PPSSPP Switch Beta Release

1.jpg

PPSSPP/Libretro Switch Public Beta by m4xw
==========================================

After a lot of work, I am very happy to share this with all of you.
Audio & Video support works, many core options cause Issues tho.

It is mandatory to "Close Content" after changing any Core option and restarting RetroArch, else it will potentially crash, don't close the RetroArch menu!

Special thanks to hrydgard for everything he has done for the PPSSPP Project.
If you want to support his work, consider buying PPSSPP Gold https://central.ppsspp.org/buygold even if you don't use it!

I will PR it once the libretro port is finished, also implemented half of what's needed for a Standalone port ;)
Source is on my Github, but it's highly WIP and needs a custom RA and a custom ffmpeg, so you should just wait if you want to build it yourself ;)

Libretro Docs (important informations for this core):
https://docs.libretro.com/library/ppsspp/
Official Game Compatibility Tracker (your mileage might vary): https://report.ppsspp.org/games

GitHub (WIP Switch): https://github.com/m4xw/ppsspp/
GitHub (Official): https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp

Installation Instructions

Drag & Drop the "retroarch" folder to the root of your SD, overwriting any file (it will not touch any options).
Assets are bundled, so you don't have to bother with that.

Notes

If you are using ANY method of loading RetroArch OTHER than Atmosphere's title redirection feature, DO NOT report issues that you encounter.
These issues can skew testing and could very well be caused by loading through an unsupported method.

Video slowdowns are related to missing hardware accelerated decoding (nvdec), it's not a libretro/PPSSPP Issue.
FMV cut-scenes will be fine.

Updates

Added JIT and JIT Vertex Decoder Support
- When loading Savestates with JIT, make sure to instantly open the RetroArch Menu again and wait for it to complete loading
- This is a libretro specific bug (not switch port related) and will be fixed later on

-Added Vertex JIT Core option (turning it off fixes some games currently)
-Added Disable slow Framebuffer effects Core option (Speedhack)
-Increased Savestate Chunk size to 4MB (speeds up savestate load, ~2sec)
-Band-Aid for Savestate load + Save (no more opening menu for them to work)
-Renamed "IR JIT" to "IR Interpreter"
-Removed Threaded IO Core option (non-functional)
-Removed Non-Buffered Rendering Core option (non-functional)
-General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.

Download Link: <Please use the RetroArch Core updater>

Last edited by m4xw,

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I told you I tried 3 times to upload and gbatemp errored so I DID try to share it. I only said it's a public release and you can get it just like anyone else who refues to be a patreon and it's not working for me to upload it so what else can I really do? You dont accept that answer even though it's the truth. Oh well, I did try and you're being a whiny baby. You want me to try 100 times? No I tried it didn't work and you can get the public release yourself. You think I'm lying but you're wrong so I got nothing more to say to you because I'm telling the truth. You're very selfish someone tries to help you and you don't believe them it's just all about you and getting your game to work you don't care about anything else.

i did say i won't bother you again,but if you truly wanted to share the core you would pm me the link if you can't post it in this thread.but it's ok & i very much appreciate you uploading the youtube video
also i didn't refuse to be a patreon,i genuinely don't have a way to be one,not all of us refuse,some of us simply can't

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I have no desire to help you further at all. You should have believed me when I said I tried to upload it for you like you asked but instead you kept whining.

Last edited by ,

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
No I have no desire to help you further at all. You should have believed me when I said I tried to upload it for you like you asked but instead you kept whining.

like i said if someone here asked me to share the core file i would & they will get it in a matter of couple of minutes. let's just leave it as is. thanks

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wasn't a patreon build it's a public release. Which means he can get it himself. He says he's tried all builds and the game didn't work though so I don't know why he just thinks my PUBLIC BUILD will be any different. He probably screwed up some other setting. Anyway he can help himself as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: wicksand420

TimeDevouncer

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Tactics ogre runs well when I'm playing, but all the cinematics runs very bad, any configuration for this?

But the great falcom game, Brandish, runs very very well and looks amazing with x3 resolution, amazing.

And Outrun 2 in my switch...a fucking dream!:grog:

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Excellent work, as always. It’s appreciated just how much time and effort you put into getting great things on the Switch.

I’ve said it before (probably many times) but I’ll say it again. Go throw money at @m4xw Patreon. He bloody well deserves it!

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Hi
Been trying this yesterday and I must say it's fantastic work!
Beside overclocking and disabling speedhacks, you should occasionally restart retroarch for better performance.
For instance some games might work fine but if you switch to another one, you might have a black screen (restarting retroarch usually does it for me).
It's also a good idea to create per game config and mapping for the tricky ones.
Overclocking is sometimes a must (boost performance should do) if you want smooth gameplay (outrun 2 f.e)
Playing Crash on the default clock was a blast!

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know I'm annoying you guys with this, but am I really the only one who gets a notable 'smoother' gameplay experience with vertical sync swap interval set to 2 (its in video options) in most games (i.e. crisis core, daxter)?

because it really seems to make such a difference visually (both on tv and handheld), but it also means switching it back and forth for certain games that don't run at all at 2, which, if everyone had to deal with it, feels like something that would be mentioned every other page.

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Does it sound like someone clanging glass bottles together?
Ye, it appears randomly (or may be related with sound effects triggers)..Its very annoying and loud. Tried changing audio latency, didn't help.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I know I'm annoying you guys with this, but am I really the only one who gets a notable 'smoother' gameplay experience with vertical sync swap interval set to 2 (its in video options) in most games (i.e. crisis core, daxter)?

because it really seems to make such a difference visually (both on tv and handheld), but it also means switching it back and forth for certain games that don't run at all at 2, which, if everyone had to deal with it, feels like something that would be mentioned every other page.
it does make a difference in smootheness but it becomes unplayable with fucking 3-4 sec input lag imho, so not worth

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ye, it appears randomly (or may be related with sound effects triggers)..Its very annoying and loud. Tried changing audio latency, didn't help.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

it does make a difference in smootheness but it becomes unplayable with fucking 3-4 sec input lag imho, so not worth

so weird, I'm not getting any input lag, even if you were exagerating and meant .3 seconds.
the only problem i run into is some games like patapon and megaman powered up run in slowmo at 2, and daxters cutscenes run at slowmo too

Last edited by Clydefrosch,

Hiipswerf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know what's up with the crazy stuttering on the GTA games? When it loads buildings and stuff it stutters fir like a second and it happens regularly also

spx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
@m4xw I would love to see a read framebuffer to memory (CPU/GPU) rendering mode option for games like Danganronpa that are completely unplayable without it. Would that be hard to implement?

Bluer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Tekken 5: DR works nearly flawlessly on current public version (default settings, 960x720, 58-60 fps), but in-game cutscenes drop to 30 fps. Is there any way to fix this?
Coded Arms also works very good with 60fps cheat (stock clocks). It looks like an HD remake with upped resolution, but textures are disappering/flickering in certain spots
(screenshot in attachment). Is it possible to fix?

Attachments

• 2019041718290300-4F3259B6CD72B7FDDB427501D13DCED2.jpg
    2019041718290300-4F3259B6CD72B7FDDB427501D13DCED2.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 126

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Learned nothing didn't you...

What you are asking for is not so much information than a service. Test for yourself, then tell us.

Don't ask others to do it for you.

This doesnt scale. There are 1700 titles on the PSP. There are an open number of people who might want to ask for their favorite question. And with every new release of a build.

If your response is "you shouldnt have said anything, if you didn't want to help" no - stop posting those questions. They are littering these threads. Every honcho with a support wish thinks the world will run around in circles, to give them an accurate answer for every game that springs to their mind.

We will not.

If you've tested a game, it takes little effort to report on how it ran. Once.
If you've done nothing and want accurate information on how a game runs, it takes a large effort to give you what you want.

And no - asking those questions "just in case the information is out there, but no one has bothered to tell someone else yet" is not something you should do - thats effectively not socially acceptable. Thats more a false premise for a support request, than anything else.

Two things, then I stop complaining:

1. Get in the mindset of providing others with stuff, rather than always taking from a community.
2. Try to get a feeling for when you are just asking for information, and when you'd like others to do work on your behalf. The second is service solicitation. Try to reduce those if you can.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: crazy_p

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok I tried it and 1) it doesnt boot wood menu automatically and 2) when trying to load a game through wood theres just a loading screen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's low on wood
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    lemme ask in forums
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download...