Hacking Post your questions about which flashcart to buy

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
suchira said:
In the case that everyone just says CycloDS + EZ flash 3-in-1, I would like to ask for a comparison between that combination and the M3 DS Real + GBA + Rumble pack combination. Any help?
Well first of all, the 3 in 1 has rumble pack, gba and ram expansion in one card, hence 3 in 1.
biggrin.gif
So it's pretty much the same as the M3s GBA and Rumble Expansion combined.
Second the Cyclo has more features then the M3, like Real Time Save, In Game Guide, etc. So if you have the money the Cyclo - 3 in 1 combo is the beste to get. If you don't have that much money it woud be Acecard2 + 3 in 1.

QUOTE(Dardon @ Aug 31 2008, 06:54 PM) Special features? real time cheats
Do you mean cheats that can be individually checked and unchecked while you are playing the game? If that's the case only the Supercard DS One can do this. If you only mean normal cheats and considering your other requirements, I would say an Acekard2 + 3 in 1 Combo would be best for you.

Dardon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
only the Supercard DS One still can do it? hmm...I would have thought by now someone else would have jumped on it. Oh well, I'll start looking into Acekard2s then. Thanks for your help.

suchira

Trophies
XP
Country
Slowking said:
suchira said:
In the case that everyone just says CycloDS + EZ flash 3-in-1, I would like to ask for a comparison between that combination and the M3 DS Real + GBA + Rumble pack combination. Any help?
Well first of all, the 3 in 1 has rumble pack, gba and ram expansion in one card, hence 3 in 1.
biggrin.gif
So it's pretty much the same as the M3s GBA and Rumble Expansion combined.
Second the Cyclo has more features then the M3, like Real Time Save, In Game Guide, etc. So if you have the money the Cyclo - 3 in 1 combo is the beste to get. If you don't have that much money it woud be Acecard2 + 3 in 1.

I've read that the 3-in-1 was made to work with EZ Flash V, the slot 1 card thing by the same company. Does that mean there will be... any compatiblity issues with the Cyclo-DS?

kirbydragon

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? Gift/Gaming/etc
Price Range? Nothing 3 digit?
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable
Special features? Realtime(cheat/save)
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular CycloDS Evolution/Supercard DS One
Other? I own a CycloDS Evo, and I'm looking to buy two flash devices.

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
Support slot-2 GBA? What are the best options for this anyway?
Support slot-2 rumble packs? No need. Unless light on pocket?
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Best options? Do browsers still need slot-2?

I just saw Supercard DS One's features and I'm fairly surprised.
Did it always have realtime(state/cheat/guide) and multi-save menu?
It currently looks like the ideal buy. Any reason not to get it?

Thanks.

suchira

Trophies
XP
Country
PharaohsVizier said:
On the other hand, the M3DS Real+M3 Expansion Pack does offer some more GBA features, they have real time save for GBA and better cheat support, the CycloDS Evolution doesn't.

Are there limits to the number of save files you can have per game?

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kirbydragon said:
Use? Gift/Gaming/etc
Price Range? Nothing 3 digit?
Slot 1/2? 1
Special features? Realtime(cheat/save)
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular CycloDS Evolution/Supercard DS One
Other? I own a CycloDS Evo, and I'm looking to buy two flash devices.

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
Support slot-2 GBA? What are the best options for this anyway?
Support slot-2 rumble packs? No need. Unless light on pocket?
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Best options? Do browsers still need slot-2?

I just saw Supercard DS One's features and I'm fairly surprised.
Did it always have realtime(state/cheat/guide) and multi-save menu?
It currently looks like the ideal buy. Any reason not to get it?

Thanks.
Frustratingly enough, the CycloDS does not have a damn real-time cheat menu.
hate2.gif

Go Supercard, but if you want the best GBA compatibility go M3 Real and Lite (works with Browser).

If you're getting them for kids though, I still suggest a CycloDS for simplicity's sake.

kirbydragon

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
The Supercard DS ONE isn't as user friendly as the CycloDS Evolution.
Gift wise I think my choice is in favor of the CycloDS. Either one is suitable for me, but I'll have to know more.
PharaohsVizier said:
Yes again mods I am aware I am somewhat advertising, but I think this link would help out a lot. http://dsdatabase.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=895
It was a great help, good job. Many thanks for the read.

As for your SC menu speed issues, I think I can fairly help out with this skin.
I just edited the default skin which is 750KB, down to 150KB. If it works out, it should serve you well.

The choice is difficult to make...
Feature:
-Cyclo
-SC

RTS:
-Less reliable save wise, slower? The files are smaller and seem to error, at least in Apollo Justice.
-More reliable save wise, glitchy, faster? Larger files(for more complete data?), but I have no experience with it.

RTC:
-Ease of use, single load set available for disable only. Has speed options.
-Clunky system, options are variable but unclear(text cut).

TXT:
-Seems great. I don't I find any issues with it. Although I see it somewhat unneeded.
-I think it's fairly horrible. They really need to change their system.

Multi-save:
-Well all devices can do this with DSOrganize...
-Interesting, and is more direct, but doesn't really stand out.

I thought I could make a decision after listing this, but now I'm more confused.
QUOTE(DeMoN @ Sep 1 2008, 02:17 AM)
Frustratingly enough, the CycloDS does not have a damn real-time cheat menu.
hate2.gif

Go Supercard, but if you want the best GBA compatibility go M3 Real and Lite (works with Browser).

If you're getting them for kids though, I still suggest a CycloDS for simplicity's sake.
Yeah, although the cheat option doesn't seem to be too much of a bother to me. Still I wish it was available for gift reasons.
The more I think about it, GBA/browser doesn't matter much. I haven't played GBA since DS, and 4GB is plenty for DS.
The gift is for a friend, and I see the Cyclo more ideal at this point, but I wish it offered things from SC I can see easily added.

Seriously though, it annoys me enough that the decision for buying is basically a coin flip...
angry.gif

evanft

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Total noob here. Please don't hurt me.

Use? Mostly Games, but I'd like to get into emus.
Price Range? $20-$30
Slot 1/2? Not sure what this means
Built in or expandable memory? MicroSD, expandable
GBA compatibility? Would be nice, but not required
Special features? Save states would be great, as would SDHC compatibility
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular SuperCard DS-One, AceKard 2

I'm basically looking for something on the low end that has great compatibility with DS games, doesn't lag, and is easy to use. Save states would be a MASSIVE bonus, but not if it costs twice as much. I've more or less narrowed it down to either the Supercard or AceKard 2. The Supercard seems to do everything I want and is only a few bucks more than the AceKard 2, but I'd like some opinions before taking the plunge.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
evanft said:

Price Range? $20-$30

I'm basically looking for something on the low end that has great compatibility with DS games, doesn't lag, and is easy to use. Save states would be a MASSIVE bonus, but not if it costs twice as much. I've more or less narrowed it down to either the Supercard or AceKard 2. The Supercard seems to do everything I want and is only a few bucks more than the AceKard 2, but I'd like some opinions before taking the plunge.

I have a SCDS1 myself. It's a great cart, but suffers a few problems. I'll just list the pros and cons from the old SCDS1 review I wrote a while back.

Pros-

- Perfect game compatibility out of the games tested.
- 100% download play with the games tested with.
- Great support, and continuous updates from the team.
- Nice extras in the box
- Solid, and well built cart
- SDHC support
- Realtime save, Realtime Guide, and other features, making it the most featureful cart available.
- In-game cheats
- Multi-save option.
- Tripple loader, Lets you choose between, DSTT, SCDS1, and YSmenu of DSTT.
- Auto DLDI patching.
- Very customizable menu
- Playing music on the hacked moonshell works fine. Even less problems than the real one (Music wise)
- Cheap, compared to other carts. The best bang for the buck. Only 28 bucks.

Cons-

- Cheats get cut off if it has over 12 characters.
- Still picky about micro sds. However, if you get a Japanese kingston card, or something just as fast, then you'll have no problems.
- Moonshell is not up to date, therefore, suffers a few problems, such as the video.
- A slow GUI, compared to some of the Flashkarts out there.
- Not the best cart for a first timer, for it might be a little more confusing than other carts.
- The team doesn't respond much to questions on forums.
- Less frequent firmware updates, compared to the Cyclo.
- Making a skin for this might take you a while, seeing you'll need a lot of places to cover.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
evanft said:

Price Range? $20-$30

*hurts you*

You mentioned easy to use. Definitely choose the AK2 then.

evanft

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't read anything about the AK2 having RTS.

I actually went ahead and got the Supercard and a Transcend 4 GB Class 6 MicroSD for a little less than $40 total. It was only about $4 more than the AK2, and it seemed to me that the build quality alone would make it worth it.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
evanft said:
I haven't read anything about the AK2 having RTS.

I actually went ahead and got the Supercard and a Transcend 4 GB Class 6 MicroSD for a little less than $40 total. It was only about $4 more than the AK2, and it seemed to me that the build quality alone would make it worth it.

Build quality and the features. Don't forget about features!

Cash Machine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? Games/Homebrew/GBA/GBA Homebrew/Multimedia [in that order]
Price Range? Any [but the cheaper the better]
Slot 1/2? Both [see below]
GBA compatibility? Yes [100%--or close to it--compatibility is a must]
Special features? SDHC, DLDI, Approachable GUI, Black Shell
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular [below]

I've all but made up my mind to get a Slot 1 EDGE card [equipped with a 4GB Kingston] with an EZ 3in1 Expansion in Slot 2. From my research so far, it seems that this setup will give me the ability to run pretty much any software I want, including all the GBA games I love on my SP. I understand I'll even be able to run more obscure stuff like the DS Browser, and get the oft-maligned rumble feature in the few games that support it.

I am upgrading from an F2A Ultra in my GBA SP, and after dealing with that ugly GUI for years, a clean, easily-skinned GUI is a MUST. I also have to admit I dig the fact that both cards will match the black shell of my new Cobalt DS.

The only missing features I am curious about are the slow-motion and real-time save features available with other carts, and "Wii Connectivity" [whatever that is?]. Are there any software solutions for these absences, or may a future firmware update to the EDGE add such options?

I am looking at getting the two cards from Dealwoot, and the Kingston memory from Newegg.

Please poke holes in my carefully-laid plans in order to help me make the right purchase.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Cash Machine said:
Use? Games/Homebrew/GBA/GBA Homebrew/Multimedia [in that order]
Price Range? Any [but the cheaper the better]
Slot 1/2? Both [see below]
GBA compatibility? Yes [100%--or close to it--compatibility is a must]
Special features? SDHC, DLDI, Approachable GUI, Black Shell
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular [below]

I've all but made up my mind to get a Slot 1 EDGE card [equipped with a 4GB Kingston] with an EZ 3in1 Expansion in Slot 2. From my research so far, it seems that this setup will give me the ability to run pretty much any software I want, including all the GBA games I love on my SP. I understand I'll even be able to run more obscure stuff like the DS Browser, and get the oft-maligned rumble feature in the few games that support it.

I am upgrading from an F2A Ultra in my GBA SP, and after dealing with that ugly GUI for years, a clean, easily-skinned GUI is a MUST. I also have to admit I dig the fact that both cards will match the black shell of my new Cobalt DS.

The only missing features I am curious about are the slow-motion and real-time save features available with other carts, and "Wii Connectivity" [whatever that is?]. Are there any software solutions for these absences, or may a future firmware update to the EDGE add such options?

I am looking at getting the two cards from Dealwoot, and the Kingston memory from Newegg.

Please poke holes in my carefully-laid plans in order to help me make the right purchase.
The EDGE will not get any of those features. If you want them (plus others), you can get the CycloDS which is basically the card that the EDGE cloned from.
Plus, the Cyclo has better support for the EZ-Flash 3in1, you won't need to download anything to use it.

Cash Machine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. Allow me to rebut:

One of the reasons I'm leaning towards the EDGE over the CycloDS is that the latter is 60% more expensive, and seems to offer only those few extra features for it. Those features are by no means necessary to me, even though I am curious about them. Also, these cards will likely be the only ones I will ever purchase for my DS, and all the reviews and comparisons I've read between the EDGE and CycloDS imply that the EDGE is built a bit more durably. Plus like I said, the black shell of the EDGE is an advantage [I like things that look sleek, what can I say?].

It seems from your explanation that those aforementioned features are hardware related and will never be supported by a card that wasn't built with them in mind?

And speaking of features, could somebody explain "Wii Connectivity" to me? Does this have something to do with the Nintendo Channel demo downloads?

Also, it seems that the latest update to the EDGE firmware has added support for the 3in1, according to the EDGE website.

geigervibe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello,

I'm new to the Nintendo scene in generally and I have not much knowledge about all the possibilities and inaccessibilities with a flashcart, and technical details behind carts in generally. I did read some reviews, some posts and I did look at some youtube-reviews, so that I have a rough idea of what this is about. But I'm still far away to be able to make a decision based on my knowledge.

My mission is to buy a NDS lite for my daughter and I want to add it with some nice accessory that enhance the NDS a lot, like the possibility to play mp3.

Now I'm here to ask for help, to find a cart that would fit my and the needs of my daughter.

Here we go with the form, I will do my best to fill it;

Use? Games - Roms - Homebrew - Video - mp3 -Organizer
Price Range? twice or max triple as much as 'm3real basic' would cost
Slot 1/2? 1 (I guess)
Built in or expandable memory? expandable (microSDHC)
Special features? what ever makes sense for playing games, playing music and videos
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular m3real, supercard, cyclo, DSTT, ...
Other? 'out of the box' solution, trouble free, fast operation reactions

Support slot-2 GBA? need input
Support slot-2 rumble packs? I guess YES
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? need input

Until now I had no dealt with GBA in any form, so I do not know, if I need some GBA support. I guess no. Also I do not know what the RAM expansion is good for (for what do I need that?).
I'm looking for a good solution right out of the box without any hacking or unmanageable tweaking. Trouble free in installation in generally and in handling (no crashes, freezes, or other vexations), good ROM, Homebrew and microSDHC support. Navigation should be comprehensible for a child. Good firmware update support. No need for a windows based PC to administrate NDS and install Homebrew onto the cart (I use a Mac).

I did read some reviews about m3real, that sounds like a good 'out of the box' solution but the organizer is reported to be slow in handling and the media player is supporting only a unique not that good video format.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Cash Machine said:
Thank you. Allow me to rebut:

One of the reasons I'm leaning towards the EDGE over the CycloDS is that the latter is 60% more expensive, and seems to offer only those few extra features for it. Those features are by no means necessary to me, even though I am curious about them. Also, these cards will likely be the only ones I will ever purchase for my DS, and all the reviews and comparisons I've read between the EDGE and CycloDS imply that the EDGE is built a bit more durably. Plus like I said, the black shell of the EDGE is an advantage [I like things that look sleek, what can I say?].
There is really no reason to get an EDGE. You can get an Acekard2 cheaper, which has more features and a better GUI.
AK2 $21.81
EDGE $23.59

QUOTE said:
It seems from your explanation that those aforementioned features are hardware related and will never be supported by a card that wasn't built with them in mind?
No they are firmware related, but the EDGE team has never implimented new features and never will, since they have a clone card. (ok there are a few features, but those are really little, expect nothing big like RTS from them)

QUOTE said:
And speaking of features, could somebody explain "Wii Connectivity" to me? Does this have something to do with the Nintendo Channel demo downloads?
Some games connect to their Wii aquivalent, like Pokemon Diamon to Pokemon Ranch.

Also, it seems that the latest update to the EDGE firmware has added support for the 3in1, according to the EDGE website.
Yeah, but no support for GBA-games, just the very simple stuff.

@geigervibe
I think the Acekard2 would be best for you. It plays even avis... Though it would be good to know how old your daughter is, to guess what she can handle.

kirbydragon

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the favorite choices anyway?
So far I've seen Cyclo/Super/EDGE/AK2/EZFlash(as an addition) listed.
I personally am confused on whether to buy Cyclo or SCDS1, since I will be buying two devices as gifts.
What other devices besides those two support RTS? I know AK2 has built in 1GB including SDHC.
Can that serve as "Slot-2" memory for browsers? What exactly makes EDGE a choice?
Is there a table-lake comparison of the devices? GBAtemp's reviews are rather outdated at times.

Many thanks in advance.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
kirbydragon said:
I personally am confused on whether to buy Cyclo or SCDS1
http://dsdatabase.org/cdevsscds1.html

QUOTE said:
What other devices besides those two support RTS?
None

QUOTE said:
I know AK2 has built in 1GB including SDHC.
Nope. The AK RPG has 1GB build in Flash, the AK2 has nothing built in.

QUOTECan that serve as "Slot-2" memory for browsers?
No

What exactly makes EDGE a choice?
Really nothing. There are better choices for the price...

[quote Is there a table-lake comparison of the devices? GBAtemp's reviews are rather outdated at times. /quote]
Well there is a thread exactly 4 positions under this one. So you could have seen it... http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=100201

PS: The forum doesn't allow this much quotes, so I had to mess up a few...

kirbydragon

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slowking said:
I see, many thanks for the info. I actually have read the article, PharaohsVizier actually replied to me with it a while a back.
Before I knew about Wii support, I couldn't decide between the two. The article didn't list it. Looks like Cyclo is the ideal option.
The Supercard does intrigue me though... but now I'm just looking for reasons to buy it, like the RTC.
There's also the multi-save feature, but DSOrganize pretty much does that anyway.
PharaohsVizier should probably note Wii support in his comparison. Cheers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright