Project 64

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone. Ive been playing with Project 64 for a long while and this month Ive been using the emulator a lot to play "Zelda TooT" I was wondering if there were any N64 games left that still had issues with the emu. Last I checked, the only one I could think about was "Resident Evil 2". Any others any of you could think of?

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well I haven't done much with my project64 except play a few games XD but I've had trouble trying to play star wars rogue squadron it just won't start up at all I might have a look and set up project 64 properly one of these days

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Quite a few. Pokémon Snap, both Quakes, Perfect Dark, Goldeney, Donkey Kong 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo-Tooie...

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I tried it not too long ago, and almost all games had glitches and issues.

It's really sad to see that the N64 emulation scene was abandoned. There hasn't been an update to the major emus in years.

Julian Sidewind

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I havent used it in a year or two but everything seems to have issues with bomberman the second attack...and ive been dying to beat that game since it got stolen
frown.gif

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
MarkDarkness said:
Quite a few. Pokémon Snap, both Quakes, Perfect Dark, Goldeney, Donkey Kong 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo-Tooie...
In case of Conker's Bad Fur Day and Pokémon Snap (and possibly others) you could make them work perfectly (without the graphical glitches) but it would require a really fast PC to run them full speed.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
almost everything I've tried works perfectly fine on my laptop including Pokemon Snap and Conkers Bad Fur Day and I haven't really done anything to my Project64 just as it is out of the zip file version1.6

and my laptop isn't that powerful they run full speed no problems

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O really don't see how anyone could have problems with "Conker's Bad fur Day". That was one of the few games that always worked for me. I just placed PJ64 on my auntie's PC (she lives 2 doors down and sometimes I babysit my niece there so sometimes I wanna play n64 there) and I need to figure out how to speed up PJ64 on that unit. I might just need to put more memory in her unit but yeah that wasnt the reason for this thread. I was never able to play Resident Evil 2 on Project 64 and I was wondering if it worked now. I guess not. Also, I think some of you guys really need to update your PJ64 version. Some of the games you talk about, not working, do work.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
DarkWay said:
almost everything I've tried works perfectly fine on my laptop including Pokemon Snap
... have you played the game to completion? If you have, you are probably a grade A hacker for having come up with object-detection code that not even Zilmar himself has produced! Praise to you and your skills.

QUOTEO really don't see how anyone could have problems with "Conker's Bad fur Day". That was one of the few games that always worked for me.
Here is the most recent bug list for the game:

pause screen is incorrect, shows static
a part of the matrix mode in heist level is incorrect

motion blur unimplemented, not used often in this game.
sky not rendered properly
missing halo effects on lights
shadow on main character not totally accurate
static (coloured dots) around screen edge
cinematic in "It's War!" chapter is in colour, should be black & white
pixelation effect used in the part "Buga The Knut" is missing
new pixel pipeline in v1.6 sometimes shows level of detail on textures wrongly (textures repeat more than they should) - Use legacy pixel pipeline option is a workaround for this.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MarkDarkness said:
DarkWay said:
almost everything I've tried works perfectly fine on my laptop including Pokemon Snap
... have you played the game to completion? If you have, you are probably a grade A hacker for having come up with object-detection code that not even Zilmar himself has produced! Praise to you and your skills.

haven't played it completely yet but so far I haven't had any problems at all no idea how far through the game I am though probably not that far only a light player on project64, have my friends, work and "hobbies" to keep me busy enough but so far I've encountered no problems.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
DarkWay said:
MarkDarkness said:
DarkWay said:

haven't played it completely yet but so far I haven't had any problems at all no idea how far through the game I am though probably not that far only a light player on project64, have my friends, work and "hobbies" to keep me busy enough but so far I've encountered no problems.
Ergo, you have not yet reached the constellation snapshots, at which point you will not be able to proceed with the game. Do not report something as working before you have finished it.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MarkDarkness said:
DarkWay said:
MarkDarkness said:
DarkWay said:

Ergo, you have not yet reached the constellation snapshots, at which point you will not be able to proceed with the game. Do not report something as working before you have finished it.

...Lets be honest, not every gamer completes their games. Last I checked (on average) only 30 percent of a gamer's collection ever gets completed.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a decent computer, you can eliminate most, if not all graphical glitches and sound problems with most of the games listed above.

The best graphical plugin is Glide64 "Napalm WX". It's in constant development and has gotten extremely accurate, eliminating almost all graphical glitches in games (that don't have to do with the emulator core). Even problematic games like DK64, which can never render framebuffer effects perfectly in Jabo's plugin, can be made to be 95% perfect. The only issue is polygons sticking out of the characters at times, but that is the fault of Project64 itself and the emulator's core having timing issues. Before PJ64 1.6, that game was almost unplayable (in certain spots, you could have issues) thanks to fucked up timing.

I've even found a fix for Resident Evil 2's voice acting. The priorities for the graphics still aren't perfect, but you can get the voice acting to work properly with the right counter factor (2 is best for this game's timing) and the right sound plugin (I use Azimer's HLE audio v0.56 WIP2). Make sure all game specific options in the emulator are disabled except "RSP Audio Signal" and "fixed audio timing". As i said, priorities still messed up in the level backgrounds and character models, but i imagine it will be fixed soon as Glide64 is always being updated every few days (via public compiled repositories).

There are a few games that won't boot at all, such as Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. The core can't handle that game at all yet, but at least there's a PC port of that if you want it. I think the unworking games are listed in the GameFAQ. Most all problematic games can be fixed with Glide64 though if your PC is decent enough. I'm sure a lot of us now have around 2.5-3ghz PC's by now, with at least some decent GPU's. Should work fine if you can configure it correctly.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
LightyKD said:
MarkDarkness said:
DarkWay said:
MarkDarkness said:
DarkWay said:

...Lets be honest, not every gamer completes their games. Last I checked (on average) only 30 percent of a gamer's collection ever gets completed.
Do not confuse your personal statistic with that of others. What you are describing is pirate's syndrome, which is how a fair number of people who pirate games hardly manage not commit to a single game and just juggle between titles in a constant and continuous manner, since the game did not cost anything to them and thus they do not need to finish it like most players of originals would do.

Your argument fails on two accounts: A) Not everybody is a pirate B) not everybody has the attention span of a 9 year old.

I have finished about 80% of my collection, and am currently not acquiring anything new in order to get some DS games out of my backlog, such as Rune Factory... and there are a lot of people like me out there.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gore said:
30%? where does that come from?

An old issue of "Game Informer". I HATE that magazine with a passion but the article stating that was a very good one and a very deep one when it comes to the mindset of developers and how games should be developed in the future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021