Country
United States
hakujintanuki said:
Use? DS games, GBA games, homebrew old console emulation
Price Range? doesn't matter
Slot 1/2? 1, but with RAM/GBA expansion
Built in or expandable memory? expandable
Special features?
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular I'm looking at the M3DS Real with GBA expansion or possible an R4 with EZ 3-in-1.

As I said, I'm really mainly concerned with DS emulation and GBA emulation.
Although with the two options I've stated, do these devices allow for more than one GBA rom to be loaded into memory at once, and then chosen from a list through the software? (I remember reading about something that didn't allow that, it simply booted as if there was a cartrdige in the GBA slot). And how do they handle GBA emulation in peoples' own experience. I always seem to read somethign like "not too bad" in reviews, but nothing more specific.

How are they for homebrew support in the arena of older console emulation? From the lack of details in file descriptions, I can't seem to determine which would work with these two devices, or if they would work well.
Mostly interested in NES, GB, GBC,
SNES (if possible), Sega systems and Turbo Grafx (if there is anything).

I'm leaning towards the M3 because I like the idea of everything being built in, flush together, rather than having to run GBA through a separate utility (as in with an R4 plus 3-in-1 idea). But let me know which device would be better for what I have in mind, if you can.

Thanks very much.

Get the CycloDS and EZ-Flash 3 in 1. Don't even think about getting an R4.

hakujintanuki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
omgroffles, EmerorOfCanada, DeMoN

Thanks very much guys! I bought CyclosDS with EZ 3-in-1 and I'm quite satisfied! =)
It does everything I wanted and VERY easily.
Nice stuff.

I'm using Lameboy for old GameBoy game emulation, but does anyone know if there's another one that handles the color palettes used in SuperGameBoy?
Also, does anyone know if there is a TG-16/PC Engine emulator for DS?
And even though SNES emulation isn't great, what do you suggest I try?

Thanks.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hakujintanuki said:
omgroffles, EmerorOfCanada, DeMoN

Thanks very much guys! I bought CyclosDS with EZ 3-in-1 and I'm quite satisfied! =)
It does everything I wanted and VERY easily.
Nice stuff.

I'm using Lameboy for old GameBoy game emulation, but does anyone know if there's another one that handles the color palettes used in SuperGameBoy?

Thanks.
Glad you're enjoying your Cyclo.
yaynds.gif

Lameboy is the best and only Gameboy Color emulator.
No I have not heard of a TG-16/PCE emulator for the DS and if there were it probably wouldn't be that good.
For the SNES emulator, I recommend using SNEmulDS as it has the best compatibility.

For more information about emulators that run on the DS, check this topic: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=70364

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hakujintanuki said:

Thanks.

Lameboy does have support for SGB palettes if the game itself provided one for the SGB to use. Same with SGB borders. Before you load your game, go to the options menu and enable SGB support, then load a compatible game (like Pokemon for instance). The border should appear and you'll see the game-provided palette. Lameboy does not have support for the 10+ palettes that the SGB had that could be used for any game.

Since you're getting a 3in1, another good option is Goomba Color. It has several enhanced options when it comes to SGB support. For instance, it supports both the game-provided palette (if there is one) and also the first 3 or 4 SGB-provided palettes. It too has support for the borders. In addition, for some dual-mode games you can actually get both the SGB border and GBC colors (for example, with Azure Dreams or Link's Awakening), something Lameboy doesn't offer. Of course, this won't take up the full DS resolution (unless you use the alpha Goomba Color DS port which can load saves but cannot update them), but it's still a nice touch nonetheless.

There is no way for any GB/GBC emulator to support the colorizations that the GBC/GBA gave to old GB games, as this data was stored on the undumpable GBC BIOS itself, not within the rom. Therefore, you'll have to be content with premade palettes or Super Gameboy palettes.

There is no PCE emulator for the DS, but again since you're getting a 3in1 you can try PCE Advance for the GBA. Make sure you read up on PCEtoy and how to use it to get US games working.

For SNES, use SNEmulDS first. If that doesn't work, you can try SnezziDS (which again you can use because of the 3in1). Look up the articles for both of those on the PocketHeaven wiki for usage instructions, and keep in mind that for SnezziDS you'll need to rename the output *.nds file to *.gba and launch it through GBA ExpLoader.

mitsukuni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
im really quite new to dslite though its out for so long. I was thinking of getting a flashcard but was confused by all the different reviews on the flashcards available as im not good at the technical terms. I hope someone can help me out. Thanks.

Use? play games, music, videos (by the way, what is homebrew? I saw this word everywhere but dont really understand)
Price Range? Cheaper would help but i dont mind paying
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? expanable memory is better right?
Special features? i dont really understand what this mean...
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular. No, not really
Other?

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
Support slot-2 GBA? Not necessary but would be an advantage
Support slot-2 rumble packs? sorry, but what is this?
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Not necessary

For slot-2's (ignore if you want a slot-1): expansion pack or its own memory? which is better?

Im really sorry for not knowing alot of things. But, i'll go and find out and hope someone can help me out with choosing a flashcard first. Thanks

mitsukuni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
thanks you so much for replying and letting me see the post you wrote. After seeing it, i'm really clear on what is going on and i think im more suited with CycloDS because i'm a person who needs things to be as simple and convenient as ever. I mean, i don't mind all the waiting time needed for the CycloDS to load or save, but i definitely need the simplicity.

Thank you so much.
smile.gif

reaperman@home

Trophies
Website
www.geocities.com
XP
Country
Use? Commercial roms
Price Range? ~$40
Slot 1/2? 1
Special features? *SDHC*
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular anything with SDHC
Other? Replacing an R4DS which has come down with some reliability issues, want to use 8gb microSDHC. I want drag and drop, and jeez are there a lot of choices.

Support slot-2 GBA? sure
Support slot-2 rumble packs? sure
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? sure
(currently own 3-in-1)

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi, looking to buy a flash cart, I am in the UK, and would rather order within the country, so my selection is a little limited as the only flash cart stores i know of here are http://www.pcjerry.co.uk and http://www.model-gadget.com

Use? playing commercial DS and GBA roms
Price Range? looking at the price of cards, effectively unlimited, none cost more than a brand new ds game anyhow
yaynds.gif

Slot 1/2? both/either
GBA compatibility? definately please
Special features? really 100% DS/GBA rom compatibility and ease of use
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular DSTT + EZflash 3 in 1, AceKard2 + EZ flash 3 in 1, M3DS real perfect.

thanks very much in advance!

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE(reaperman@home @ Sep 22 2008, 11:30 AM) Use? Commercial roms
Price Range? ~$40
Slot 1/2? 1
Special features? *SDHC*
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular anything with SDHC
Other? Replacing an R4DS which has come down with some reliability issues, want to use 8gb microSDHC. I want drag and drop, and jeez are there a lot of choices.

Support slot-2 GBA? sure
Support slot-2 rumble packs? sure
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? sure
(currently own 3-in-1)
Well, if youre only interested in playing ROMs,
theres a quite a few that do just that
the acekard 2 is an excellent flashcard. good team, fast loading, beautiful GUI. price 20$ or so
the DSTT is also fast, and reliable. its price dropped down to 11$
and the EDGE. a clone of the cyclo, without all its extra features. around 20$ also

UltraMagnus said:
Hi, looking to buy a flash cart, I am in the UK, and would rather order within the country, so my selection is a little limited as the only flash cart stores i know of here are http://www.pcjerry.co.uk and http://www.model-gadget.com

Use? playing commercial DS and GBA roms
Price Range? looking at the price of cards, effectively unlimited, none cost more than a brand new ds game anyhow
yaynds.gif

Slot 1/2? both/either
GBA compatibility? definately please
Special features? really 100% DS/GBA rom compatibility and ease of use
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular DSTT + EZflash 3 in 1, AceKard2 + EZ flash 3 in 1, M3DS real perfect.

thanks very much in advance!
i think your best bet would be the Acekard 2.
im not sure how compatable it is with the EZflash3in1,
but its pretty nice and i love it.
fast, trustable, amazingly clean and slick
the DSTT is just a lot cheaper. beware though. theres been rumors (maybe theyre true) about fake ones circulating.

Yanazake

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello there, I'm here looking for info about which cart I should get... But I'm a comp´lete noob at nintendo hardware and compatibles...

Use? Games, Music and MAYBE, Homebrew
Price Range? Doesn't matter. It's probably much cheaper than around here
Slot 1/2? What's the difference between the slots? [besides one holds DS carts and the other holds GBA ones]
Built in or expandable memory? eg. If the expandible options comes with at least a little memory until I get a SD...
GBA compatibility? Means if I want gba games on it? Yes I do.
Special features? I don't know what the combatibility things meant, but I heard about slowmotion, and I'd like to have that!
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular Everyone's talking about Cyclos DS, but what's it's average price?

Well, that's it. I hope I can get my DS by next month... and I hope it doesn't take all my free time
tongue.gif

zephyrataka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? Games, some music
Price Range? under 40
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Micro SD, SDHC preferred
Special features? looking to replace the R4, since it's no longer supported, so compatibility with those save files is a must
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular DSTT/EDGE, although EDGE seems more likely atm since it has better file browsing, don't really need the extra functions of the cyclo
Support slot-2 rumble packs? would be nice but not absolutely necessary, don't know of EDGE supports this

would be nice to know some recommended sites to purchase whichever cart I end up using, preferably one that offers discounts for orders of 3-5 cards
somewhat unrelated, but do the newer/current batches of EDGE cards still have the problem where the microSD sticks out?

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yanazake said:
Hello there, I'm here looking for info about which cart I should get... But I'm a comp´lete noob at nintendo hardware and compatibles...

Use? Games, Music and MAYBE, Homebrew
Price Range? Doesn't matter. It's probably much cheaper than around here
Slot 1/2? What's the difference between the slots? [besides one holds DS carts and the other holds GBA ones]
Built in or expandable memory? eg. If the expandible options comes with at least a little memory until I get a SD...
GBA compatibility? Means if I want gba games on it? Yes I do.
Special features? I don't know what the combatibility things meant, but I heard about slowmotion, and I'd like to have that!
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular Everyone's talking about Cyclos DS, but what's it's average price?

Well, that's it. I hope I can get my DS by next month... and I hope it doesn't take all my free time
tongue.gif

The CycloDS is the best choice there is. If you are outside the US, which you seem to be, you will have to pay atleast 60$ shipped. The cheapest I could find is here: http://www.topmodders.com/store/index.php?...p;products_id=5
If you want to play GBA-Games you'll also need an EZ Flash 3 in 1.

QUOTE(zephyrataka @ Sep 28 2008, 04:37 AM) Use? Games, some music
Price Range? under 40
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Micro SD, SDHC preferred
Special features?
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular DSTT/EDGE, although EDGE seems more likely atm since it has better file browsing, don't really need the extra functions of the cyclo
Support slot-2 rumble packs? would be nice but not absolutely necessary, don't know of EDGE supports this

would be nice to know some recommended sites to purchase whichever cart I end up using, preferably one that offers discounts for orders of 3-5 cards
somewhat unrelated, but do the newer/current batches of EDGE cards still have the problem where the microSD sticks out?
I suggest the Acekard 2 and dealextreme as the shop. They don't don't give discount for multiple cards but you won't find the cards that cheap anywhere else, even with discount. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11811

zephyrataka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thx, now i'm bouncing between edge and acekard2 - both are pretty close in price and function. thanks for the site as well, and they do give discounts for ordering 3+ cards

Yanazake

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Slowking said:
The CycloDS is the best choice there is. If you are outside the US, which you seem to be, you will have to pay atleast 60$ shipped. The cheapest I could find is here: http://www.topmodders.com/store/index.php?...p;products_id=5
Wow, really, I just noticed there aren't any cycloDS on Ebay or dealextreme :wtf:
I need some place I can pay with paypal, and If I get a good deal on a DS on Ebay, the price and shipping of cyDS wouldn't be a problem... But I'd really like to find a deal on Ebay with free shipping, even if for a higher price.

Oh, and does that mean that CycloDS doesn't support gba games?

Seven

oh hell no
Trophies
Website
phantasme.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Yanazake said:
Slowking said:
Wow, really, I just noticed there aren't any cycloDS on Ebay or dealextreme :wtf:
I need some place I can pay with paypal, and If I get a good deal on a DS on Ebay, the price and shipping of cyDS wouldn't be a problem... But I'd really like to find a deal on Ebay with free shipping, even if for a higher price.

Oh, and does that mean that CycloDS doesn't support gba games?
DealExtreme cut theirs off due to pricing issues and some arguments being thrown back and forth. It used to be around ~$35 on DX, if you're curious. eBay prohibits the sale of flashcarts/mods/hacked handhelds and/or software, so flashcarts are pretty much auto-deleted. People would rarely ever want to sell off their CycloDS anyways.

CycloDS -does- support GBA games, but rather you'd need a slot-2 cart to supplement it. Slot-1 flash carts can not run GBA games on their own. Slot-1 flash carts can not run GBA games on their own. Slot-1 flash carts can not run GBA games on their own. Now that I've said it three times, you should remember this. All the CycloDS offers in this field is the option of letting you run GBA games from the menu rather than using ExpLoader. IMO, it's not exactly the best thing ever, but at least they tried. I still prefer using GBAExpLoader, it's not that difficult to use.

Also: 1000!

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yep for any Slot 1 card you'll need a Slot-2 expansionto play GBA-games. And like I said a above, I would recommend an EZ 3 in 1. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2967 (those Slot-2 Expasions don't work on their own. They need a Slot-1 card to acompany them. Some support them nativly, some through GBA Explorer. CycloDS, Acekard2 und EZ V have native support for Example...)

Mikecardii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? general use, gba, DS, emulation, the like.
Price Range? Edit: actually I think I can go for under 100
Slot 1/2? I already have an ez-flah 3-in-1
Special features? SDHC support
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular
Other?

Support slot-2 GBA? Yes
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Yes
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Yes

For slot-2's (ignore if you want a slot-1): expansion pack or its own memory?

gpgorbosjr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the post not following the format, but I thought it would be easier.

Looking at the M3 DS Real for DS/GBA/Retro emulation. Yea or Nay?

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Mikecardii said:
Other?

Support slot-2 GBA? Yes

If you don't want any of those fancy features like Realtime Guide or Realtime save, the Acekard2 would be your best bet. You can get one at dealextreme for $13.

QUOTE(gpgorbosjr @ Oct 4 2008, 04:19 AM) Sorry for the post not following the format, but I thought it would be easier.

Nay
I really don't like the M3 Team. They tend to abandon their old flashcards. I wouldn't be surprised if they would bring a new one in a month and you are stuck with your M3 Real without it ever seeing updates again. Furthermore they take ages to bring new Firmwares / Features. I think there still isn't an english version of Sakrua and they had months to do it.
Get a combination of Acekard2 and EZ 3 in 1. This way you are cheaper and you can rely upon, that someone will bring updates and new features, as the firmware-source in the hands of a few very talented homebrew-devs.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16142
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2967

gpgorbosjr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slowking said:
Mikecardii said:
Other?

Support slot-2 GBA? Yes

If you don't want any of those fancy features like Realtime Guide or Realtime save, the Acekard2 would be your best bet. You can get one at dealextreme for $13.

QUOTE(gpgorbosjr @ Oct 4 2008, 04:19 AM) Sorry for the post not following the format, but I thought it would be easier.

Nay
I really don't like the M3 Team. They tend to abandon their old flashcards. I wouldn't be surprised if they would bring a new one in a month and you are stuck with your M3 Real without it ever seeing updates again. Furthermore they take ages to bring new Firmwares / Features. I think there still isn't an english version of Sakrua and they had months to do it.
Get a combination of Acekard2 and EZ 3 in 1. This way you are cheaper and you can rely upon, that someone will bring updates and new features, as the firmware-source in the hands of a few very talented homebrew-devs.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16142
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2967

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm in the US and was wondering what the best site to order off of would be. That site says 7-14 days for air delivery, and the other shipping method, well $18.50 is kind of steep.

I was looking at another site that is based in the US, but the Acekard was $20 more for some reason, which negates me saving anything from not paying extra for shipping.

EDIT: Actually, not that I'm complaining, is there a reason the Acekard is $13 on that site and about $30 on every other?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.