Homebrew Probably worst place to ask this question but whatever

Competitively

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey, I plan on making a YouTube channel based on Pokémon characters battling each other. While some people may of already done this. What's gonna be unique about mine is I'm going to custom code it so the AI makes decisions for both the player and the Npc to make it more balanced.
I really have no idea where to start but I felt like I needed to know programming before I start. So here are some questions I need answered

What are the Pokémon games (sun and moon) coded in?
Where's a good place to start learning the language?
What's a good decrypting/encrypting program for .3ds files?
What's a good place to start at to create this project?
Thanks, Ian

Last edited by Competitively,

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the Pokémon games (sun and moon) coded in?
C/C++ [Ninty Dev Kit]
Where's a good place to start learning the language?
School, or a library, also some websites provided very good tutorials, as example, i use DotNetPerls when i was learning C#
What's a good decrypting/encrypting program for .3ds files?
your 3DS is the only way to decrypt a 3DS file.
What's a good place to start at to create this project?
Your house? i dont know.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS games are usually written in C++. I'd recommend learning C++ programming for regular desktop PC applications first before jumping into embedded. C++ for Dummies is a good start - it's $22.91.

Also note that C++ code is compiled, so the original source code won't be present in the ROM. Reverse-engineering the program code requires disassembling ARM11 code. There are some decompilers that can generate C-like code, but it won't be anywhere near the original source, and it won't have any comments.

Reactions: BL4Z3D247

Competitively

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
C/C++ [Ninty Dev Kit]

School, or a library, also some websites provided very good tutorials, as example, i use DotNetPerls when i was learning C#

your 3DS is the only way to decrypt a 3DS file.

Your house? i dont know.
Thanks
3DS games are usually written in C++. I'd recommend learning C++ programming for regular desktop PC applications first before jumping into embedded. C++ for Dummies is a good start - it's $22.91.

Also note that C++ code is compiled, so the original source code won't be present in the ROM. Reverse-engineering the program code requires disassembling ARM11 code. There are some decompilers that can generate C-like code, but it won't be anywhere near the original source, and it won't have any comments.
I'll look into it. Thanks.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nice click bait.
This isn't clickbait.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really, as homebrew doesn't use copyrighted/trademarked content. Creating a game using Pokemon is completely different than creating tic-tac-toe for the 3DS.
Ah. I have heard people say things like "dont attach your legal info to it so they can't track you", but I read through the two reddit posts. Found a funny thing about how sega really appreciates their fanbase and things like fangames. (I wonder if its because their fans can make better games than them)

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Ah. I have heard people say things like "dont attach your legal info to it so they can't track you", but I read through the two reddit posts. Found a funny thing about how sega really appreciates their fanbase and things like fangames. (I wonder if its because their fans can make better games than them)
I think it's because Sega wants to look better compared to Nintendo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Bruh