Possible Fix for Netflix [Wii] Buffering Issues

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by knuxyl, Oct 2, 2016.

1. knuxyl
    OP

knuxyl Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2016
    United States
    I have found a very certain problem with my Nintendo Wii 4.3U. It is softmodded, so I am not sure if this applies to everyone.
    I installed the latest Netflix from the Wii Shop Channel.
    Occasionally I noticed that when I'm watching something, after a little bit it'll start buffering for like 15+ seconds and only play for like 10. Worked fine on my computer, so I thought about, what have I done different with the Wii?
    Well I started playing gamecube games recently and had my GC memory card and controller plugged in. I kept the controller plugged in and took the memory card out and everything has been fine since.
    Just now my videos kept buffering again and I thought maybe I was having wifi issues and I noticed I had my GC memory card in. I took it out and instantly the video started playing and hasn't buffered since.

So to fix Netflix buffering problems, take out all Gamecube memory cards. Controllers don't cause a problem, but the memory cards do.

I recorded proof of this problem. I am absolutely 100% sure this is what was causing my buffering issues. I don't know about yours, but I would suggest taking out the gamecube memory card.

Last edited by knuxyl, Oct 3, 2016
  2. MissingNO123

MissingNO123 Jigglypuff

Nov 24, 2012
    Canada
    hell
    Why would you use a Wii?

3. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Not very helpful...

@OP: Try changing your Wifi channel maybe?

4. knuxyl
    OP

knuxyl Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2016
    United States
    No it is most certainly the gamecube memory card causing the problem. I can record a video to prove it if you like but I'd rather not.

5. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Connection of the memory card interfering with the WiFi module?
    Also, is it an official GC memory card by Nintendo?

6. knuxyl
    OP

knuxyl Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2016
    United States
    No it is a Datel ActionReplay memory card. The card is not corrupt or has any problems, I use it all the time. And I think there might be some confusion in the Netflix code searching for cache or memory or something. I have no idea.

7. knuxyl
    OP

knuxyl Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2016
    United States
    Added a video to the first post proving it. It's still encoding on youtube and is going to take a while, but it's there.

8. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    I believe you, but I have a Nintendo 1019 in my Wii all the time and I don't have issues with Netflix or other Wifi. :)

Maybe the AR is not shielded/RF-compliant.

9. knuxyl
    OP

knuxyl Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2016
    United States
    lol sure.

10. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Sure what? I don't understand.