wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
could you make a qr code that takes the 3ds to the website that crashes the system.

No, we don't have a browser-based exploit. Anyway, a QR code would be useless, you could just go to that website directly (if it actually existed).

one thing i have noticed with the browser crash is if running sd software and the sd is taken out the system unfreezes.

The system unfreezes? You mean it freezes. Doesn't help us in the slightest, that doesn't give us a workable exploit or a way to find one.

@Linkiboy: I see what you mean. I wasn't 100% sure exactly how the PassMes worked since I wasn't familiar with the scene then. I'm not familiar with how timing attacks work, though.

rondoh70

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no what i meant was when the browser crashes the system and you take the sd out while using sd software the system will unfreeze.

rondoh70

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it was meant to show that the sd card is actively checked even when the system crashes sorry it wasn't exactly a helpful find for hacking. I could do a video if it helps.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No, I see what you're saying now.
This just proves that everything runs in a hypervisor, whether it is a 3DS game or DSiWare/DS games/etc. running in backwards compatibility mode.

Transdude1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is the case, doesn't that mean that we have to attack it at a point where it isn't in hypervisor like in the channels menu or the settings menu (like that one homebrew installer for the Wii)

rondoh70

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would it be possible to use the password cracker "ighashgpu" which can crack a 8 digit password in less then a day to brute force keys for the 3ds.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
ighashgpu is a Windows program.
1. These keys are incredibly complicated and bruteforcing them would take years
2. You expect a Windows exec to run on the 3DS? How the hell would we even get a Windows program on the 3DS anyways?
3. These keys aren't passwords in that sense. You can't input them into some magic system setting and it'll unlock the system, allowing hacks.
4. Read up on this please
5. And this too.
6. For example, if you replace letters with numbers, replacing A with 1, and so on, the "key" to decrypting the message would be to replace the numbers with letters. How the encryption works, is similar in the slightest, with the software being the message, and an unknown hex string as the "key"

Once you know the "key" you can decrypt the "message"

rondoh70

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i already knew how cryptography works but my thought was to hash an encrypted file and use the hash in ighashgpu to calculate the key and you can use multiple gpus to cut down the time.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If this is the case, doesn't that mean that we have to attack it at a point where it isn't in hypervisor like in the channels menu or the settings menu (like that one homebrew installer for the Wii)

The Wii's system is different. The way IOS worked is that only one can be running at a time. Thus, the HOME menu was running on the IOS that the game was using. For example, Zelda:TP ran on IOS9, I believe. System Menu 4.3 runs on IOS80. If you press HOME in Z:TP on a 4.3 Wii, it'll load the HOME menu on IOS9.

Of course, Nintendo will have fixed this with the 3DS. The way that the 3DS System Menu can suspend 3DS games and apps shows this. The Wii could not really do this; the game's IOS would simply just pause the game and open the HOME menu. The System Menu was not involved in the HOME menu on the Wii.

But yes, it would be far easier to attack it when the hypervisor is not running. Hypervisors can be exploited, but having to do that on top of finding an exploit to run unsigned code while in a game is difficult.

ighashgpu is a Windows program.
1. These keys are incredibly complicated and bruteforcing them would take years
2. You expect a Windows exec to run on the 3DS? How the hell would we even get a Windows program on the 3DS anyways?
3. These keys aren't passwords in that sense. You can't input them into some magic system setting and it'll unlock the system, allowing hacks.
4. Read up on this please
5. And this too.
6. For example, if you replace letters with numbers, replacing A with 1, and so on, the "key" to decrypting the message would be to replace the numbers with letters. How the encryption works, is similar in the slightest, with the software being the message, and an unknown hex string as the "key"

Once you know the "key" you can decrypt the "message"
i already knew how cryptography works but my thought was to hash an encrypted file and use the hash in ighashgpu to calculate the key and you can use multiple gpus to cut down the time.

We can't hash an encrypted file. It's not that simple. Hashing and encryption are two different things.
In addition, cracking an AES key is extremely time-consuming. With a 256-bit AES key (the 3DS likely has a 256-bit or higher key), 2^256 trials are required to try every possibility through bruteforce. That is, we need to try at worst 1.15792089 * 10^77 keys. In comparison, the reference ATI Radeon HD 7970 graphics card (using a yet-unreleased top-end GPU) does about 947 GFLOPS (billion floating-point operations per second). 9.47*10^11 is nothing compared to the 10^77 we're talking about here.
There are ways to get the key faster, but even then, for a 256-bit key, the best known technique has a complexity of 2^99.5, or 8.96*10^29. At one key per operation, we're still talking a time far greater than the age of the universe (4.5 billion years).
Cracking the key is unfeasible. There must be another way.

Transdude1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of pure curiosity, does anyone know what we're going to do with the hombrew channel as soon as we get it up and running? (please don't answer "to use hombrew of course", I want more specific answers)

arthurvandijk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can someone confirm Dead Or Alive streetpass still works when the cartridge is NOT inserted? Does it install some kind of channel?
Did it myself, as I got MarioKart 7 from my wife for Christmas. (Isn't she sweet?)

Streetpass and/or Spotpass channels for games are installed on SD card as an invisible channel (Invisible as in not showing in the system menu). This means two things:
  • 3DS mode Slot 1 games have full access to the SD card
  • No software other than systemmenu is allowed to access the NAND
From this I can only deduce EVERYTHING on the 3DS is run in somekind of Hypervisor, or Virtual mode (edit: to protect the console's internal memory, as part of big N's "no hacking" plan).

As of now, I think Hardware attacks would be the best method to get useful things and information. Unfortunately, I have no such hardware to "clip-on" the RAM, memory bus or ARM processors. Right now, I think we (or the more experienced ones among us) should either try to break the encryption, or get the console to run decrypted code regardless if it's singed or not. By the time we get the encryption, we'd probably have a way of fake-signing any code anyways, and I still believe each 3DS console has it's own PERSONAL certificate, probably based on ConsoleID.

SafetyRey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't even own a 3ds yet but here's my Idea. What happens with you run a 3ds game, then hit the home button then eject the game? Then go to sleep mode? I have no 3ds so my knowledge is not there.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can someone confirm Dead Or Alive streetpass still works when the cartridge is NOT inserted? Does it install some kind of channel?
Did it myself, as I got MarioKart 7 from my wife for Christmas. (Isn't she sweet?)

Streetpass and/or Spotpass channels for games are installed on SD card as an invisible channel (Invisible as in not showing in the system menu). This means two things:
From this I can only deduce EVERYTHING on the 3DS is run in somekind of Hypervisor, or Virtual mode (edit: to protect the console's internal memory, as part of big N's "no hacking" plan).

As of now, I think Hardware attacks would be the best method to get useful things and information. Unfortunately, I have no such hardware to "clip-on" the RAM, memory bus or ARM processors. Right now, I think we (or the more experienced ones among us) should either try to break the encryption, or get the console to run decrypted code regardless if it's singed or not. By the time we get the encryption, we'd probably have a way of fake-signing any code anyways, and I still believe each 3DS console has it's own PERSONAL certificate, probably based on ConsoleID.
I wouldn't be surprised if a hardware exploit is necessary to run unsigned code. Your Console ID idea made me think of the Xbox 360, since every one has it's own unique CPU key (required for running unsigned code). The only way this has been obtained is through hardware exploits (the KK shader hack only needed a flashed DVD drive, but it was patched years ago). Anyway, I'm rambling here. Basically, I think there should be more investigation of the 3DS's hardware. I bet you that will be the first way unsigned code is run.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I wouldn't be surprised if a hardware exploit is necessary to run unsigned code. Your Console ID idea made me think of the Xbox 360, since every one has it's own unique CPU key (required for running unsigned code). The only way this has been obtained is through hardware exploits (the KK shader hack only needed a flashed DVD drive, but it was patched years ago). Anyway, I'm rambling here. Basically, I think there should be more investigation of the 3DS's hardware. I bet you that will be the first way unsigned code is run.

Yep. Hardware exploits seem the most likely. Every single "first" hack on the Wii, 360 and PS3 involved hardware exploits in some way (Wii with the Tweezer attack, 360 with the thing you just mentioned, and PS3 with Geohot's memory glitching + the PSJailbreak dongles).
I think a good first approach would be to analyze how a 3DS cart interacts with the 3DS upon execution. ie. handshake exchanges, authentication checks, communication protocols. This should lead to us at least being able to make clone 1:1 carts (but of course, the Chinese flashcart makers will be the first to do this). Another thing to do is to analyze how the 3DS performs checks upon installation/execution. It may be that there is a flaw in the 3DS's checking code (unlikely, but possible).

Rat.2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
why not try and make a cart that works in 3ds mode
dont worry about playing games just getting one to start whilst in that mode would be great

see if its possible to run a 3ds rom on a fake 3ds flash cart to simply play that rom and nothing else?
so basically just transfer the contents of the real cart to a fake one

i think i read earlier on that someone needed to know more about the hardware
http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Hardware

i also read that someone suggested to try brute force hacking of the needed code
followed by people telling him it would take to long
i have a suggestion
why not split the work so that
someone can hack the first 50 billion combinations while other people are hacking the other possible combinations
thus first halving the time it will take if 2 people do it
and its not going to take the whole computer it could just be a program running in background while you do your stuff on the internet
and i think its at least giving it a shot imagine what we could do with the right code
why not try hacking the roms? or the encrypted files on the sd card that could be done on a pc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I never realized askejeves is just ask.com now lol