Homebrew [Pre-release] Agbsave9 - Tool to extract agb_firm saves.

Ryuzaki_MrL

Green Thunder
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
dont work mate :(

greetings

You need to boot the GBA game first, then quit it, then reboot the console while holding whatever button you assigned to the agbsave9 payload. All of this without turning off the 3DS.
Does the menu shows up? Or it stays at a black screen?

hellionz

Trophies
XP
Country
You need to boot the GBA game first, then quit it, then reboot the console while holding whatever button you assigned to the agbsave9 payload. All of this without turning off the 3DS.
Does the menu shows up? Or it stays at a black screen?

now works perfectly with the latest commit of aureinand!!!

thx mate

Ryuzaki_MrL

Green Thunder
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is using the same icon as Decrypt9, so here is an icon for the 3dsx version:

Attachments

• agbsave9.png
    agbsave9.png
    765 bytes · Views: 302

hellionz

Trophies
XP
Country
hi mate, i observed that the build you give me not always work , sometimes black screens , sometimes work ok... i will make some experiments to see what can be the problem

greetings

HighMans

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This doesn't seem to work for Final Fantasy I&II Dawn of Souls. I can dump the save, but when injecting it and copying the save over to the reinstalled game doesn't work.

Kakashi2001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Am I the only one where it doesn't work anymore? I think, it's because of the new Version of Luma3DS. It worked on 5.2, but now on 5.4 I have only a blackscreen.

Tyrell D. Barnes

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
tyrelldb.imgur.com
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one where it doesn't work anymore? I think, it's because of the new Version of Luma3DS. It worked on 5.2, but now on 5.4 I have only a blackscreen.

A simple downgrade of Luma3DS to AuReiNAND will remedy the issue until the OP (or any of the other contributors to the project) resolves the case. Fortunately, it's as easy as replacing the arm9loaderhax.bin file at the root of the SD card with the .bin of an older version (I used the v5.0 as that was the last version I worked with). If you are downgrading below Luma, you'll need to rename your /luma folder to /aurei, change payload names back to default.bin, x.bin, etc., etc.

This reminds me of a firmware upgrade rendering most exploits useless, only it was much more difficult to downgrade to make use of CFW. I guess that doesn't apply here since we're using kernel hax (^^;

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Tyrell D. Barnes,

Tyrell D. Barnes

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
tyrelldb.imgur.com
XP
Country
United States
Original gen_rom.py from the latest release didn't work for me either.
I had to rewrite it a little bit to make it work on Windows. I actually uploaded it here couple of pages ago.
With that script I was able to successfully inject my old save into Zelda: ALTTP, which has EEPROM save type.
You can try that script if you want, but I'm not sure if it would work for you. Here it is: https://gbatemp.net/attachments/gen_rom-zip.38211/

I spent almost three hours wondering why the script that came with v1.0.1 didn't work on Windows.

It was out of pure rage that I almost stopped trying.
It was with pure patience that I flipped the pages of this book to once again find my answer.
You may want to look into this, alex34567.

EDIT: It seems that even with the modified script posted by redunka, the current set within the /agb_inject won't allow me to create a .cia after inputting the four pieces of information required. I fell back to the folder within the Feb package.

redunka

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I spent almost three hours wondering why the script that came with v1.0.1 didn't work on Windows.

It was out of pure rage that I almost stopped trying.
It was with pure patience that I flipped the pages of this book to once again find my answer.
You may want to look into this, alex34567.

EDIT: It seems that even with the modified script posted by redunka, the current set within the /agb_inject won't allow me to create a .cia after inputting the four pieces of information required. I fell back to the folder within the Feb package.
That's because v1.0.1 is missing agb_inject_mb.gba file for some reason.

jaspern

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I've been using the v1.0.1 of Agbsave9 to extract the save of a FireRed VC (that I didn't create myself) but the dumped file is only 64K and unreadable in VBA-M, even after trying to 'convert' it to 128K as described here. Was this VC created with wrong settings? Am I out of luck? Not sure what to do.

Leslie White

Trophies
XP
Country
France
can't get to create the cia although following the tutorial to the letter :(

I'm using Luma3ds (a9lh sysnand). I managed to dump my "Pokemon Ruby" save, launching agbsave9 at boot through a payload.

Did the save editing etc, the save is 128kb, but no way to generate the cia despite I entered all the informations needed...

Below is a the errors I got

JLRKLV3.jpg

Last edited by Leslie White,

Tyrell D. Barnes

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
tyrelldb.imgur.com
XP
Country
United States
So I've been using the v1.0.1 of Agbsave9 to extract the save of a FireRed VC (that I didn't create myself) but the dumped file is only 64K and unreadable in VBA-M, even after trying to 'convert' it to 128K as described here. Was this VC created with wrong settings? Am I out of luck? Not sure what to do.
How odd. I've been working with Pokémon FireRed, and I suppose the differences between VBA and VBA-M do show, 'lest my lack of knowledge of VBA-M precedes me. In either case, one of two situations are present in your case:

[1] The file is unreadable by the program because of the file's extension (.sav), or
[2] The file size is what's preventing the program from reading the file.

For the former, a simple rename of the file extension from .sav to .sa1 can be done, especially with the latest release of VBA (I am unsure if this also applies to VBA-M, though I'm sure it will. Someone may correct me on that). For the latter, you'll want to try to convert it using a regular VBA emulator, and here is how to do so:

[1] Download the latest version of Visual Boy Advance for Windows, and be sure to also download the vba-over.ini file as you will need it.
[2] Extract the files to a folder called "Visual Boy Advance" or however you wish to name it.
[3] Take the 64Kbit .sav that appears on the root of your SD Card after dumping it via Agbsave9, and place it in the VBA folder.
[4] Change the extension (.sav) to .sa1 so that it can be read as a battery file by the system.
[5] Load the game and log onto the game's save.
[6] Under "Emulator", navigate to "Save type" and click on "Flash 128k".
[7] Save in-game.

Once you successfully follow these steps, check your .sa1. If the file size is 128Kbit, you have successfully converted your file. Remember, always back up your save. This is essential, in case something ever goes wrong.

can't get to create the cia although following the tutorial to the letter :(

I'm using Luma3ds (a9lh sysnand). I managed to dump my "Pokemon Ruby" save, launching agbsave9 at boot through a payload.

Did the save editing etc, the save is 128kb, but no way to generate the cia despite I entered all the informations needed...

Below is a the errors I got

JLRKLV3.jpg
That's because v1.0.1 is missing agb_inject_mb.gba file for some reason.
As redunka has pointed out in my case, a potential reason for the program not creating the .cia, even with all of the necessary inputs present, is due to the absence of the .gba file mentioned in the above quote. I would fall back on the Feb version of agb_inject, or try to merge the .gba from said folder to the current version.

Reactions: jaspern

jaspern

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How odd. I've been working with Pokémon FireRed, and I suppose the differences between VBA and VBA-M do show, 'lest my lack of knowledge of VBA-M precedes me. In either case, one of two situations are present in your case:

[1] The file is unreadable by the program because of the file's extension (.sav), or
[2] The file size is what's preventing the program from reading the file.

For the former, a simple rename of the file extension from .sav to .sa1 can be done, especially with the latest release of VBA (I am unsure if this also applies to VBA-M, though I'm sure it will. Someone may correct me on that). For the latter, you'll want to try to convert it using a regular VBA emulator, and here is how to do so:

[1] Download the latest version of Visual Boy Advance for Windows, and be sure to also download the vba-over.ini file as you will need it.
[2] Extract the files to a folder called "Visual Boy Advance" or however you wish to name it.
[3] Take the 64Kbit .sav that appears on the root of your SD Card after dumping it via Agbsave9, and place it in the VBA folder.
[4] Change the extension (.sav) to .sa1 so that it can be read as a battery file by the system.
[5] Load the game and log onto the game's save.
[6] Under "Emulator", navigate to "Save type" and click on "Flash 128k".
[7] Save in-game.

Once you successfully follow these steps, check your .sa1. If the file size is 128Kbit, you have successfully converted your file. Remember, always back up your save. This is essential, in case something ever goes wrong.

First, thanks a lot for writing this down. Sounds easy enough but for some reason I couldn't get VBA to detect the save file.
Here is what I tried:

1. Backed up save (Agbsave9 wouldnt launch after soft(?) rebooting from the game, I always have to turn the 3ds off and then boot Abgsave9. a9lh/latest luma)
2. Downloaded VBA (1.8.0-beta 3), not sure if there was some kind of 'official' vba-over.ini download so I just grabbed the one from the "Emulation paradise"
3. Dropped unmodified ROM into VBA dir together with my save, renamed save to ROM name and extension to .sa1
4. Loaded up game (open VBA, drag&drop ROM) but it wouldn't detect the save file and always start with the tutorial/new game. When loading the save as .sav it will just give you the white screen.

This looks like some stupid user error, do I need to change any settings in VBA? It's been a while...

I'm actually using the 'Pokemon - Feuerrote Edition (G)' version but it probably shouldn't make any difference.
Uploading the save and vba-over.ini in case anyone wants to have a look at it.

Last edited by jaspern,

Leslie White

Trophies
XP
Country
France
As redunka has pointed out in my case, a potential reason for the program not creating the .cia, even with all of the necessary inputs present, is due to the absence of the .gba file mentioned in the above quote. I would fall back on the Feb version of agb_inject, or try to merge the .gba from said folder to the current version.

Thanks, it works fine now ;)

Reactions: Ailuros27

jaspern

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I started from scratch creating my own VC of Feuerrot, but the issues remain - after turning off the 3ds I can boot into alex' Agbsave9 v1.0.1 (appearently you are supposed to run it right after shutting down the game, without turning off the 3DS? No idea how that's supposed to work because it goes straight back to the home menu for me), dumped the 64K save, but VBA just won't read the file. When I rename it to romname.sa1, VBA it will just ignore it and start with the tutorial again.

I tried the same with the Ambassador Metroid Fusion and a custom A Link to the Past & Four Swords and those didn't work either. The sizes of the .savs also differed from the ones VBA created (both were 32K and the VBA ones were 8K and 16K).

Edit: After many, many tries I managed to load the save file with the old 1.7.2 version of VBA, and inject it again with another older version of Agbsave9 from Feb 6. Phew.

Note to myself, don't forget to save multiple times in VBA to get both save slots overwritten.

A whole day wasted but at least it's working now, plus I obtained some basic skills in creating GBA VCs... :)

Last edited by jaspern,

EddieEddie90

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I can't generate the .cia file no matter what. Tried with Python 3.0 and 3.5, none of those versions worked. I have all the necessary files in my agb_inject folder, please help :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: 4th wife