Homebrew Problems converting WAV to BRSTM for custom themes

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm trying to convert a WAV file to BRSTM so it can be used in a custom 3DS home menu theme. I've tried two different pieces of software and neither is working:

Every File Explorer
  1. I choose File > New from File > Nintendo 3DS Plugin > CTR Stream (CSTM)
  2. The open dialogue box appears and I choose the WAV file
  3. The open dialogue closes but nothing else happens
  4. When I quit the software I get an error saying "waveout device was not closed at waveout.finalize()"
BRSTM Converter 3.4.1
  1. I run the app and leave the settings on default and just press OK
  2. I choose the WAV file from the dialogue
  3. Three windows pop up at this point:
    1. "BRSTM Converter" which shows "current file: 02-donkey-kong-island"
    2. "output\02-donkey-kong-island.brstm" which says "Creating temporary WAV file"
    3. An error dialogue saying "The system cannot find the file specified"
  4. When I press OK on the error, I get another error saying:
Files made:
Files NOT made:
02-donkey-kong-island.brstm
When I press OK on that last error, all the windows except the main settings window close and nothing else happens.

I have tried both of these apps under Windows XP 32-bit and 64-bit, both inside VirtualBox hosted on my Mac since I don't have a Windows box. Any help much appreciated!

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to convert a WAV file to BRSTM so it can be used in a custom 3DS home menu theme. I've tried two different pieces of software and neither is working:

Every File Explorer
  1. I choose File > New from File > Nintendo 3DS Plugin > CTR Stream (CSTM)
  2. The open dialogue box appears and I choose the WAV file
  3. The open dialogue closes but nothing else happens
  4. When I quit the software I get an error saying "waveout device was not closed at waveout.finalize()"
BRSTM Converter 3.4.1
  1. I run the app and leave the settings on default and just press OK
  2. I choose the WAV file from the dialogue
  3. Three windows pop up at this point:
    1. "BRSTM Converter" which shows "current file: 02-donkey-kong-island"
    2. "output\02-donkey-kong-island.brstm" which says "Creating temporary WAV file"
    3. An error dialogue saying "The system cannot find the file specified"
  4. When I press OK on the error, I get another error saying:
Files made:
Files NOT made:
02-donkey-kong-island.brstm
When I press OK on that last error, all the windows except the main settings window close and nothing else happens.

I have tried both of these apps under Windows XP 32-bit and 64-bit, both inside VirtualBox hosted on my Mac since I don't have a Windows box. Any help much appreciated!
http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-make-bgm-bcstm-files-for-3ds-themes.377927/

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks buddy. I've got to the part where I use BRSTM2BCSTM.exe to convert the file created by BRSTM Converter. As soon as I open BRSTM2BCSTM.exe, it crashes immediately saying "BRSTM2BCSTM.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close...." It's the standard XP window saying a piece of software has crashed, but I don't know why it's crashing :(

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok I managed to get BRSTM2BCSTM.exe to work by running it in Wine rather than actually in Windows. But now when I try to install the theme with this sound file I get an error in CHMM:

Error: [string "?"]:91: error writing file

:huh:

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorted B-)

I had to remove the old theme by going into the Home Menu change theme options, select any built-in theme and then change to default to delete the existing installed custom theme, and then reinstall my custom theme with the audio file I created using BRSTM2BCSTM.exe and it worked perfectly! I now have a lovely DKC theme ready to share with the world :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)