Problems with sonic advance saves...

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by sona1111, Jan 12, 2012.

Jan 12, 2012
  1. sona1111
    OP

Newcomer sona1111 Newbie

United States
    Hi people. You may have heard this one before but i could not find a solution for it as of yet. Maybe we can change that. Basically when using either sonic advance 1 or 2 with the EZFLASH 3 in 1 (with a R4 in slot1) Saving does not work properly, if you try to save in the chao garden, for example, the game just freezes. I have tried:

-a few versions of the loader tool
    -PSRAM and NOR
    -SRAM patch and without

I have heard this game uses another form of memory besides SRAM but it it possible to patch it to use SRAM. If anyone knows anything about this i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks for reading.

2. sona1111
    OP

Newcomer sona1111 Newbie

United States
    bump. anyone out there?

3. rehevkor

Member rehevkor GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I can't really speak for this game itself, but I have an Ez 3in1. What slot-1 card are you using (I see you put , and what software?

EDIT: I see you mentioned R4, never mind. I presume you have tried loading normally or flashing to NOR? Some games just don't behave with the 3in1 and there's not much you can do about it, I've found the Acekard 2i's built in 3in1 functionality to be the most reliable if you have one.

4. sona1111
    OP

Newcomer sona1111 Newbie

United States
    i use the default firmware, but i can switch upon request.

basically i have heard their is 3 types of save types. SRAM, EEEPROM (something like that) or "FLASH". One or two posts i have googled mention a patcher program that will convert the ROM to use SRAM instead of the other two (the supposed problems with sonic advance are because it uses "FLASH") however i can not find a link or real title to this patcher program anywhere.

thanks for the reply.

5. rehevkor

Member rehevkor GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Does your firmware/flash card have built in GBA/3in1 compatibility, if not what software are you using?

I believe the most common software to use is GBA ExpLoader, which automatically patches these days so patching manually when using this is probably a bad idea. But who knows.

Either way, http://gbatemp.net/topic/130659-how-to-tell-which-version-of-the-3in1-you-have/ has some instructions to help identify your 3in1 and tell you the best software(s) to use with it

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3_in_1_Expansion_Pack_for_EZ-Flash_V also has some pretty good information.

http://gbatemp.net/topic/258454-ez-flash-3in1-save-problem/ also suggests Sonic Advance just won't work without a hacked version.

6. sona1111
    OP

Newcomer sona1111 Newbie

United States
    after a bit more looking. (and that other guy just left the conversation when i asked him) i found this: http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/boards/viewtopic.php?t=839&sid=1b512222d0ddfb502a97f117fd47a035

which of course the downloads don't work so in turn i find this: http://gbatemp.net/topic/4562-gba-tools-and-software/ which the downloads dont work either. (looking for FLASH512_V130/FLASH512_V131 Save Patcher - By Torne, The fourth one down) these links lead to gbatemp but apperantly the filed have all been deleted. cant find anywhere. Does anyone have these tools on their computer who can upload them please?

7. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
  8. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniacâ„¢

United States
    Awesome! I had this SAME damn issue when trying to use the Chao Garden. I'm glad to see a fix, I made a topic and nobody found the solution. Thanks guys!

9. sonicrings

Member sonicrings GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    My EZ FLas 3in1 V does not save anything... I have opened my ez flash 3in1 V 2 times, once to check the charge of the battery, and again to check if the connections are good. The battery has 3.3V charge and all connections are okay, so I don't understand why I cannot use ANY save functions at all on my ez flash. Rumble works, ROMs that don't need to be initialized at the beginning work (Sonic Advance 1, 2 and 3 work, but not Pinball Party, for example), and I only got this to be able to play Sonic Advance 3 on my DS Lite cuz I wanted to make a new game, but didn't want to delete my save file on my original Sonic Advance 3 GBA cartridge I got 8 years ago. I really, really, REALLY just want to play that ONE game, and I want it to save. Sending the ROM from my DSTWO to the ez flash starts a new game every time, and sending the ROM from my DSTTi to the ez flash loads up a 100% completed save file, something I haven't been able to do for the past 8 years (that last Special Stage is hard..) so I don't know why one gives me no save while the other gives me a 100% completed save. Please, I really need help with this... Any help at all would be VERY appreciated.