Homebrew Porting PC Games to DS

Dteyn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was just curious if anyone has information on where to begin with porting PC games to the DS.

There are DS Homebrew versions of Duke Nukem 3D, Quake 1, Quake 2, Wolfenstein 3D, OpenTyrian, and I'm sure others.

I'm guessing the game needs to be open source for it to be ported, but I'm curious if anyone knows if a site or wiki with resources and information on this sort of thing.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's a long hard process and if you don't know how to do it, I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to. It's not a case of "run this program to convert PC source code to DS source code, then run this one to compile". You have to manually edit the source code so that it all runs on DS. This means you must have a LOT of DS programming knowledge, and PC programming knowledge, and time.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
yea.
but back then, they didnt use ARM processors.
they were using powerpc processors from motorella or some thing....

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
From what I've actually read of OPs post, it seems as though he wants to know if there are resources or a wiki about it, so unless you can provide information he doesn't already know, and you're name isn't FAST6191, don't bother posting, seriously. Most of the posts in this thread thus far (including mine) are close to useless, consider this "mini-modding" if you want but I'm surprised this hasn't been said already. If you can't help, don't post. Seriously.

Edit: I guess SifJar's post was on topic, but the rest of you discussing system requirements just need to shut the hell up. fgghjjkll, most computers had Intel chipsets in the late 90s. Most of the games before 1998 should theoretically be able to be run on the DS, although some of the games from later years will probably need the RAM expansion (see: Quake 2).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out