Hacking Post your questions about which flashcart to buy

Compass

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What was "not good" about it? Sound quality?

This is for mounting in my car, btw. I thought about doing the PSP, but for some reason the DS seems cooler to me. I also think the DS will be sturdier when it comes to jostling around as I'm driving. Plus it will be a real easy install (velcro on the bottom of the unit should do it). I'm pretty much set on the DS unless the sound quality is really horrible.

Enter260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yuwing said:
Compass said:
Hey guys. I'm looking to get a flashcart solely for playing MP3s through my DS Lite. I won't be using it for games at all. What do you recommend? My head's spinning from all the choices.

Total noob here, btw.

i would totally recommend PSP for mp3 needs because I tried DS lite with moonshell... not good.
an ipod or any dedicated mp3 player > psp for mp3 playback

Enter260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Compass said:
What was "not good" about it? Sound quality?

This is for mounting in my car, btw. I thought about doing the PSP, but for some reason the DS seems cooler to me. I also think the DS will be sturdier when it comes to jostling around as I'm driving. Plus it will be a real easy install (velcro on the bottom of the unit should do it). I'm pretty much set on the DS unless the sound quality is really horrible.
i remember when i used my ds in the car, the sound was alright, nothing to write home about. it definitely did not sound as good as my zune. keep in mind this is from an aux connection.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I personally, don't get why most people say the DSL's sound quality's terrible. It's ok,certainly not the best, but certainly not the worst. It's about as good as my old Sansa, but a little worse.

And yes, the PSP has better sound quality. But I'd rather get a separate MP3. Something like a Sansa clip, or Samsung P2.

walkearth

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can you suggest a slot-1 card for me? I read all the reviews of GBATemp and tons of information on the net and I'm totally
wacko.gif
wtf.gif

So, I have a slot-2 card - M3 Perfect SD. I want a slot-1 card that has a passcard function, to play nds games from both my cards; 100% game compatibility; 100% download play, I have some friends I can play with; I don't care about the cheats and the design of the card, I just want not to have any problems with it.
I tough of buying an Acekard 2, EDGE or M3 Simply but I'm too confused! Can someone help me please?
rolleyes.gif
Thank you for the answers!

st40611

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, after losing my DS Lite, I've been thinking about getting a new one along with a new flashcard. I had a M3 Lite and was happy with it, but now with all these new cards, I've been thinking which one to get. I eliminated to Edge, CycloDS or M3 DS Real. I would like one where all games are compatible, customizable and great interface, homebrew + MP3/JPEG support, and some good features here and there. CycloDS looks like the closest but the new M3 Sakura's interface also looks very slick, but I've also heard that it's bootable on other cards.

So, yeah, which one should I buy?
unsure.gif

st40611

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saw the YouTube video and was wondering, is there a quick way to boot up Moonshell (I.E. R4 where you can press to boot up a .NDS file in the main menu?) I use my DS a lot for MP3 playback and so I don't want to have the hassle of looking through the files to boot up moonshell everytime I want to listen to music.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on the device you have. Some carts support it, others don't. The R4 and M3 Simply will boot whatever you name to "default.nds" while for other carts you may just want to rename the file from "Moonshell.nds" to "00Moonshell.nds" so it appears at the top of the list.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
st40611 said:
So, after losing my DS Lite, I've been thinking about getting a new one along with a new flashcard. I had a M3 Lite and was happy with it, but now with all these new cards, I've been thinking which one to get. I eliminated to Edge, CycloDS or M3 DS Real. I would like one where all games are compatible, customizable and great interface, homebrew + MP3/JPEG support, and some good features here and there. CycloDS looks like the closest but the new M3 Sakura's interface also looks very slick, but I've also heard that it's bootable on other cards.

So, yeah, which one should I buy?
unsure.gif
Why did you elimiate EDGE and CycloDS? They're one of the best carts around. But here's the list of best to worst. But before you read it, the GBAtemp review of the SCDS1 is outdated, by more than a year, and there have been huge updates for the cart since then. It's considered one of the best carts available.

CycloDS> SCDS1 SDHC > Acekard R.P.G> Acekard 2> EDGE> DSTT> R4/M3 > M3 Real (This can change with the Sakura firmware.)

Dranz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so im getting ds and im wondering which cart to get. im thinking about R4 Revolution v2.0 or Cyclo DS Evolution. which one should i get? and why? R4 is 15€ cheaper
tongue.gif

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dranz said:
so im getting ds and im wondering which cart to get. im thinking about R4 Revolution v2.0 or Cyclo DS Evolution. which one should i get? and why? R4 is 15€ cheaper
tongue.gif

whatever you do, dont get the r4
its not worth it
if you want a cart like the cyclo (or close to it) thats not as expensive as the cyclo
then get an edge (its basically a cyclo clone, without RTS and slowmo)
or an acekard 2 (one of the best now. has a nice interface or whatever. its fast, etc)
both the edge and the acekard probably cost less than an r4
go to psxboy or dealextreme (you might have to wait for it to restock though)
but the cyclo is one of the best, so you might wanna check that out too

oldskoolnesgamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dranz said:
tongue.gif

You'll get more input if you use the formatting from the first page of the thread. Otherwise, no one knows what you want to use it for.

st40611

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ojsinnerz said:
Why did you elimiate EDGE and CycloDS? They're one of the best carts around. But here's the list of best to worst. But before you read it, the GBAtemp review of the SCDS1 is outdated, by more than a year, and there have been huge updates for the cart since then. It's considered one of the best carts available.

CycloDS> SCDS1 SDHC > Acekard R.P.G> Acekard 2> EDGE> DSTT> R4/M3 > M3 Real (This can change with the Sakura firmware.)

You misunderstood me, I meant I eliminated all the other choices and these two are the final two choices. XDD;

I guess I'll go with the CycloDS and put MS Real's .nds file as the Moonshell.nds file.

Dranz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oldskoolnesgamer said:
Dranz said:
tongue.gif

You'll get more input if you use the formatting from the first page of the thread. Otherwise, no one knows what you want to use it for.

sorry didint notice it
tongue.gif
im using it for NDS games and probably some movies but mainly for gaming
smile.gif

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
st40611 said:
ojsinnerz said:

You misunderstood me, I meant I eliminated all the other choices and these two are the final two choices. XDD;

I guess I'll go with the CycloDS and put MS Real's .nds file as the Moonshell.nds file.
Oh. Whoops, lol. Yes, Cyclo is the best choice.

Mega_Nift

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? DS gaming, possibly music and media extras
Price Range? for everything i'll need to make it work, like $115
Slot 1/2? i would prefer slot 1 but i heard my "ds phat" (i fucking hate that name) will need slot 2 support
Built in or expandable memory? definately expandable
Special features? music and media, and whatever else can work on a "ds phat"
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular? m3 real, cyclo

Support slot-2 GBA? if it will fit "ds phat"
Support slot-2 rumble packs? same as above
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? same as above

side note: price isnt too big a factor i just want something that will give me what i want on my "ds phat" (what loser came up with that name?) i dont too much care abt gba but it would be nice, also i would like it to be a flash cart that is at least somewhat supported (firmware updates, etc.) thankyou vm

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mega_Nift said:
Use? DS gaming, possibly music and media extras
Price Range? for everything i'll need to make it work, like $115
Slot 1/2? i would prefer slot 1 but i heard my "ds phat" (i fucking hate that name) will need slot 2 support
Built in or expandable memory? definately expandable
Special features? music and media, and whatever else can work on a "ds phat"
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular? m3 real, cyclo

Support slot-2 GBA? if it will fit "ds phat"
Support slot-2 rumble packs? same as above
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? same as above

side note: price isnt too big a factor i just want something that will give me what i want on my "ds phat" (what loser came up with that name?) i dont too much care abt gba but it would be nice, also i would like it to be a flash cart that is at least somewhat supported (firmware updates, etc.) thankyou vm

uhh out of the two you are looking for, cyclo would be a good choice :]
the price? hmm...almost 60$ for the cyclo, 20-30 for the microsd (depending on the memory and brand)
and then 20$ for the gba slot 2 if you want..that adds up to about 100$ or so
ummm flashcarts dont need slot 2 to work..if thats what youre saying..
you need them if you wanna use a browser or play gba games or rumble
the best one ( i know) is the ez flash 3 in1
its the rumble, gba, and expansion.
you can get a "ds-phat" (a regular gba sized) or a ds lite one, so i dont think thats a problem

hope this helps!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea? trying to...