Hacking Post your ideas regarding how to hack the 3DS, here

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt that Nintendo is this stupid, but it is known they made a mistake in which they used the same key for two different devices, just capitalized it. Here is the DSi key, if anyone wants to try:

af1bf516a807d21aea45984f04742861

Oh and I'm not a random noob who thinks this will work, but then again hacking would have never worked if someone didn't go "hey why don't we try this"

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt that Nintendo is this stupid, but it is known they made a mistake in which they used the same key for two different devices, just capitalized it. Here is the DSi key, if anyone wants to try:

af1bf516a807d21aea45984f04742861

Oh and I'm not a random noob who thinks this will work, but then again hacking would have never worked if someone didn't go "hey why don't we try this"
Keys are in hex, and in hex capitalization used for display doesn't matter because the storage is binary and only 16 characters, so there is no such concept as caps or not.

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
At risk of stating something wrong, but wasn't "hey why don't we try this" basicly how the Dreamcast was hacked? That and stupidity/carelessness on Sega's part.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
At risk of stating something wrong, but wasn't "hey why don't we try this" basicly how the Dreamcast was hacked? That and stupidity/carelessness on Sega's part.
In that case though, it was perhaps an actual thing to try. All Chaldron actually posted was the DSi common key (which is pretty much useless for hacking anyway; I mean, it does of course have uses, but they are limited at best) and suggest that the 3DS might have the same key. There is practically a 0% chance of that being the case. Even if it were the case, it doesn't help hack the 3DS. Remember how the DSi was blown open wide after the common key was found? Nope, me neither.

[Obviously I don't want to discourage anyone from thinking and suggesting stuff, but when suggestions are made, they need to be assessed. It does no one any good to say "well, it might work" when people know full well it won't work]

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In that case though, it was perhaps an actual thing to try. All Chaldron actually posted was the DSi common key (which is pretty much useless for hacking anyway; I mean, it does of course have uses, but they are limited at best) and suggest that the 3DS might have the same key. There is practically a 0% chance of that being the case. Even if it were the case, it doesn't help hack the 3DS. Remember how the DSi was blown open wide after the common key was found? Nope, me neither.

[Obviously I don't want to discourage anyone from thinking and suggesting stuff, but when suggestions are made, they need to be assessed. It does no one any good to say "well, it might work" when people know full well it won't work]

Yeah I know, sorry for mixing things that don't really belong together, I was a bit silly earlier today (because I was too bored at work).
And I think Chaldron also knows that the posted key won't help anything, but don't ask me why he posted anyway.
Don't worry about discouraging people from thinking, disspelling badly thought out theories should not discourage people with good ideas (I really hope so as I can only think of ways how it will not work).

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Stupid thought of the day:Use petit computer to bruteforce the keyz.
Derp_Derp_Derp.png

Hummm... yeah.I'm on PS3 so i'm not sure if it work >.>

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I was just looking around and stuff. I'm not sure if it was Nintendo, but I read somewhere a company just capitalized their old key for a new product. Maybe their key wasn't in Hex? Sorry for wasting your time.

Could then someone explain to me why we are looking for the key for the 3DS? And what exactly allowed the DSi to have been blown open? I'm sure Rydian could explain this.

Reactions: pelago

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah I was just looking around and stuff. I'm not sure if it was Nintendo, but I read somewhere a company just capitalized their old key for a new product. Maybe their key wasn't in Hex? Sorry for wasting your time.

Could then someone explain to me why we are looking for the key for the 3DS? And what exactly allowed the DSi to have been blown open? I'm sure Rydian could explain this.
Keys are pretty much always quoted in hexadecimal. It's possible that whatever company you're talking about used a key which, when converted to ASCII, made a particular word or string, and capitalized that, but it's unlikely; most of the time, keys are randomly generated to take away the chance of them being guessed by some form of deduction. But in the hex representation, it is irrelevant whether you write, e.g. 0xa21f or 0xA21F; they are exactly the same thing. There's no such thing as a "capital number" ;)

"We" aren't really looking for the key. Some misinformed people seem to think that it is some sort of goal, but the real goal is getting code execution on the 3DS (which has been achieved privately by yellows8 and neimod). That does not require any sort of key. It requires an exploit. Now having a public key could help find exploits because it allows you to decrypt 3DS content for reverse engineering, so you can find potential bugs which could possibly be exploited.

As for what allowed the DSi to be blown open; nothing did, that was my point. There were a couple of exploits in DSiWare games which were nearly instantly pulled from the DSi Shop (i.e. within a few hours) and patched with a software update mere weeks (at most - possibly days, can't remember) later. Nothing permanent (if you wanted homebrew, you had to load up the exploited DSiWare game each time, wait for it to load, trigger the exploit etc.). But the common key was widely publicised several years ago (and was known by hackers for about a year or so before that). All I was saying is that the common key isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things. It's useful, sure, but it's not some sort of magic "find this and the console is totally owned" type thing.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I remember my 3DS when i had v4.5.0-10 it was crashing when i go to Eshop and (now i cant remember exactly, but i will try to) browse some games and put them on watch later list (or how is it called) and when i go to that list and watch it, crash happened and it restart system.

Sorry for my tarzan english, but you get the point :)

I thought you are looking for system crashes and might use that somehow so... if it helps cool, if it not than sorry ^^

biegalex

Trophies
XP
Country
France
A crash is not necesseraly an exploit.

An exploit is a rift to reach to lower levels of a system.

An crash can be found in thousands of places but not exploits and it's basically the same process all the time, looking around for codes, injecting some others when a WRITE is possible to provoc events.

The best example about exploiting I could give to newcomers is how a Gameshark works, on Pokemon, injecting an adress will cause some events such as making a pokemon with a certain level appearing widely but all the time, or editing the number of objects you have in your bag (sorry for this low example haha )

I explain it pretty badly and sorry about that ;)

Looking for an exploit is as much easy as looking for a pin into a bunch of craps ;)

finding an exploit is pretty hard because the exploit has to be reliable on most of all the hardwares and softwares, means has to be code-safe to run, means has to be usable by "every one".

Exploiting a system is different on all the devices. On the Wii it was by a save game and loading + replacing some ios for example.

I'm still pretty noobish about exploiting and codes but i kinda understand the process (which my poor english is limiting me in my explanations)

I was like many people of this forum, excited on getting a path through, excited of running unsigned code on my 3ds but I understood with time how hard this system is to crack.

a 3ds mode, a ds mode, many layers of system.

The ds mode is operationnal with some of the old DSi hardware (ARM i guess)

the 3ds mode, pretty unknown about how it works really but i guess through many sandboxes and code check + ram check.

More the device is little, more tools you need on the side haha.

We know how to dump roms but as long as we don't have anything to uncrypt it, it's pretty useless (this famous Key which is I guess stored on Nintendo's servers)

So as long as we don't know how the console is working deeply, as long as we don't understand how works this key, as long as we don't have any bios,

we won't have any emulators, flashcarts / loaders, homebrews.

If you want to understand more about exploiting devices, i suggest all to read how oldies have been hacked, like the iPhone, DS, PSP (really interesting), the beginning of the PSvita hack (pretty similar as the PSP but it's still kernel exploited i think)

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
I think you're talking about the GameCube and Wii optical drive password, which was "MATSHITA DVD-GAME" on GameCube and discovered/cracked prior to the Wii release. Nintendo changed the password to "matshita dvd-game" for the Wii! So yes, Nintendo have done pretty stupid security in the past.

msansom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is going to sound like a really stupid question, but has anyone tried replacing the packages with other retail packages with a packet sniffer of some sort? This used to be possible with PS3 many firmwares a go

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is going to sound like a really stupid question, but has anyone tried replacing the packages with other retail packages with a packet sniffer of some sort? This used to be possible with PS3 many firmwares a go
What?
What packages? As you are talking about a packet sniffer I assume you talk about network packages. But I don't understand what retail packages are supposed to be in this context.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k