Hacking Post your questions about which flashcart to buy

cmonster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Use? DS mostly, though GBA couldn't hurt.
Price Range? up to $50 (including expendable memory if applicable)
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? No preference.
Special features? None.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular M3Real

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
Support slot-2 GBA? Could be nice, though not necessary.

I come from owning the dreaded DS-X so I'm trying to be extra careful. I'm mainly looking for a flashcart that has a good support and good compatibility. I'm not looking for any special features as I'll get spoiled by them, to be honest. Just a good ol' fashioned cart that can play games that are out now and are most likely to be future-proof is fine with me. Cheaper the better, too, as I'm on a budget.

Question specifically about M3Real: What's the deal with M3Sakura? I've seen it being talked about in the forums but not sure what makes it so special.

Also, I'm looking to buying my friend a flashcart, though she doesn't game as much as I do. I was thinking about getting her something cheap like DSTT, but wanted some opinion about it before making that leap. Thanks.

Syao4

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Um, it seems like my DSTT is screwed up.
I just need a good reliable card, I read that the R4 has no more support and updates, so it's not going to play much future games. (Dunno if it's true though)
How's the supercard ds one? Or the Acekard 2?

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
franky86 said:
Use? DS and GBA roms
Price Range? any
Slot 1/2? I need both to play DS and GBA roms right? or can i run gba games off a cyclo? i believe i can't.
Built in or expandable memory? expandable
Special features? do any support SDHC? i have 2 16 GB cards, or will I have to get a micro SDHC(I only have a 512 mb micro SD card)
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular I've looked at a lot of them but Cyclo DS + EZ Flash 3in1 seems like the best quality/features, a lot of features I don't "need" but will take if I can get them.
Other?

What site to get it from? I have dealwoot.com bookmarked, they have free shipping.

roughly, how many DS games can you fit on a 2/4/8 gb card? what about my 512 mb card?
roughly, how many GBA games can fit on the EZ Flash3in1?

on dealwoot:
http://www.dealwoot.com/index.php?target=p...roduct_id=29870

it states:
"#NEW!!! 512Mbit GBA card
#NDS Browser RAM Expansion Pack"

Does that Cyclo come with a EZ Flash 3in1 or do I need to buy one? I am not sure from the description.

Thanks for any help.
whoa lol. so many questions XD
ok well first off, i do believe the cyclo is best for your needs. and yes, you do need a 3 in 1 to run GBA games. most flashcarts do support SDHC now (cyclo does fersure) so no need to worry about that.
as for where to get it from, dealwoot is an excellent store and realhotstuff is good as well. theyre about the same prices but it depends on certain sales they have at the moment.
for the amount of NDS games on a 2GB, it really depends because some games are a lot smaller than others. but id say roughly 20? and 4GB, would be 40 ish and so on.
you usually put your GBA games on your slot 1 flashcart (3in1 doesnt have microSD slot anyway) so it depends on the size of your microSD(HC).
and no, the cyclo doesnt come with an EZflash3in1. if you want to, you have to pay like 22$ more.
hope that helps.

@cmonster:
sorry, i dont have any experience with the M3 so i wouldnt know
QUOTE(Syao4 @ Mar 13 2009, 05:18 PM) Um, it seems like my DSTT is screwed up.
I just need a good reliable card, I read that the R4 has no more support and updates, so it's not going to play much future games. (Dunno if it's true though)
yes, its true that the R4 has no more support and updates. so stay away from the R4. the supercard can be considered as one of the best flashcarts along with the cyclo. its hard to navigate at first though. has a lot of options. the acekard 2 is a fine choice if you want to pay lesser but for a great flashcart. its cheap, fast, has a beautiful GUI. it just has less features (like RTS and ingame reader like the supercard). both are great choices, so pick whether you want to pay more for features or not.

chumbley

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking for a flashcard to for my 8 year old's DS Lite. I need it to be as simple as possible, ideally with the ability to remove menu choices that could lead to problems. Very simple listing / selection. Booting to a simple menu with graphic icons and game names only would be ideal.

I just want to consolidate the games she owns into a single ROM so that we don't have to keep track of her game cards. Replacing them is getting too expensive! The unit is unmodified.

Use? Games
Price Range? Don't care
Slot 1/2? 1 (the DS card slot)
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable preferred
Special features? Simple GUI, support for download play and wifi play
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular Not really
Other? Nope

Thanks!

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
chumbley said:
I'm looking for a flashcard to for my 8 year old's DS Lite. I need it to be as simple as possible, ideally with the ability to remove menu choices that could lead to problems. Very simple listing / selection. Booting to a simple menu with graphic icons and game names only would be ideal.

I just want to consolidate the games she owns into a single ROM card so that we don't have to keep track of her game cards. Replacing them is getting too expensive! The unit is unmodified.

I suggest the Acekard2, it has a nice menu that is very skin-able and loads very fast, it show the icon and game name.

Use? Games DS, GBA with expansion slot2 card
Price Range? Don't care One of the cheaper cards, distributors
Slot 1/2? 1 (the DS card slot) slot1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable preferred micro SD(HC)
Special features? Simple GUI, support for download play and wifi play nice gui with much skins, download play, wifi, action replay(cheating)
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular Not really NO R4
Other? Nope official GUI can be replaced by AKAIO (Acekard All-in-one) for more functions

Thanks!

Syao4

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
tinymonkeyt said:
Syao4 said:
Um, it seems like my DSTT is screwed up.
yes, its true that the R4 has no more support and updates. so stay away from the R4. the supercard can be considered as one of the best flashcarts along with the cyclo. its hard to navigate at first though. has a lot of options. the acekard 2 is a fine choice if you want to pay lesser but for a great flashcart. its cheap, fast, has a beautiful GUI. it just has less features (like RTS and ingame reader like the supercard). both are great choices, so pick whether you want to pay more for features or not.
Thanks, I don't really need the extra features so I'll go with the Acekard.

peregy

Trophies
XP
Country
i decided that i will buy the acekard 2.1 and an 8gb micro SDHC card.The only problem is that i dont know from where i can get it cheap enough and they ships internationally(Montenegro,Serbia&Montenegro or Yugoslavia that's same) and where i can pay with a credit card.I though of buying it from DealExtreme but i need paypal to buy from there and my country is not supported
frown.gif

alexkapi12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Use? Game roms
Price Range? Less than 40$, preferably cheap.
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable
Special features? 100% and the ability to read gba roms.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular I am thinking about the acekard 2i because I might upgrade to the new ds soon, but supercard and cyclods are also options

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
peregy said:
i decided that i will buy the acekard 2.1 and an 8gb micro SDHC card.The only problem is that i dont know from where i can get it cheap enough and they ships internationally(Montenegro,Serbia&Montenegro or Yugoslavia that's same) and where i can pay with a credit card.I though of buying it from DealExtreme but i need paypal to buy from there and my country is not supported
frown.gif
maybe thers a good one here:
http://www.acekard.com/distributors.php

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
alexkapi12 said:
Use? Game roms DS, GBA with expansion (and only on DS(lite), not DSi)
Price Range? Less than 40$, preferably cheap. around $40, $20 without expansion
Slot 1/2? 1 slot1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable micro SD(HC)
Special features? 100% and the ability to read gba roms. 100% , GBA with expansion
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular I am thinking about the acekard 2i because I might upgrade to the new ds soon, but supercard and cyclods are also options
I guess you best choice is an Acekard2i and the EZ flash 3 in 1 expansion pack
The expansion is for the GBA games and as a bonus you get rumble and memory expansion
NOTE: The expansion pack is needed for GBA and thus the DSi cant play GBA games as it has no slot2
The total price is around $40 on DX, but you don't need to order there if you don't want to
Supercard and CycloDS are good cards, but then you wont have enough money to buy the expansion for gba games

knumskul

Trophies
XP
Country
Use? DS lite games only
Price Range? doesn't really matter, preferably cheap
Slot 1/2? slot 1
Built in or expandable memory? micro SDHC
Special features? won't turn my DS into a brick?
tongue.gif

Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular R4-III, acekard, cyclods, M3, DSTT
Other?

Read that the R4-III isn't really recommended.
Also that many DSTT users have had a number of problems.
What advantages does the Cyclods give for its higher price?

Ballistic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It means that the SuperCard DS One was able to play Grand Theft Auto - Chinatown Wars. But I say completely ignore that statement rasputin said because all cards can basically play Grand Theft Auto now. *slings back* Choke on your untweaked menu beech! I kid.

Goobaman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Splych, thanks for all your assistance on behalf of everyone you've helped. I'm strongly considering getting an Acekard right now. Since you own one, is its compatibility good? Or just average? My R4 has been freezing almost constantly at this point, so really I just want something that won't freeze every 30 minutes. And one last thing, does it work well with an EZFlash 3 in 1? If so, I will officially be sold. Thanks again friend.

MaXAiRO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Well guys, it s my first post here. I have an R4 III Revolution, it s a clone but it works 100% with no problems until now and kernel updates still come out every 1-2 months. However, I decided to buy an ??Flash V Plus 3 in 1 because I want to play both NDS and GBA roms and some Homebrew appz. Would you suggest me to buy another one and not the EZ? And what s the difference between this and this?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
MaXAiRO said:
Well guys, it s my first post here. I have an R4 III Revolution, it s a clone but it works 100% with no problems until now and kernel updates still come out every 1-2 months. However, I decided to buy an ??Flash V Plus 3 in 1 because I want to play both NDS and GBA roms and some Homebrew appz. Would you suggest me to buy another one and not the EZ? And what s the difference between this and this?
EZ flash is a good expansion
theres not much other expansions that have 3 functions in 1 cartridge
and it has good compatibility (only don't know if it works on your card but I think it will, almost certainly if you have YSmenu)

about the links: the first one comes with an EZ falsh V plus flashcard and some accessories, the other one is only the expansion
so if you don't need a new flashcard, buy the second one

QUOTE(Goobaman @ Mar 16 2009, 06:37 AM) Splych, thanks for all your assistance on behalf of everyone you've helped. I'm strongly considering getting an Acekard right now. Since you own one, is its compatibility good? Or just average? My R4 has been freezing almost constantly at this point, so really I just want something that won't freeze every 30 minutes. And one last thing, does it work well with an EZFlash 3 in 1? If so, I will officially be sold. Thanks again friend.
I'm not Splych, but I can answer the questions:
1)Nowday cards have a compatibility of 100%, so don't worry about that
2)It works with the EZ flash expansion

Shohan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? DS, GBA, SNES, NES games. Homebrew?
Price Range? Negotiable
Slot 1/2? Both since I want to play GBA
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable. I already have an 8GB microSD card.
Special features? Definately want to be able to use the WIFI for multiplayer games. Ideally like I had the real game inserted.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular
Other?

Well, I borrowed a buddies U2DS card and have been playing with it. It seems to work well with the games I've tried, but I've heard it's a clone or something, blah blah. What it comes down to though is I'd like to be able to play DS games, GBA with a slot 2 card (probably EZFlash 3-in-1), figure out how to play SNES and NES games as well. Homebrew would be cool, but honestly I have no clue what homebrew apps are out there. I just started with this stuff.

Price is negotiable because if I can get all this to work it'll be cheaper in the long run. Needs MicroSDHC support, which as I've read isn't really a probelm anymore, because I already have an 8GB MicroSD card.

I keep seeing the CycloDS is the best. As I understand it there are only a couple flashcarts that support savestates like when you are using an emulator on a PC right? That would be a handy feature to have instead of having to search for a save point in whatever game. The in-game guid feature sounds really cool, but not totally needed. I can look up guides form a PC or something, but it would still be a plus.

Thanks for the help.
moogle.gif

MaXAiRO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
tj_cool said:
EZ flash is a good expansion
theres not much other expansions that have 3 functions in 1 cartridge
and it has good compatibility (only don't know if it works on your card but I think it will, almost certainly if you have YSmenu)

about the links: the first one comes with an EZ falsh V plus flashcard and some accessories, the other one is only the expansion
so if you don't need a new flashcard, buy the second one
Thank you for the info. I m thinking of buying a brand new flash cart since i want a stable and original flash cart and not the R4 i have at the moment. Shall I buy Acekard 2 + EZ slot 2 expansion or the one at the first link i gave you? What do you suggest?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol