Hardware Pro Controller not scanning amiibo

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Solved: Turns out the NFC is very fussy about where it scans. At least that was the case with my cards. It was just a matter of finding the "WiiSpot" as others have stated. Also flipping some of my cards upside down helped. Joy-Cons are much less fussy.

IMG_20210817_115449b.jpg

Hi, I just picked up a Brand New Pro Controller, but for some reason it isn't scanning any amiibo. The Joy-Cons still work just fine. Did Nintendo change something, or do you think I got a defective unit? I don't think it's a fake or anything, because it wakes the Switch from Sleep and seems to have HD Rumble. Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited by simbin,

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I just picked up a Brand New Pro Controller, but for some reason it isn't scanning any amiibo. The Joy-Cons still work just fine. Did Nintendo change something, or do you think I got a defective unit? I don't think it's a fake or anything, because it wakes the Switch from Sleep and seems to have HD Rumble. Anyone else have this issue?

Where did u buy it from and how much u pay?

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where did u buy it from and how much u pay?
On sale for $60 at Amazon

Make sure you're scanning in the right location, bottom left section of controller iirc.
I was trying near the top center Switch logo. Got one of my cards to scan a couple times. I'll try the bottom left.

Do u have NFC disabled in the settings?
I have it enabled, and the Joy-Cons are working perfectly.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On sale for $60 at Amazon

I was trying near the top center Switch logo. Got one of my cards to scan a couple times. I'll try the bottom left.

I have it enabled, and the Joy-Cons are working perfectly.
I could be misremembering. I collect amiibos. I bought only one loose from the box. That's the wedding, Bowser amiibo to find the rest of the purple coins in odyssey. I found them all because of it. :D

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could be misremembering. I collect amiibos. I bought only one loose from the box. That's the wedding, Bowser amiibo to find the rest of the purple coins in odyssey. I found them all because of it. :D

Yeah, I keep all my amiibo collection sealed too. I just use the cards.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I thought my pro controller might be fake as well after some of the paint rubbed off, but it had no problems with that amiibo.

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I thought my pro controller might be fake as well after some of the paint rubbed off, but it had no problems with that amiibo.

I'm pretty sure no clone controllers can scan amiibo though.

I double checked the Nintendo website to confirm the location of the NFC location..
  • On the Joy-Con, the NFC touchpoint is located on the right control stick.
  • On the Pro Controller, the NFC touchpoint is located over the Nintendo Switch logo at the top-center of the controller.
Think I may just end up exchanging it with Amazon. Seems like a weak NFC reader.

Last edited by simbin,
Reactions: 6adget

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's hard to say. The stands for amiibos can be quite large.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

BTW, I bought mine on ebay. The one in question is a smash bros pro controller.

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then I say it's fake the fakes look so damn good that u can't even tell it is all mine r real all from Walmart local store

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought another Pro controller.. from Walmart this time, and it's having the same problem. My Joy-Cons scan amiibo just fine, but not these Pro controllers. I'm wondering if Nintendo has weakened the NFC reader or there is a large batch of defects circulating. Both were on sale for $59.

Solved: Turns out the NFC is very fussy about where it scans. At least that was the case with my cards. It was just a matter of finding the "WiiSpot" as others have stated. Also flipping some of my cards upside down helped. Joy-Cons are much less fussy.

IMG_20210817_115449b.jpg

Last edited by simbin,

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought another Pro controller.. from Walmart this time, and it's having the same problem. My Joy-Cons scan amiibo just fine, but not these Pro controllers. I'm wondering if Nintendo has weakened the NFC reader or there is a large batch of defects circulating. Both were on sale for $59.

View attachment 273333
So u was using counterfeit amiibos all this time smh

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So u was using counterfeit amiibos all this time smh
Yeah, I just use cards and keep my figures sealed. Never had a problem until now though. Wii U and all my Joy-Cons scan perfectly. I tried scanning Super Mario Cereal and Shovel Knight, since those scan through the box. Guess the Pro controller NFC is just to weak for that.

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I just use cards and keep my figures sealed. Never had a problem until now though. Wii U and all my Joy-Cons scan perfectly. I tried scanning Super Mario Cereal and Shovel Knight, since those scan through the box. Guess the Pro controller NFC is just to weak for that.
I've never had a problem with Any authentic amiibo's on Switch Pro Controllers own 3

Reactions: mikefor20

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1