Homebrew Discussion Possible Screen Recorder eventually?

Would you use a screen recorder?

• Yes

Votes: 54 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 14.3%

• Total voters

Chipidy

OP
Trophies
Website
www.chipidychipgaming.com
XP
Country
Canada
But a real time recorder would still use a lot of cpu/gpu power, thus leaving to perfomance issues. The thing is, this could indeed be possible, but i cant see it recording more than say, 5 minutes at 360p.

The other option, which it think could work the best, is a screen streaming app or plugin, just like ntr recorder was for the new 3ds.

My apologies. Yes a streaming service would be nice! And even better

ShonenJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
would be cool if its a screen streaming homebrew app and if it finishes the stream you can choose to download the video directly on switch. Also would be cool to have a homebrew video editing app like ps4 sharefactory.

Reactions: Chipidy

Chipidy

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Canada
would be cool if its a screen streaming homebrew app and if it finishes the stream you can choose to download the video directly on switch. Also would be cool to have a homebrew video editing app like ps4 sharefactory.

Woah woah Woah. Would you like syrup with that?

Reactions: ShonenJump

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think tapping into the existing video recording feature is probably the easiest way to go. Modify what's there, remove the 30 second limit, remove game restrictions, and change the button behavior to be a start-stop button.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And of course I'd use the daylights out of it. You could post gameplay videos on YouTube without needing to use a capture card (as long as you weren't live streaming). Take any camera, make a video of you while you're playing it, throw it along with the Switch's recording in your favorite video editing software and you're good to go.
Umm, not as easy as “remove the 30 second limit” my friend.

You also have to tell it how to record more than 30 seconds.

CKkio23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well no one is mentioning removing the restriction of the video cannot be recorded for some titles? it will be massive like you be able to screenshot/video on any app would be awesome.

Chipidy

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Canada
Well no one is mentioning removing the restriction of the video cannot be recorded for some titles? it will be massive like you be able to screenshot/video on any app would be awesome.
I had to read your comment 3 times because you didn't "quote" . But ya, I know what you mean. But the video quality is terrible. I hate quality itself right now. I know a capture card works awesome. But maybe it would be better to just have a streamer instead .stream your footage to somewhere

Reactions: Birdstar

VidiPius

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But a real time recorder would still use a lot of cpu/gpu power, thus leaving to perfomance issues. The thing is, this could indeed be possible, but i cant see it recording more than say, 5 minutes at 360p..

It shouldn't use a lot of CPU power, Presuming the switch has the same built in encoder as the Tegra X1 base model. If it does, it would only involve a very small hit to GPU performance. I would imagine the biggest issue would be write speed to the SD card.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It shouldn't use a lot of CPU power, Presuming the switch has the same built in encoder as the Tegra X1 base model. If it does, it would only involve a very small hit to GPU performance. I would imagine the biggest issue would be write speed to the SD card.
What about the ram? Since only one is reserved for the os, and most computers needs at least two to record games like minecraft at lowest possible settings... Still, even is the hit on gpu is small it would still be a problem. Hell, even on ps4 when recording the multitasking and os lags like hell.

tides

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if cell could get it done, it is def possible on the switch
but since nobody else could get it to work and cell's gone

naaaaaaaaaaah we're not gonna see it for a bit

Reactions: Birdstar

VidiPius

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What about the ram? Since only one is reserved for the os, and most computers needs at least two to record games like minecraft at lowest possible settings... Still, even is the hit on gpu is small it would still be a problem. Hell, even on ps4 when recording the multitasking and os lags like hell.

IANAE on this specific set of hardware, but It should be minimal, to non-existent. Shadowplay on Nvidia desktop cards uses the exact same concept and seems to write directly to disk with almost no RAM usage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQqCfuxKoE