Porting PC Games to DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Dteyn, Jun 25, 2009.

Jun 25, 2009

Porting PC Games to DS by Dteyn at 9:36 AM (861 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Dteyn
    OP

Member Dteyn GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I was just curious if anyone has information on where to begin with porting PC games to the DS.

There are DS Homebrew versions of Duke Nukem 3D, Quake 1, Quake 2, Wolfenstein 3D, OpenTyrian, and I'm sure others.

I'm guessing the game needs to be open source for it to be ported, but I'm curious if anyone knows if a site or wiki with resources and information on this sort of thing.

2. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    It's a long hard process and if you don't know how to do it, I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to. It's not a case of "run this program to convert PC source code to DS source code, then run this one to compile". You have to manually edit the source code so that it all runs on DS. This means you must have a LOT of DS programming knowledge, and PC programming knowledge, and time.

3. player1244

Newcomer player1244 Member

Netherlands
    And also note that a PC is much more powerful than the DS. A PC today has minimal 512MB memory (DS has 4MB) and 1.5GHz (DS has 66MHz?).

4. sadak5

Member sadak5 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    Old Pc games could be possible. Old pc's had up t0 16MB in ram (a luxury in that time) and 133MHZ (luxury if you had the arythmetic co-processor)

5. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    yea.
    but back then, they didnt use ARM processors.
    they were using powerpc processors from motorella or some thing....

6. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    From what I've actually read of OPs post, it seems as though he wants to know if there are resources or a wiki about it, so unless you can provide information he doesn't already know, and you're name isn't FAST6191, don't bother posting, seriously. Most of the posts in this thread thus far (including mine) are close to useless, consider this "mini-modding" if you want but I'm surprised this hasn't been said already. If you can't help, don't post. Seriously.

Edit: I guess SifJar's post was on topic, but the rest of you discussing system requirements just need to shut the hell up. fgghjjkll, most computers had Intel chipsets in the late 90s. Most of the games before 1998 should theoretically be able to be run on the DS, although some of the games from later years will probably need the RAM expansion (see: Quake 2).