Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ill_kuma said:
Use? - DS games
Price Range? - up to $30
Slot 1/2? - not sure whats the difference...but mainly whatever works
Built in or expandable memory? - not sure whats the difference...but mainly whatever works
Special features? - want media player
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular - K6 SuperCard Multimedia Flash and EZflash V and Supercard DS One and Edge (but dont like the fact that the cart is not flush).
Other? - want the menu and stuff to navigate with ease...its for my 8yr old nephew.

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
Support slot-2 GBA? -
Support slot-2 rumble packs? - dont really need.
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? - dont really need.

For slot-2's (ignore if you want a slot-1): expansion pack or its own memory?

So my needs are for a card that does not stick out when plugged into the DS...needs media player....supports at least up to 4gigs...easily navigate.

anyone want to answer which cart is best for my simple needs? looking at the following:
K6 SuperCard Multimedia Flash
EZflash V
Supercard DS One
Edge
Acekard 2

linkje

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Use? - DS games movie homebrew
Price Range? - up to 45 euro
Slot 1/2? - slot 1
Built in or expandable memory? - expandable sdhc
Special features? - many as possible
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular - acekard 2 edge itouch dstt

Support slot-2 GBA? - yes
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? - ok.
need slot 2 phat

ShAdOwFuRi

Trophies
XP
Country
ill_kuma said:
ill_kuma said:
Use? - DS games
Price Range? - up to $30
Slot 1/2? - not sure whats the difference...but mainly whatever works
Built in or expandable memory? - not sure whats the difference...but mainly whatever works
Special features? - want media player
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular - K6 SuperCard Multimedia Flash and EZflash V and Supercard DS One and Edge (but dont like the fact that the cart is not flush).
Other? - want the menu and stuff to navigate with ease...its for my 8yr old nephew.

Support slot-2 GBA? -
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? - dont really need.

For slot-2's (ignore if you want a slot-1): expansion pack or its own memory?

So my needs are for a card that does not stick out when plugged into the DS...needs media player....supports at least up to 4gigs...easily navigate.

anyone want to answer which cart is best for my simple needs? looking at the following:
K6 SuperCard Multimedia Flash
EZflash V
Supercard DS One
Edge
Acekard 2

Acekard 2, but if your nephew like to throw his toys around alot... then choose the Edge.

kaitou319

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently deciding which flashcart to buy between "DSTT" or "Supercard DSOne SDHC" from a local store. I would like to know which of these 2 is more reliable and easy to use. I will mostly use it for playing DS games.

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kaitou319 said:
I'm currently deciding which flashcart to buy between "DSTT" or "Supercard DSOne SDHC" from a local store. I would like to know which of these 2 is more reliable and easy to use. I will mostly use it for playing DS games.
supercard is harder to use but has more features
if youre only interested in playing games, the DSTT is fine (although i recommend the acekard 2 or edge also)

ill_kuma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[/quote]
Acekard 2, but if your nephew like to throw his toys around alot... then choose the Edge.
[/quote]

But I thought the Edge carts are not flush when put into the DS...the cart sticks out and that mean more vulnerable to getting damage...or am I wrong?

Also, what is the difference between the Acekard 2 and the Acekard 2i? Theres a big price difference...

tpyke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
USE Mostly DS games, some GB games, and maybe eventually videos (but videos aren't really important
PRICE RANGEHopefully under $100
Slot 1
Built in or expandable memoryExpandable
GBA compatibility?Yes
Special features? SDHC compatibility
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particularno

Also, if it isn't too much trouble could you recommend a reputable dealer for said card....When I was on R4DS's site and clicked on the where to buy button, they sent me to a store selling R4DS III's, and in one of the stickies on here it says that R4DS III's are clones. I don't want a clone...

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ill_kuma said:

But I thought the Edge carts are not flush when put into the DS...the cart sticks out and that mean more vulnerable to getting damage...or am I wrong?

Also, what is the difference between the Acekard 2 and the Acekard 2i? Theres a big price difference...
EDGE I think is not flush fitting meaning it wont go in just like a normal DS game. But thing is, it'll still go in. It will go into the DS, but won't have the same feel when it gets inserted.

Simple differences actually...

AceKard 2 compatible with Nintendo DS and Nintendo DS Lite
AceKard 2i compatible with Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite and Nintendo DSi

QUOTE(tpyke @ Jan 8 2009, 01:51 PM) USE Mostly DS games, some GB games, and maybe eventually videos (but videos aren't really important
PRICE RANGEHopefully under $100
Slot 1
Built in or expandable memoryExpandable
GBA compatibility?Yes
Special features? SDHC compatibility
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particularno

Also, if it isn't too much trouble could you recommend a reputable dealer for said card....When I was on R4DS's site and clicked on the where to buy button, they sent me to a store selling R4DS III's, and in one of the stickies on here it says that R4DS III's are clones. I don't want a clone...
R4DS III is a clone. Don't bother with it anyway, since it stopped production.

With your request, I have come up with 3 flashcart choices...

- AceKard 2
- EDGE
- CycloDS Evolution

All under $100 for sure xDD

AceKard 2 is a simple flashcart that comes at a cheap price of under $20. The GUI is fast and simple. It just shows the directories and loads the games. When loading a NDS Game, it instantly creates a .sav file. It takes some time, but once the .sav file is created, the game will load much faster. It also has a built in GBA Loader, so all you need to do is load the GBA rom (Need Expansion Pack Still).

EDGE is another simple flashcart much like the R4DS and CycloDS. It's GUI is simple and clean, but the only thing that bothers people is that it will always ask you if you want to turn on cheats or not before you start a game. Some find it annoying, some just let is pass by. You can get it for under $20.

The CycloDS Evolution is currently the top of the line flashcart to many people. It goes for a much more expensive price then the EDGE or AceKard 2. Usually goes out for $50 -> $70 (Depending on where you buy it). It has many features such as Slow-Mo, In Game Guide and much more. THE GUI is very clean from what I read. And many people appreciate the money they pay for it.

Videos are all played from one application known as "MoonShell". Pretty much is the only video player. It uses .dpg video files. Search around in the forums to find guides on how to convert them.

==========

Where to buy:

For AceKard 2 and EDGE:

Cheap Prices, Free Shipping, But Slow Shipping, Based in Asia: DealExtreme
Expensive-ish Prices, No Free Shipping, Based in Canada: KickGaming

For CycloDS Evolution:

Okay prices, Fast Shipping, Based in Canada: GamerSection
Expensive-ish Prices, No Free Shipping, Based in USA: RelaHotStuff or DealWoot

All those sites are trustable as many people order from them. I order from KickGaming a lot, and I receive my items fast.

tpyke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just ordered a CycloDS.

Does any Micro SD card fit in there? I looked on the site and they didn't mention it so I didn't want to take a chance ...would an 8GB Kingston work with the CycloDS?

Thanks alot for taking the time and giving me your input Echo, VERY much appreciated!

JumboFatCakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry i have to ruin the 1337nes, but i have a request.

Use? Plays DS and GBA is a must. Might use a little bit of internet and other types of games too. NES and SNES capability would also be awesome
Price Range? i don't care
Slot 1/2? i don't care
Built in or expandable memory? expandable would be nice
Special features? NES and SNES support, and be able to download online games onto it. Custom interface would be cool too
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular I've heard Cyclo DS is good, and friend has an r4, but i don't know much about these things, so i don't care.
Other?i'm new to this thing so it would be nice to have something user friendly, but i have tech friends that can help me too if there is not one that is user friendly that would better suit me.
I would also want an all in one, i would prefer not to have to buy 1 for ds games and another for gba games.

Support slot-2 GBA? YES
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Does not matter
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Perfer, but not a must

For slot-2's (ignore if you want a slot-1): expansion pack or its own memory? i don't know

ShAdOwFuRi

Trophies
XP
Country
Go either Acekard 2 + EZFlash 3 in 1, for a cheaper, but fully functional combination

or... you can go the premium CycloDS + EZFlash 3 in 1, which has a whole lot more features, but is substantially more expensive, like 30-40 USD more expensive.

ITBlogger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which flash card has the best support?

I mean which one is updated the most often by the developers.

Everyone seems to like CycloDS but they haven't released a new update for the Evolution in like a year, whereas Acekard has been releasing updates regularly and more recently.

Also has anyone compiled a list of which flash cards GBATemp has given "gold" award to? So far it seems like they've given it to CycloDS, AceKard, EDGE and G6DS Real (which I can't even find anymore).

My druthers right now are to save a few bucks and go with the Acekard, but I'd like the CycloDS for the anytime save feature.

Anyone have any thoughts?

ITBlogger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also I've read on here some talk about difference in battery life for some of the flash cards...which flash card has best battery life? I generally play at lowest brightness.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tpyke said:
Just ordered a CycloDS.

Does any Micro SD card fit in there? I looked on the site and they didn't mention it so I didn't want to take a chance ...would an 8GB Kingston work with the CycloDS?

Thanks alot for taking the time and giving me your input Echo, VERY much appreciated!
Yea. It's SDHC supported. So any SD Card or SDHC Card should work with it. 8GB would work, but many people don't really need all that space depending on the usage of it. What I am gonna say is somewhat off topic, but it should still relate in a way. If you are gonna put a lot of games, a lot of music, and some videos/movies, then the 8GB would be good. Unless you are just using it for games, music a few videos, I would advise you to get a 4GB instead. They are cheaper, and I doubt that most people can fill a 8GB for everyday usage (Like when you use every since thing on it everyday xDD)

If you got anymore questions, just keep on asking me. I won't mind answering peoples' questions!

golden said:
this topic now has 1337 replies

that's so l33t!!!
This post is so off topic >.<

JumboFatCakes said:
Sorry i have to ruin the 1337nes, but i have a request.

Use? Plays DS and GBA is a must. Might use a little bit of internet and other types of games too. NES and SNES capability would also be awesome
Price Range? i don't care
Slot 1/2? i don't care
Built in or expandable memory? expandable would be nice
Special features? NES and SNES support, and be able to download online games onto it. Custom interface would be cool too
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular I've heard Cyclo DS is good, and friend has an r4, but i don't know much about these things, so i don't care.
Other?i'm new to this thing so it would be nice to have something user friendly, but i have tech friends that can help me too if there is not one that is user friendly that would better suit me.
I would also want an all in one, i would prefer not to have to buy 1 for ds games and another for gba games.

Support slot-2 GBA? YES
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Does not matter
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Perfer, but not a must

For slot-2's (ignore if you want a slot-1): expansion pack or its own memory? i don't know
Like Shadow has said, the AceKard 2 and EZ-Flash go out for a great price and very good functionallity. The GUI is very clean and simple, while the skins our their are very nice! I own the AceKard 2 and EZ-Flash 3-in-1, and it's worth the money you pay for!

Unless you want extra features such as Slow-Mo or Real Time Save, then go with the CycloDS and EZ-Flash 3-in-1. GUI is also clean and simple, many skins our there. The only problem is that they sell the Cyclo-DS for a much more higher price compared to the AceKard. If you are low on budget, go with the AceKard 2 + EZ- Flash 3-in-1. If you want the top of the line, then go with the CycloDS.

Like I said a few posts back, here's where you buy them:

Where to buy:

For AceKard 2 and EDGE:

Cheap Prices, Free Shipping, But Slow Shipping, Based in Asia: DealExtreme
Expensive-ish Prices, No Free Shipping, Based in Canada: KickGaming

For CycloDS Evolution:

Okay prices, Fast Shipping, Based in Canada: GamerSection
Expensive-ish Prices, No Free Shipping, Based in USA: RelaHotStuff or DealWoot

All those sites are trustable as many people order from them. I order from KickGaming a lot, and I receive my items fast.

Posts merged

Cont'd...

ITBlogger said:
Which flash card has the best support?

I mean which one is updated the most often by the developers.

Everyone seems to like CycloDS but they haven't released a new update for the Evolution in like a year, whereas Acekard has been releasing updates regularly and more recently.

Also has anyone compiled a list of which flash cards GBATemp has given "gold" award to? So far it seems like they've given it to CycloDS, AceKard, EDGE and G6DS Real (which I can't even find anymore).

My druthers right now are to save a few bucks and go with the Acekard, but I'd like the CycloDS for the anytime save feature.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Well, the AceKard 2 has been updated multiple times. So you should have the best compatibility with the latest roms. Whereas the CycloDS does not get as frequent updates as the AceKard 2. The awards, for me, I don't really pay attention too. I just look for compatibility and price.

QUOTE(ITBlogger @ Jan 9 2009, 07:41 PM)
Also I've read on here some talk about difference in battery life for some of the flash cards...which flash card has best battery life? I generally play at lowest brightness.
I am not sure about this question. Sorry, I can't really help you. I know Expansion Packs have batteries, but I haven't really read about flashcart batteries.
I have heard of a feature for the CycloDS which reduces battery usage. So I guess that would be your best bet to answer you question. All the other flashcarts don't have the same feature.

QUOTE(JumboFatCakes @ Jan 9 2009, 11:02 PM)
So wait a minuet, i thought there was a card out there that could play both ds and gba in one card. I really don't want to buy 2 cards.
To answer you question properly, no there isn't as Pharaoh has said. You would need to buy 2 main things,

- A DS FlashCart
- An Expansion Pack for Slot-2 (GBA Slot)

But, some flashcarts do have built-in support for GBA roms. But you will still need an Expansion Pack though. The AceKard 2 and CycloDS have built in support for GBA Roms, but you will still need the expansion pack. All other flashcarts need third-party homebrew to load the GBA roms.

luan87us

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I'm getting a Nintendo DS for the first time ever soon. I am either getting a DS Lite or the original DS but most likely the DS Lite. I have some knowledge in modding consoles and such (Self modded 360, psp, ps2, wii). So I am also looking to mod my DS as well. I've been reading around and well I narrowed down my choices of EZFlash V +, CycloDS Evo, AceKard2. And while reading I can see that CycloDS seems to have best functions out of the 3 but I am only going to use my NDS for games (DS, GBA) so I want some opinions before I make purchase. I don't care about any multimedia functions as for I have a Ipod touch, all I want my NDS to do is play roms, and homebrews with the best compatibility, and best supports, easy to use features. My best interest right now is theEZFlash V+ with the EZFlash 3in1 expansion pack be cause it comes to about $40 total from dealextreme.net. The reason why I'm asking questions because I don't see much talks about the EZFlash V+ in this thread so I don't know if it's a solid good card to buy. Please help me with some input. Thanks you.

RuneEdge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there such a thing as a slot 1 only card that has expandable memory and can run every game and homebrew by simply dragging the files onto the memory card without the use of a patching software?
I don't really care about all the extra media options, just something with 100% compatibility without patching.
Thanks in advance.

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RuneEdge said:
Is there such a thing as a slot 1 only card that has expandable memory and can run every game and homebrew by simply dragging the files onto the memory card without the use of a patching software?
I don't really care about all the extra media options, just something with 100% compatibility without patching.
Thanks in advance.
Basically all of the ones used now do this. Acekard2, EDGE, M3 Real, Supercard DS One, and the CycloDS are the main ones. They all have the features you want, so it just depends on price or how many other features you're interested in.

ShAdOwFuRi

Trophies
XP
Country
luan87us said:
Hi everyone. I'm getting a Nintendo DS for the first time ever soon. I am either getting a DS Lite or the original DS but most likely the DS Lite. I have some knowledge in modding consoles and such (Self modded 360, psp, ps2, wii). So I am also looking to mod my DS as well. I've been reading around and well I narrowed down my choices of EZFlash V +, CycloDS Evo, AceKard2. And while reading I can see that CycloDS seems to have best functions out of the 3 but I am only going to use my NDS for games (DS, GBA) so I want some opinions before I make purchase. I don't care about any multimedia functions as for I have a Ipod touch, all I want my NDS to do is play roms, and homebrews with the best compatibility, and best supports, easy to use features. My best interest right now is theEZFlash V+ with the EZFlash 3in1 expansion pack be cause it comes to about $40 total from dealextreme.net. The reason why I'm asking questions because I don't see much talks about the EZFlash V+ in this thread so I don't know if it's a solid good card to buy. Please help me with some input. Thanks you.

Acekard 2 + EZFlash 3 in 1, the EZFlash V+ is not a very good cart. Acekard 2 now has support for the 3 in 1 through the custom firmware AKAIO and suits your needs perfectly. Arguably the best GUI out there, doesn't have that many features, but is extremely cheap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Sup