Hardware Problems with Component Cable and USB HDD

bubbleboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I use Configurable USB Loader which doesn't support selection of USB Ports. However this problem is not caused by Config USB Loader.

Simply:

When I use component cables with my TV, it works fine, when I use standard AV cables, it works fine too.. BUT:

When using component cables, the second I plug in my HDD into USB0, the screen goes black, and the sound goes off. Unplugging the HDD will make everything go back to normal again. It doesn't make a difference whether or not the HDD is powered on or not. Plugging the same drive into USB1 causes no problems whatsoever

When using the standard AV cables, everything works perfectly. HDD plugged in or out, Config USB Loader works fine.

Can anyone explain why this might be happening?? The HDD is externally powered.

So in summary:

Component cables + HDD in USB0 = black screen
Component cables + HDD in USB1 = no problem (but not supported by Config Loader with FAT32)
Standard cables + HDD in USB1 or USB2 = no problem (but resolution and sound a lot worse than component cables)

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks!

rolandpibb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
cobleman said:
Apparently unless you have an original Component cable there will be interferance with HDD

Hmm, I don't know about that, I have 3rd party component cables and an External powered HDD and they work fine together.

bubbleboy,
You didn't mention if you have the HDD plugged in and on and attached to the Wii before you turn the Wii on. If interference is the issue (not sure if it would be) try having the TV, Wii and HDD plugged into different outlets. Make sure that your video cables are not nicked or stripped and not wound around any power cables.

Just a thought, but it sounds like there are video settings for the wii, stored on your HDD that are conflicting with the TV, and when you turn on the TV and the drive is plugged in where it`s supposed to be, the Wii is sending out a video signal that is not supported by your TV. Have you tried cycling through the resolution options that your TV has when you've got it hooked up with Component cables + HDD in USB0? Can you boot PriiLoader?-just wondering if the Config USB loader has video settings that are conflicting with the Wii/TV.

Interested to hear the outcome of this one.

****EDIT*****

Hmm, looks like someone else has the same problem and has solved it. Looks like the Enclosure for the HDD was causing the problems.

Bauldrick

Trophies
XP
Country
@bubbleboy - I don't think you answered my question in my thread about this.

Does your HDD enclosure in question use a male to male usb cable?

I'm thinking it is this that causes interface. I have just taken my old enclosure and tried to set it up with openps2loader on my PS2 (obviously!), as soon as I plug in the cable to PS2 I get "interferance" on screen..

I would be interested to know how many people use enclosures with male to male cables and if it affects all component cable useage?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...