Gaming Problems with Prometheus?

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I got my PSP 1000 'phat' yesterday and have installed 5.50 Prometheus. I'm having a few minor problems with it.

- When I'm playing Rock Band and Burnout Legends from their official UMD's, the analogie stick seems to spazz out on me. On Rock Band it makes the menu pointer jump all over the damn place, and in Burnout it makes the car nigh uncontrollable and thus the game unplayable. I could maybe understand CFW not being 100% compatable with downloaded games, but giving me problems with UMDs? WTF?

- It claims my save data for Monster Hunter Freedom 2 is corrupt, despite me knowing otherwise.

- At first I thought the Rock Band problem was just the analogue stick not being centred properly or something, but it seems to work fine with Dissidia, the web browser, the emulators, etc. So I'm not actually sure what the hell's going on. I do recall being told that Prometheus has trouble with older games. Is this perhaps a symptom?

- Is there a list of older games confirmed to work with this new firmware?

- Does the firmware genuinely affect playing games from official UMD's? If so, why and how do we stop it?

- Do I simply stick to downloaded games and newer UMD's or should I replace the analogue assembly and see if that makes any difference?

Anyone know anything about this?

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
-PSP analog sticks ocasionally start malfunctioning like in your case, there's a homebrew that "fixes" it supossedly but I haven't tried it even though mine is kinda wonky
-Before updating make sure you always backup your saves, ocassionally they corrupt, like in this case.
-The wonky stick happens to me in every game, it just triggers at random, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't.
For the other questions, I don't know
frown.gif
I suggest you stick to downloaded games if you can, UMD drains soo much battery, and it also is very loud.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sticking to non-UMD games may present a small problem as I only have a 1GB mem card at present. Hence my ad in the trading forum asking if anyone has a better one.

The analogue stick never gives me any trouble when I play Dissidia. It's older games it seems to go screwy on. And as stated it seems fine when I'm playing Silent Bomber or Crash Bandicoot (found the eboots for them on the net), not to mention the 40-odd GBA games on my card.

I did back up my saves before installing Prometheus as I figured something like this could happen. Regretably I'm on my old man's laptop and he smokes helmet, and as such has deleted my backups. 100 hours of hunting, all for nothing. But whatever, was gonna replace it with Freedom Unite anyway. May as well start it all over again.

I would like to pick up Ace Combat X, but if it's gonna give me the same trouble then it'd be a waste of money. If someone could test it out with Prometheus, either downloaded or on UMD, to see if it gives any problems, I'd be most grateful.

In fact if this is a genuine problem we should keep a sticky of all the games that work and don't work.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
The Analogue Stick is something I notice on my PSP-1000.
It doesn't affect Dissidia because you're constantly using the analogue sitck and its disabled in the menus, hence it is not too noticeable. In games where the analogue stick is on the in menus you notice it a lot

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I can get a replacement analogue stick off eBay for a quid fifty, but it'd be coming from China and thus take nearly 3 weeks to get here. Pain in the arse, but I guess I can stick to downloaded stuff and emulators til it arrives. Then if it still gives me grief we conclude that Prometheus is at fault, we come up with a solution and we start that sticky.

With this in mind, do you reckon I should take my new copies of Burnout (damn near unplayable) and Rock Band (playable but annoying in menus) back to Gamestation, get a refund and buy a bigger memory card? Should at least keep me occupied until the new stick arrives. Can get a 4 gig card for about 13 quid, got a 16 quid refund so my brother can do it when he gets off work 2mrw, bring back the memory card and get himself Dino Crisis for PS1 with the remaining 3 quid.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
You could always flash back to GEN-D3 and use the Prometheus Module/KHBBS Patch.
I still haven't got Prometheus working on my PSP, maybe it doesn't like Game Categories.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it worth going back to Gen D3 for older games? Still not sure exactly what the problem is. could be the stick, the firmware, maybe even didgy versions of the games, they were pre-owned after all. Unlikely, but possible.

Will continue to test and see if I can find a solution. If not, I'll have my GBA emulator keep me busy until I'm back in town friday, get a refund on the games to get a bigger mem card, download a few things and see if that helps.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could try taking your faceplate off and cleaning the contacts on the analog stick and the motherboard.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Magmorph said:
You could try taking your faceplate off and cleaning the contacts on the analog stick and the motherboard.

That sounds rather like the time I tried to change the battery in my EZ Flash 3-1 and broke the connectors. Probably best if I don't try anything technical...

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Blaze163 said:
Is it worth going back to Gen D3 for older games? Still not sure exactly what the problem is. could be the stick, the firmware, maybe even didgy versions of the games, they were pre-owned after all. Unlikely, but possible.

Will continue to test and see if I can find a solution. If not, I'll have my GBA emulator keep me busy until I'm back in town friday, get a refund on the games to get a bigger mem card, download a few things and see if that helps.
If you never ran them under GEN-D3 you'll not know whether its hardware of software that's causing the problem. I suspect hardware myself but that's me. Doubt its didgy versions of the game.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cool. Well, the plan right now is as follows:

- finish downloading my new PS1 eboots. Vagrant Story (supposed to be a decent RPG) and Strider (with his godly uber sword).

- Play said PS1 eboots for a few hours as they do not require the analogue stick.

- Open up the PSP's face plate when there's better light and I'm in a better state of mind (Amelia's here so we've been drinking)

- Give the analogue stick's connections a damn good clean with q-tips and the cleaning solution I've started using on my SNES games to great effect.

- See if that helps.

- If not, take the games back on Friday to swap them for a new memory card.

- fill new 4GB card with PS1 games that don't need the analogue stick. Probably FF8 and 9.

- Play said games until replacement stick arrives.

- replace stick

- ?????

- Profit!

EDIT: BTW, been meaning to ask. How do I fix stuck pixels on my PSP screen? There's only two of them but they still piss me off. Of course if I get my £1300 tax rebate I'll just get my PSP totally restored. New screen, new analogue stick, have it all thoroughly cleaned, etc.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Stuck pixels might be fixable using the old flashing technique if you can find an app. I tried that on my old DS and it didn't work though. Best bet is to either ignore them or replace the screen

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Screw it then, will just replace the screen when I get my big fat influx of cash from the government. £1300 and I don't have any bills left to pay. Gonna be a damn good day...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.