Hacking Problems With Updating

ChiboSempai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been really out of touch with the Wii hacking scene for a bit and was wondering about some safe upgrade paths for myself and a friend. We're both trying to get up to version 4.2. I have a Wii with 4.1, though also some things like a custom Wii menu skin installed, various channels like USB Loader and HBC, etc. How can I upgrade to 4.2 without losing stuff?
The more confusing question though is my friends situation, who has a version 3.2 Wii with HBC and such, and wants to update to v4.2 (because of new games coming out that don't play on his old firmware)
I know the whole old update process for getting 4.0 safely when that was the latest firmware on Nintendo's servers, but I'm not sure now what the process would be with 4.2.

ChiboSempai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea, i saw that guide but wasnt sure how it would work if we already had HBC installed.
in the case of me with 4.1, i also have bootmii installed as a boot2. So updating to 4.2 will remove the bootmii and HBC, then I can re hack it to put it all back on? What about my other custom channels I have? Will they be removed? I have the USB Loader GX forwarded wad and a custom wad made for Smash Brawl on my home screen that redirects it to my usb loader.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ok just use dop-ios to get ios70 then patch it. after installing ios70 which system menu 4.2 uses, download and pack the wad of system menu 4.2 using NUS Downloader then install it using WAD Manager.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
as long as u follow either xzxero's offline method or zektors offline or online method, u will be fine (will not delete anything). These do not touch you're boot2. I recommend updating your homebrew channel before updating (as it is the 4.2 system menu itself that remove this channel if its found, there is a startpatch & preloader hack to prevent this though)

updating through nintendo will stub a lot of your cios's (222, 223, 249 etc.) and update your boot2 to boot2v4 (if its not at boot2v4 already). If you have bootmii installed as boot2, and you r not on boot2v4, a nintendo update will remove bootmii. However, if u have boot2v4 and bootmii installed as boot2, a nintendo update will skip re-installing your boot2 and you will still have bootmii as boot2

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
razorback78 said:
ok just use dop-ios to get ios70 then patch it. after installing ios70 which system menu 4.2 uses, download and pack the wad of system menu 4.2 using NUS Downloader then install it using WAD Manager.

there's more to updating to 4.2 than the system menu installation and IOS70 (over 20 IOSs were updated, available for download via nus downloader). A ton of other IOSs got updated too. The 2 u mentioned are the minimum required to officially change your firmware to 4.2 but it won't be a real update

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SpookyBaker @ SpookyBaker: @K3Nv2