due to how fragmented the SM3DAS emulators were

And if someone wants to make 3DS work smoothly, they will need to make an emulator from scratch for the console, take advantage of the Vulkan API, and adapt to the GPU and its components. And I only know one person capable of doing that, who is already engaged in other things such as uploading videos to YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/c/ModernVintageGamer/videos

I think all that money would have been invested in someone who had more experience in the emulator. Like weihuoya and his mythical MMJ.

oh my who is that?? i am reffering to weihuoya and mythical mmj o.o

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia

Lol its $1

And n64 > 3ds

Nerdtendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol its $1

And n64 > 3ds
It's not really the dollar amount, it's the principle. It's paying for a product that isn't finished yet and we have no idea whether or not it will be supported moving forward. Sound like a certain execution team I know

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn