Possible to Resize GATEWAYNAND Partition?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Baccabechoppin, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Baccabechoppin
    OP

Baccabechoppin GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    I'm using an 8GB card with rxTools and was just curious if it was possible to resize the partiton? The partition is only 2.73GB leaving me barely any room to install stuff. I tried resizing the partition to take up the whole card but now EmuNand won't boot, could also use some help with that issue

2. lemanuel

lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    Emunand is virtually your console's system. So of course you can't reduce it or it won't work.
    It's like trying to decrease the capacity of your own console. All the system files won't fit there.

So, no. You can't reduce it. I would suggest getting a bigger SD card, especially since you'll have to install everything in CIA format and 8GB is nowhere near enough for all of it.

3. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah
    If you could reduce the size of the emunand, dont you think it would be that size in the first place?
    Its at the size its at for a reason.

4. Baccabechoppin
    OP

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    I'm not trying to reduce the size, I'm trying to get more room on the card instead of having 4GB of unallocated space

5. lemanuel

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    The emunand partition may be hidden but it doesn't mean it's empty. You can't reduce it. It will have to be in the SD card if you want to have emunand.
    It's literally a copy of your console's system.

Like I said, get a bigger card.

usernametaken likes this.
  6. EmceeKerser

Jun 3, 2014
    You can't. Get a bigger SD card.

7. Baccabechoppin
    OP

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    So is there anyway I can get my EmuNand running again after attempting to make it larger?

8. EmceeKerser

Jun 3, 2014
    Try resizing it to its original size, but chances are you corrupted something by changing around the size of the partition. Youll probs have to reformat

Last edited by EmceeKerser, Sep 27, 2015
  9. lemanuel

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    You can't. Format the SD card with SDFormatter to erase the partition properly and then Format Emunand again with GW's launcher.

10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Everyone seems to be completely missing the point. He has much less space than he should with an 8 GB card.

@Baccabechoppin
    You should definitely have more space than that. Due to how memory card/drive manufacturers calculate size, a 8 GB card will actually be a bit smaller (around 7.5 GB)
    The emuNAND should only take up around 1 GB of space, or up to 2 GB if you have a n3DS, so you should have around 6 GB (+/- 500 MB) space left on the card. You can extend the FAT32 partition to the right with a partition manager, just as long as you don't touch the ~1GB of unallocated space at the beginning of the file system.

Spork Schivago and osaka35 like this.
  11. lemanuel

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    He did say that the emunand partition for him was around 2GB if I understood it correctly. So it seemed normal to me

12. Baccabechoppin
    OP

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    Yeah I touched that 1GB of unallocated space, I assume that's why I can't boot EmuNand any more