Homebrew Problem: Games missing from WiiU USB Helper?

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
So, I wanted to download Just Dance 2019. I can see it on the title key site. But it does not appear on USB helper?

Does anyone see it on their end?

If not, does anyone spot other games that are missing from the program?

Reactions: FanNintendo

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So, I wanted to download Just Dance 2019. I can see it on the title key site. But it does not appear on USB helper?

That's an issue with USB Helper, it relies on a database of games for metadata that must be manually updated. You can use another tool, maybe uTikDownloadHelper would work?

Reactions: Madridi

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

if u got one let me know!

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
That's an issue with USB Helper, it relies on a database of games for metadata that must be manually updated. You can use another tool, maybe uTikDownloadHelper would work?
Yeah, I did eventually get it from utik, but the problem was still stands with USB Helper.
I thought the database is fetched directly from the title key site?

If there is a manual part to it, do you have an idea how one would attempt to manually do so? I might take a stab at it.
In this directory: C:\Users\(user profile)\AppData\Roaming\USB_HELPER I see jsonbackup file. Is that it? or is it another file?

if u got one let me know!
use uTikDownloadHelper to get the game if getting the game is the only thing you care about

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah, I did eventually get it from utik, but the problem was still stands with USB Helper.
I thought the database is fetched directly from the title key site?

If there is a manual part to it, do you have an idea how one would attempt to manually do so? I might take a stab at it.
In this directory: C:\Users\(user profile)\AppData\Roaming\USB_HELPER I see jsonbackup file. Is that it? or is it another file?

use uTikDownloadHelper to get the game if getting the game is the only thing you care about
It does get data from the title key site, but it also fetches metadata for game info, boxart and such. This could have been fetched directly from Nintendo and cached, it would be slower but at least it would always be up to date. It's the way I would have designed it, no point in relying on a central server when it's not necessary.
Now that Wii U USB Helper is officially abandoned, it's using a 3rd party server for the metadata, which means the guy who made the launcher is the one that has to update it. I would hope he has a script that does it daily or so, but he may have it set to once a week or every other week. Anyway, eventually when it's updated the game will show up.

The JSON file most likely contains the title keys, you can open it in a text editor to check.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
It does get data from the title key site, but it also fetches metadata for game info, boxart and such. This could have been fetched directly from Nintendo and cached, it would be slower but at least it would always be up to date. It's the way I would have designed it, no point in relying on a central server when it's not necessary.
Now that Wii U USB Helper is officially abandoned, it's using a 3rd party server for the metadata, which means the guy who made the launcher is the one that has to update it. I would hope he has a script that does it daily or so, but he may have it set to once a week or every other week. Anyway, eventually when it's updated the game will show up.

The JSON file most likely contains the title keys, you can open it in a text editor to check.
Thanks for the info. I did open up an issue on the launcher's github. Let's see if the dev can do something about it.

For the JSON file, here is how an entry looks like (Replacing the title key with Xs as per temp rules):
{"titleID":"000500001010f300","titleKey":"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx","name":"Family Party\n30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade","region":"USA","ticket":"1"}

Last edited by Madridi,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks for the info. I did open up an issue on the launcher's github. Let's see if the dev can do something about it.

For the JSON file, here is how an entry looks like (Replacing the title key with Xs as per temp rules):
{"titleID":"000500001010f300","titleKey":"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx","name":"Family Party\n30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade","region":"USA","ticket":"1"}
That's just the JSON taken straight from http://wiiu.title.../json
The images are at least stored in the folder you mentioned (the hex number files are actually PNGs of the icons), however I believe Wii U USB Helper also shows boxart right? So those along with the rest of the metadata must be stored elsewhere. And yes, if you are decent at scripting, it may be possible to make a script to update the local database using Nintendo's servers, that is assuming the program doesn't delete any entries that aren't found when it performs the update check.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over