[PPOTW] Which company has the best online infrastructure?

Which company has the best online infrastructure?

• Total voters

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Steam has been #1 since it released years ago. I remember it used to be somewhat buggy but all they do is keep improving it and there is no stopping the train now. Full steam ahead,get it?
Nintendo Network is just shit though.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have NEVER found a difference between PSN an Xbox Live

So you and your friends all play the exact same games at the exact same time then?
My friends and I are all into different types of games so we appreciate being able to chat without having to dial each other up on the phone.

Aside from that:
- uptime
- latency
- customer support

Gaming vs content

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have NEVER found a difference between PSN an Xbox Live

You must have been somewhat late to this gig then. I agree today there is not an awful lot in it but in the PS2 era it was worlds apart (primarily as the xbox was actually a service where the PS2 was a disparate collection of varying infrastructures), the early 360 era once PSN got started in earnest was still streets ahead and give or take PSN+ (something the others should have done years before) many would still argue XBL has the slight edge though the "playing games, messages and matchmaking" stuff, which is the backbone of the whole enterprise, for now at least, is all there. Where it goes from here is the subject of massive speculation however; MS is doing some interesting stuff whether the gaming types that made it what it is today agree with that statement of not, Sony is walking an odd path and there are even interesting things happening in the PC world.

Nintendo Network is just starting and Nintendo with all the money they have should invest a lil more on it.

The gamecube had a few fumblings here when the others were building up, the Wii had proper online play, the DS had online play -- Nintendo's online efforts are not new. Beyond that when looking at the world at large, something it usually wise to consider from time to time, online games on consoles goes back many years; even sticking with mainline stuff the genesis/megadrive had stuff in Japan, big franchises like Phantasy Star no less, and online play on PCs has massive history, online emulation of old console games (see Kaillera) happened for years and

A best Nintendo have been caught with the pants down and have been awkwardly fumbling ever since while the others make a pale imitation of greatness. At worst Nintendo were wilfully negligent.
Also proper world class online infrastructure at the levels Nintendo wants takes a tad more than "a lil more".

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
You must have been somewhat late to this gig then. I agree today there is not an awful lot in it but in the PS2 era it was worlds apart (primarily as the xbox was actually a service where the PS2 was a disparate collection of varying infrastructures), the early 360 era once PSN got started in earnest was still streets ahead and give or take PSN+ (something the others should have done years before) many would still argue XBL has the slight edge though the "playing games, messages and matchmaking" stuff, which is the backbone of the whole enterprise, for now at least, is all there. Where it goes from here is the subject of massive speculation however; MS is doing some interesting stuff whether the gaming types that made it what it is today agree with that statement of not, Sony is walking an odd path and there are even interesting things happening in the PC world.

The gamecube had a few fumblings here when the others were building up, the Wii had proper online play, the DS had online play -- Nintendo's online efforts are not new. Beyond that when looking at the world at large, something it usually wise to consider from time to time, online games on consoles goes back many years; even sticking with mainline stuff the genesis/megadrive had stuff in Japan, big franchises like Phantasy Star no less, and online play on PCs has massive history, online emulation of old console games (see Kaillera) happened for years and

A best Nintendo have been caught with the pants down and have been awkwardly fumbling ever since while the others make a pale imitation of greatness. At worst Nintendo were wilfully negligent.
Also proper world class online infrastructure at the levels Nintendo wants takes a tad more than "a lil more".

Nintendo Network just started with the Wii U. Ninetndo Network didn't exist on the Wii, GC, DS, 3DS(Will though).

PSN wasn't on the PS2. Xbox Live though started on the Original Xbox. Yeah in the first 2 years(I have had a PS3 & Xbox 360 since Launch) Xbox Live had a lil advantage. But just with the features you could do. I have never found and diference in the speed and if one lag the other also lag. Thats why I said I've not found a difference between the 2.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo Network just started with the Wii U. Ninetndo Network didn't exist on the Wii, GC, DS, 3DS(Will though).

PSN wasn't on the PS2. Xbox Live though started on the Original Xbox. Yeah in the first 2 years(I have had a PS3 & Xbox 360 since Launch) Xbox Live had a lil advantage. But just with the features you could do. I have never found and diference in the speed and if one lag the other also lag. Thats why I said I've not found a difference between the 2.

So the key to disguising your failed efforts at performing a task is to rebrand it or to possibly avoid branding it until the last possible moment (and maybe a moment more after that). More seriously though I would not believe for a second that all of them did not draw upon their previous efforts when designing the new stuff and thusly I am even less inclined to forgive sloppiness.

For the rest though you were both late to the gig and lucky once you got in, others, in enough numbers to be significant, were less fortunate.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The results so far:
- 72 respondents do not have a gaming PC
- 22 respondents think "best infrastructure" = "gives the most shit away for free"
- 20 respondents are delusional
- 27 respondents are paying for something that should be free
- 3 respondents are pretending they don't regret their ouya purchase and/or onlive subscription

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Steam really? Steam servers as buggy, they require maintenance about every week, and can go offline at random times which can take anywhere from 1 minute to half an hour. It's the worst next to PSN.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So you and your friends all play the exact same games at the exact same time then?
My friends and I are all into different types of games so we appreciate being able to chat without having to dial each other up on the phone.

Aside from that:
- uptime
- latency
- customer support

Gaming vs content

Xbox customer support is worse than a brick wall.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does Nintendo have 25 votes?
It's the only console left with free online and there is miiverse. With an account sydtem, I probably wouldn't hesitate to choose it. That said, I was thinking Xbox, but with PC and Steam in there idk.
Should we throw in the android market too? :P

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Steam really? Steam servers as buggy, they require maintenance about every week, and can go offline at random times which can take anywhere from 1 minute to half an hour. It's the worst next to PSN.

Because Steam is so overwhelmingly popular. Also seems to be regional, because I hardly ever have problems with steam like that. Its up basically all the time, the only thing I notice sometimes is the steam client going a little slowly when loading things. Still doesn't happen too often.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of the 250+ respondents so far, I'm going to estimate that at least 200 don't know what the word "infrastructure" means...

Looks more like a "who has the best sales and/or gives the most shit away for free" contest ;)

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Though I am none too great a fan of a lot of the alternatives to have steam as a monopoly does not seem like the best move.
Yeah, I must agree. More choice is usually better for the customer, competition between the developers/publishers is positive for the consumer.

But it's just so sad if you can't play the game you just paid 50 GBP for because it's on uPlay, and for some reason that DRM doesn't work. Origin is alright to be honest, although it's still another application you HAVE to keep and keep updated, on your gaming PC.
Steam is just so much better, and I wouldn't mind having them a monopoly. They are just great, but maybe, that's because there's also a little bit of competition now ;) Keeps them on the top of their game!

Jaems

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Are you living in the year 2005? Honestly, I'd like to know what "servers" you are talking about. Steam indeed updates frequently but it's been a long time since the random disconnects have been a common issue. Like a poster said above, this could be regional or related to your ISP.

It's the only console left with free online and there is miiverse. With an account sydtem, I probably wouldn't hesitate to choose it. That said, I was thinking Xbox, but with PC and Steam in there idk.
Should we throw in the android market too? :P

I think you need to read the question being asked more carefully.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...