Hacking Problem with WUP installer GX2

Roquentin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Note - this seems to be a similar problem to the one described here but I've tried all of those solutions, and none work, so something different must be wrong. So I am aware of that thread, but its not helping.

What happens:
When I add files to my SD card, and try using WUP installer to install them to USB, it very rarely works (not never, but less than one in 20 attempts). I've managed to install about a half-dozen game backups, but have more I've been trying to add with no success. When I go to launch WUP installer, I get to a progress bar, which just stops at some point (not consistently either, sometimes its early, sometimes late - so I dont think its a problem, w/ the tik file), it gets to a certain point, then freezes, they my system just shuts down. Oddly - it shuts down (screen goes dark, console goes quiet), but the power light is still on. When I turn it back on, it gives me a prompt that the system shut down unexpectedly.

So, my Qs:
1. is it normal to have WUP installer fail so often?
2. any ideas on what to do to fix it? (I've already tried renaming file names - which had no effect)
3. should I try installing an earlier version of WUP installer, or is there an alternative app to use for this?

Background info:
I am on 5.5.1 and using Haxchi (but not CBHC). The version of WUP installer Im using is the one from here

Thanks!

Last edited by Roquentin,

bitzthatbyte

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
go to settings > data management, hold down on the D pad for half a second and hold the + & - buttons together. You should get an option pop up to enable and disable the hard drive sleep mode

Reactions: Roquentin

Roquentin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
just a thought, have you disabled sleep on your hard drive?

Unfortunately - still crashing mid file transfer. I was pretty sure that would work (dammit!!). Thanks for the suggestion and back to the drawing board, I guess.

Just in case anyone else with a similar problem wants to try that solution, here's how you disable sleep mode. [edit: posted this before seeing steveja82 's reply above. No new information in the article, his guidance on how to do this is spot-on.]

Last edited by Roquentin,
Reactions: bitzthatbyte

Roquentin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think I've figured it out - just tried using a USB thumb drive and that works, so it seems like there was some kind of issue w/ HDD compatibility (I was using one with an external power source, but it seemed the longer it took to install files, the higher chance that it would fail - so Im assuming there was some kind of power / timeout issue, even after disabling sleep).

Thanks @steveja82 for your help. I wouldn't have figured it out without your suggestion (and was completely unaware of the drive sleep mode until I read your msg).

Reactions: bitzthatbyte

bitzthatbyte

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think I've figured it out - just tried using a USB thumb drive and that works, so it seems like there was some kind of issue w/ HDD compatibility (I was using one with an external power source, but it seemed the longer it took to install files, the higher chance that it would fail - so Im assuming there was some kind of power / timeout issue, even after disabling sleep).

Thanks @steveja82 for your help. I wouldn't have figured it out without your suggestion (and was completely unaware of the drive sleep mode until I read your msg).

No worries, glad you figured out what was causing your issue.

Reactions: Roquentin

mvpheat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was having the same problem and I was also using a USB thumb drive. What fixed it for me was putting my USB thumb drive in the top USB slot on the back of the wii u, before i had it in the bottom slot, so try putting the usb in the top slot. cheers guys

Mrgame1988

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Im having a pig of a time installing from my sd card to my external hard drive. I'm new to the wii u scene but it does not feel right.

I have taken a short video but it is installing SO slow, it's like being back in 1998! Has anyone experienced this or is there something I am doing wrong.

Further to this, yesterday I had mario kart 8 installed onto the nand, ran perfectly fine, no lag, then I realised it was on the nand so I uninstalled and this is when i first encounted this slow speed when installing to the portable hard drive. I played mario kart 8 again from the portable hard drive and it took ages to load, sound was out of sink and slow to load between stages, completely different to yesterday.

Any help appreciated :)

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Im having a pig of a time installing from my sd card to my external hard drive. I'm new to the wii u scene but it does not feel right.

I have taken a short video but it is installing SO slow, it's like being back in 1998! Has anyone experienced this or is there something I am doing wrong.

Further to this, yesterday I had mario kart 8 installed onto the nand, ran perfectly fine, no lag, then I realised it was on the nand so I uninstalled and this is when i first encounted this slow speed when installing to the portable hard drive. I played mario kart 8 again from the portable hard drive and it took ages to load, sound was out of sink and slow to load between stages, completely different to yesterday.

Any help appreciated :)

Hello,

Did you test a Y cable for your external hard drive (for better connectivity) ??

SD card format in FAT 32 ??

Reactions: Alexander1970

Mrgame1988

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi Jeannotte

Yes the sd card and portable hdd were setup ad mbr drives and then formatted as fat32 with an external program.

No I have not tried a Y cable, i dont have one. I thought that the usb hub would counter the low power issue. I'll order a y cable, should be here next week. Have this sort of thing happened before? I think its pritty bad that nintendo only did low power usb's ports, i can't see the point as they were always invisaging people to put on an external drive, i suppose a few years ago it was the norm for powered usb hard drives.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Itsuki235

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the portable hard drive a mechanical drive or solid state?

Flash media tends to decay in quality after a while. For the Wii U specifically, flash media can be problematic as well since it will read/write to the same sectors constantly for save data. The best performance I have seen from external drives is from using a mechanical drive. Reading/writing to flash media will always be slower in my experience.

Alternatively, instead of using an existing drive you happened to have, get a brand drive. One of those should solve the lag issue.

As long as the drive shows up in the Wii U menu, power is not an issue. The Y cable should not improve/degrade performance, but the USB hub might.

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi Jeannotte

Yes the sd card and portable hdd were setup ad mbr drives and then formatted as fat32 with an external program.

No I have not tried a Y cable, i dont have one. I thought that the usb hub would counter the low power issue. I'll order a y cable, should be here next week. Have this sort of thing happened before? I think its pritty bad that nintendo only did low power usb's ports, i can't see the point as they were always invisaging people to put on an external drive, i suppose a few years ago it was the norm for powered usb hard drives.

I'll let you know how I get on!
Hello,

I would wait for your return. to have news

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Hey, VSauce. Where are your fingers?