The PSP emulator with the most extravagant acronym to date, PPSSPP, has received a new update, thus reaching version 1.9.0! Most of the included changes are bugfixes and small improvements for some games, such as God of War, Tekken 6, Metal Gear Acid / Peace Walker, Warriors Orochi and Tomb Raider. The Vulkan renderer has been slightly improved and is now back as the default renderer for Android versions higher than 9 (Pie), bringing a performance boost on said devices. The right analogue stick can now be added as a touch control, which is used by some modded games to perform additional actions (such as moving the camera in GTA titles, for example). Finally, many issues have been resolved in the UWP build of the emulator, ranging from fixing crashes in a few homebrew apps to addressing overscan on the Xbox One.
There are also many other general fixes (a lot being audio and video related) and smaller features. You can read more about them in the official changelog:
- Flicker fixed in God of War that appeared with newer drivers for Mali GPUs (#12224)
- Improve performance of God of War on Vulkan (#12242), implement built-in GPU profiler (#12262, #12266)
- Vertex range culling fixed on ARM Mali (#12227)
- Started to improve VFPU precision, resulting so far in a fix for the long standing Tekken 6 leg shaking problem (#12217)
- Fixed a VFPU precision snafu on ARM64, fixing disappearing officers in Warriors Orochi (#11299) and some problems in Tomb Raider (#11179).
- Vulkan is the default again on Android versions newer than Pie
- Fix various homebrew store issues
- GPU pause signal handling fixed, fixing some hangs in Bleach and Armored Core games (#12160)
- Audio sample rate conversion handling fixes (#12147)
- Some Vulkan optimizations (pre-rotation (#12216), perf fix in Metal Gear Acid, etc)
- Multiple fixes for the UWP build (#12036, others)
- MP3 playback fixes (#12005)
- Audio in Motorstorm: Arctic Edge fixed by returning errors correctly (#12121)
- Audio glitches in Final Fantasy Tactics fixed (#9956)
- Camera display in Invizimals fixed (#12278, #8521)
- Added hotkeys for texture dump and replace (#11938)
- Added Visual Studio 2019 support. Windows XP is no longer supported (#11995, others)
- Fixes for video capture (#12069)
- Added a separate sound volume for alternative speed (#12124)
- Improved mouse control (Windows only) (#12173, #12176)
- Support for installing texture packs and ISOs from zips (#12175)
- Right analog support for touch controls (only used by patched games and some HD remasters) (#12182)
- Android: Fix OpenSL initialization, possibly helps audio crackle a little. (#12333).
- Fix graphics on Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
- Fixed strange vehicle behavior in MGSW (somehow) (#12342)
- Ported to the Nintendo Switch by m4xw! Builds available on m4xw's Patreon. [NOTE: You can also download it from PPSSPP's website now]
If you own a modded Switch, you'll be glad to hear @m4xw has already updated his port to 1.9.0! The standalone version can be downloaded from PPSSPP's official website (linked below) while the new libretro core will be released soon. Binaries for other platforms are available there too (as well as on the Play Store) but beware if you're using legacy Microsoft operating systems, as the emulator will no longer be compatible with Windows XP starting from this build.