Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When I'm making a splash.ani file, some themes are out of order... off center, like so:
Code:
The |ÂÂÂÂÂÂ | represent the edge of the DS screen.
ÂÂÂÂ|[ x x ]| - Frame 1
ÂÂÂÂ|[ x x ]| - Frame 2
[ x |x ]ÂÂÂÂ| - Frame 3
ÂÂ [| x x ] | - Frame 4
ÂÂÂÂ|[ x x ]| - Frame 5

Anyone know why this happens or a way to fix it?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Only suggestion I can make is - Are you sure all the frames are EXACTLY the same resolution & No of colours
i.e you havn't got any that are 16-bit while other are 15-bit perhaps ???
(I've never seen that effect before)

Oh one other thing - Which 'makesplash' (& Moonshell) version are you using ?? - I believe there was a problem with MS 2.1beta9 with displaying splash.ani files

env

Trophies
XP
Country
798-Icebird said:
Sorry never used the makesplash.
I just use the standard thing and maybe env his winhell when it comes out.
unsure.gif
Why bother to post something that is nothing to do with the problem? XD [/peace]

@topic:
No, makesplash.ani can read .bmp images even if it's not exactly the same resolution as the other images.
But make sure that all images(Splash001 - Spash078) are in place and NOT exceeding to 256x192.
Think that Splash000.bmp is your background and should always be in 256x192.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
twiztidsinz: Ignore my bit about making sure the frame sizes are exactly the same resolution

I've just found out that moonshells own animation doesn't have all the frames the same size either

The FIRST frame (Splash000) is 256 x 192 but the other frames Splash001 > splashxxx (the animated Moonshell 2.xx' text bit) are all in fact 256 x 32 (All graphics are apparently 24-bit though)

Is there any chance you can put the files up somewhere so that we can download & see the effect for ourselves - perhaps we'll be able to figure something out

EDIT: Dammit env - you beat me to it

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I always thought that moonshell2 splash ani compiler anchors everything to the upper left corner (which would explain why all of the frames would be fine with different sizes and still look like it does for the default ani), but I never had the chance to try it. I usually just put them all the same size because I'm lazy xD.

env

Trophies
XP
Country
@Foddlr:
laugh.gif

@JP: Me too XD
'coz for some reason, the booting message "Moonshell 2.10 Stable is booting.. bla bla..") blocks your splash if some of the images are small
Thanks janouis for the video
yay.gif
(my skin beta tester! kidding)
The only downside is if you compile all images which are 256x192 you'll get a higher mb splash
rolleyes.gif

edit: oh and someone care to explain whats inside the splash.ini (yeah the conversion setting)
Code:
[ConvertSetting]
SourceFileMask=splash???.bmp
SourceFPS=30
WaitForTerminate=0
AlreadyAllDraw=1
UseDither24to15bit=1

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hm...has anyone actually checked to see if the frames are anchored at the upper left? Maybe someone could try it out by making a cool-ish loading bar on the top and just make the loading bar progress with the frames (obviously it has to be cool because if it works, its another splash.ani that can be used xD)

Also Env, your video is set to private xD

-edit-
nvm, I can see your video now, looks cool xD

As for the conversion settings, I'm just randomly guessing so someone should still test out the stuff but anyways,
I think SourceFileMask is obviously the name of the splash (never tried out using a different file format though...maybe someone wants to give it a shot?) xD
SourceFPS is supposedly the frames per second you want it to come out as (the person that made a couple skins thought that at least, along with probably everyone else)?
WaitForTerminate...well I have absolutely no idea but I'm guessing its to have Moonshell2 play the entire splash.ani before going to Moonshell2...the only way I could think of testing it my guessing is correct is to have a massively long splash.ani....and then toggle the WaitForTerminate...
AlreadyAllDraw...also no idea, but maybe that is what allows for the Moonshell2 default to work like it should (keeps older images onscreen?)
I'm pretty sure everyone here gets the UseDither24to15bit so no point in saying anything about that.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
env said:
edit: oh and someone care to explain whats inside the splash.ini (yeah the conversion setting)
Code:
[ConvertSetting]
SourceFileMask=splash???.bmp
SourceFPS=30
WaitForTerminate=0
AlreadyAllDraw=1
UseDither24to15bit=1
I'll take a stab at the following

SourceFileMask: I guess this it to tell 'MakeSplash' what graphic files to look for
SourceFPS: The number of FPS (natch!!) so if you had only had 30 'frames' then you'll only get 1 sec of animation - if you had 60 frames - 2 secs etc
WaitForTerminate: Could this be the it will play the animation all the way through before carrying on & starting MS ? - it COULD be that moonshell may only take 1 sec to load & you could 'lose' the full animation but you want to make sure people see the WHOLE animation before it continues set it to '1'
AlreadyAllDraw: No idea - but it could be something like in GIF animations, where you either play the full frames OR only the differences between frames
UseDither24to15bit: Guess this tell it to convert 24bit graphics to 15bit graphics when creating the animation

Only real way to find out it to try each option

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To answer the questions...

All the frames are the same size, 256x192.
All the frames are the dame bit depth, 8bit.
All the frames should have the same or similar palettes.

I'm working on getting the Link to the Past 'Tumbling Triforce' as a splash.
It almost seems like Moonshell is ignoring all the black and starting the animation from the upper left corner, and eventually corrects itself after about a second.
I've tried putting a white border around the edge of the image, and even stranger.... the white border displays properly, but the 'elements' still are off.

@Env: Did you make that Windows 7 splash animation?
If so, could you make one that does two or three 'pulses'?
biggrin.gif

To answer the questions about the splash.ini file, CannonFoddr is right.

env

Trophies
XP
Country
Yup I've made that
wink.gif
but its exclusive for my not so soon to be released Winshell skin
laugh.gif
sorry~

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
Oh one other thing - Which 'makesplash' (& Moonshell) version are you using ?? - I believe there was a problem with MS 2.1beta9 with displaying splash.ani filesI'm using Moonshell 2.09 and I'm not sure which version of MakeSplash I have, but it's dated 2008-12-27.

CannonFoddr said:
Is there any chance you can put the files up somewhere so that we can download & see the effect for ourselves - perhaps we'll be able to figure something outSure...

One example of the problem is your own 'Blank Sakura' splash: http://filetrip.net/f9478-Moonshell-2-Blan...sh-ani-1-0.html
Another, more noticeable one, is my incomplete Triforce 'demo': http://www.mediafire.com/?0mdigwzjytm

CannonFoddr said:
QUOTE(twiztidsinz @ Mar 30 2010, 08:48 PM)
To answer the questions about the splash.ini file, CannonFoddr is right.
Bloody hell
wtf.gif
- I only guessed at those, r u saying I was even right about the 'AlreadyAllDraw' one
jawdrop.gif
Actually I'm not sure if you're right on the 3rd, but the 4th is kind of off... but I wasn't going to go into it since it doesn't really matter much
tongue.gif

It's not converting 24 to 15 because of the 1, since it's always converted.
The 1 (on) just makes the conversion process use dithering for a better looking image.
You can read up on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither, but if you just want to see what it looks like then look at the cat in the examples here.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Unbelivable - you're right about my splash.ani - which I can't understand 'cos I'm sure it was fine when I did it originally

It DOES seem as though frames are being played at the wrong place/moment

EDIT: Been doing a little experiment, swapping files around, graphics from one version to another, DPI Colour depth etc - & no matter what I do
- My graphics don't work right BUT the MS 'default' graphics do, regardless of which version of MS I use....weird

Anyway - bit late in the night for me to carry on (It's now 11:20PM in the UK), but I'm thinking that the makesplash must be VERY fussy on the graphics to be used

One thing I've looked at is the BMP header file
It seems that in the 'default' graphics - only the first graphic (splash000.bmp) is the only one that has a DPI figure in it, while all the other graphics don't
YET All my graphics do have a DPI (actually it seems that there's a LOT of info missing in the default 'splash001'=>'splashxxx' files - such as Pixels Per Meter y/x-axis, DPcm + others)

Could THIS be a reason ?? - maybe makesplash is mis-reading the headers, and that's causing a problem
- could it be makeskin only reads so much of the header (say only the first 50bytes) - but because our files have extra info, making the start of the actual picture data begin @ say 80bytes - makeskin is looking in the wrong place

Something to think about & look into tomorrow
unsure.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
Unbelivable - you're right about my splash.ani - which I can't understand 'cos I'm sure it was fine when I did it originally

It DOES seem as though frames are being played at the wrong moment
The frustrating part?

I just made a "similar" splash.ani that plays PERFECTLY fine.
(( Similar in that it's made up of full size images that play sequentially without 'anchor' points ))

Download: [url=http://www.mediafire.com/?nzzmntzmnht]http://www.mediafire.com/?nzzmntzmnht
[/url]

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
CannonFoddr said:
'anchor points' - what do you mean
Something constant through out all the images that could be used to align all the images up.
OIC - I thought you figured out that somewhere on the graphics (Splash000) a particular colour had to be used as a 'anchor' or refernece point for all the following graphics

EDIT : This IS getting weird.. I've done the same thing
I created 25 full sized pictures - each with a seperate number on it ('00' is my original Sakura blank screen) - to see when/which frames were out of place & altered 'splash.ini' to 1 FPS so that things don't happen too quick. Used 'makeskin' from 2.1 stable & Guess what - the ani worked fine

- then tried it again with my original Sakura blank graphics - Still no good, there's still that jump @ ~frame 14-15

And the only difference between these ??

I took the default 'splash001-025' (From 2.1Stable), painted them black & added an appropiate white number, then rescaled it to 256x192

So I'm guessing there IS something 'different' between my graphics & those supplied with MS - but I couldn't see anything 'wrong' in the BMP header

Xenon++

Taiju Yamada
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Too late to reply, but
http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=12343
and my own makesplash ( http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=253274 ) can create correct splash.ani.
#Also you can check the decode result by using breaksplash.

#As my makesplash uses maximum zlib compression, it creates a little bit smaller splash.ani than official(filetrip, above) version...

BTW does any one know blank version of original MoonShell2 splash?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show