Homebrew Discussion Post homebrew ideas, suggestions, requests here

Deleted member 414661

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Is there any sort of exploit to boot userland Homebrew comparable to OoT3Dhax?

I'm looking to have secure Homebrew functionality regardless of how many firmware updates Nintendo shoves down our throats. But is there any Switch game that saves to the cartridge and not the SD card?

I'm not interested in Custom Firmware.

I only want to be able to back up my saves and hack talismans in Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate because they're a flat out disgusting mockery of what the game is supposed to be about - putting in direct effort and eventually getting what you aim to get from direct effort with no randumbized bullshit element that literally will never drop in your favor. Not gambling on a lottery stacked against you 20k to 1.

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any sort of exploit to boot userland Homebrew comparable to OoT3Dhax?

I'm looking to have secure Homebrew functionality regardless of how many firmware updates Nintendo shoves down our throats. But is there any Switch game that saves to the cartridge and not the SD card?

I'm not interested in Custom Firmware.
There are currently no publicly known savegame exploits like OoT3DHax.
All switch cartridges save to the switch's internal memory.

Homebrew Suggestion
Didn't see this when I skimmed the list, a homebrew application that could connect the switch to a PC over USB-cable for file management would be nice.
This mainly being for folks that won't use FTP because they want to remain offline, and would also rather not reboot in order to physically connect their SD card to a PC.

Last edited by 8BitWonder,

Firexploit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My idea:
Wifi usb tethering homebrew nro or custom sysmodule.
If I have internet on the switch I can connect it to my laptop and share internet to the laptop over the usb cable.

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I updated the first post.
I tried to include all suggestion, but I left some obviously not possible or duplicated requests.
Maybe I missed some existing/done projects.

Big thankies, hopefully, this will make my requests and others more visible :)

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for post it here too

Hello, is there a way to connect my switch to my smartphone through ftp? this to be able to take screenshots and post on twitter
Thank you.
Yes, run the sys-ftpd kip. Your sig says you use reinx, I don't use that so I can't tell you how to install it.

Reactions: Idaho

MovieMan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone should try porting Jedi Knight Jedi academy. There’s a project called OpenJK3 and it’s Jedi academy ported to OpenGL

Reactions: Idaho

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would like a retroarch emulator frontend, as I have on android gpdxd ArcBrowser, I paid 10€ for it on playstore, and I don't regret it, if a similar thing is done on switch, I would be happy

Why a frontend?
Simply the ability to scrapper the boxarts, launch a rom and when you leave the game, you return exactly where you were before you started the game, which is not the case of retroarch, try to play a secret of mana and then secret of evermore for example, arranged in alphabetical order, you are good to scroll through all the systems in your possession, then scroll 500roms, to play a rom placed just below the one previously launched
I hope I'll be understood.
Exemple
Arcbrowser support
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/874247

Reactions: Spadezilla

Elliander

Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
With malicious programs going around, there are two types of PC tools that we really need:

1.) A PC tool to scan NSP and XCI files for the HEX values of known malicious code. A user can run this to check their files before they install it, and the HEX values could be from a list of definitions. Basically, the equivalent of an antivirus. I actually have the skills to write a program like this if someone could send me a private message with a single string of HEX values to check for, and an example of a file that is malicious with another file that is not malicious where the only difference between them is that HEX value. The program could also attempt to "clean" the file, but obviously could not guarantee to find everything so it would depend on people adding definitions as new malware is developed.

2.) A PC tool that can read the Nintendo>content folder on the microSD card, show the list of game updates installed, and generate an NSP file to then install them onto another Switch. This would allow the collection and sharing of game updates to benefit banned Switches. I'd actually like to be able to backup DLC as well, so that I could easily move one Switch to another without taking it online, but that would lead to increased piracy.

3.) A PC tool that can compare two NAND or emuNAND folders on a microSD card, and replace the console ID information on one with the other. If, for example, you have lots of games on one Switch and maintain regular NAND backups, but it breaks or is lost or stolen you are basically out of luck since your NAND backups won't be of use to you. Comparing the information would get you back playing much quicker. Another benefit would be in transferring from one Switch to another without having to use detectable Homebrew, either because you were banned or want to have your saves in more than one place. All that would really be needed to get this to work is to figure out what is the difference between two NAND files. Well, that, and making sure you don't try to write to bad memory, since I imagine the NAND dump would include that kind of information, so bad sector information would also have to be translated.

Reactions: Spadezilla

Elliander

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Might there be some way of displaying onto the Switch screen while at the same time displaying onto the TV? I know that, for example, some error messages already do this, but I am thinking about something active.

For example, take the 3DS emulator. As it works right now, the two screens are displayed on the same screen. This is great for portable, but if we could use a USB-C extension cable to "dock" the switch while holding it, then it would basically be like the Wii U games with the main screen on the TV and the menus on the bottom. It would be awkward to hold it wired, but then again there are wireless USB-C adapters, so it would be a useful mode.

But is it possible?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1.) A PC tool to scan NSP and XCI files for the HEX values of known malicious code.
there's no real malicious code, it's just a simple memcpy or file access function, there's nothing wrong with that. Antivirus on windows doesn't detect batch file with "format c:" in it as a virus. this is what the existing homebrew are : just simple commands.
you could have a checksum for existing compiled binaries, but to counter that, a recompile is enough to defeat the check. your hex print could work if you know what to look for (access BIS partition for example), but might not be generic enough to detect future or recompiled brickbrew, and would flag legit homebrew needing BIS access for biskey.

There are already 2 tools to verify retail xci are not homebrew by checking the nca signature. And I'm almost sure game manager can detect malware are not retail games too (wrong icon, signature, titleID, game size, etc.)
there are no tool to verify a homebrew is dangerous. you could have homebrew which delete your content folder on SD, or delete savegames, how would you know one is more legit than the other?
Atmosphere CFW added restriction to make some partitions read only and prevent homebrew from overwriting sensible parts (but it can be defeated if someone really want to harm other's console, currently need a file flag on SD to bypass). this is the best protection for now.
new protection would be to add proper access right warning in nsp and xci installers, but require packers to have a list of access rights to enable/disable too. users would be warned if a homebrew request access to system partition for example, but will not warn for simple user partition, or savegame access. up to the user to allow or not, it's not a real protection, just a warning, easily bypassed if using old tools.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Elliander

Elliander

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
there's no real malicious code, it's just a simple memcpy or file access function, there's nothing wrong with that.

Oh, I see. hmm. So if, for example, someone shares a game update NSP that they injected something to brick a system with, there'd be no way for a program to determine if it's safe or not?

How then did the delayed brick work with the leaked Pokemon games that hit the pirates? Granted, that was piracy - easy way to avoid is to not do it - but the issue to me is how easy something like that could be done to something else.

Or can the tool that checks an XCI also check for game update NSP files?

The checksum is a good idea, and of course you are right - someone can just recompile - but if the reputable individual releases the checksum for it and people use the tools to compare against, at least that would keep someone from altering and distributing those files as easily.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: