Homebrew Porting PC Games to DS

Dteyn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was just curious if anyone has information on where to begin with porting PC games to the DS.

There are DS Homebrew versions of Duke Nukem 3D, Quake 1, Quake 2, Wolfenstein 3D, OpenTyrian, and I'm sure others.

I'm guessing the game needs to be open source for it to be ported, but I'm curious if anyone knows if a site or wiki with resources and information on this sort of thing.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's a long hard process and if you don't know how to do it, I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to. It's not a case of "run this program to convert PC source code to DS source code, then run this one to compile". You have to manually edit the source code so that it all runs on DS. This means you must have a LOT of DS programming knowledge, and PC programming knowledge, and time.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
yea.
but back then, they didnt use ARM processors.
they were using powerpc processors from motorella or some thing....

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
From what I've actually read of OPs post, it seems as though he wants to know if there are resources or a wiki about it, so unless you can provide information he doesn't already know, and you're name isn't FAST6191, don't bother posting, seriously. Most of the posts in this thread thus far (including mine) are close to useless, consider this "mini-modding" if you want but I'm surprised this hasn't been said already. If you can't help, don't post. Seriously.

Edit: I guess SifJar's post was on topic, but the rest of you discussing system requirements just need to shut the hell up. fgghjjkll, most computers had Intel chipsets in the late 90s. Most of the games before 1998 should theoretically be able to be run on the DS, although some of the games from later years will probably need the RAM expansion (see: Quake 2).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did he ask to see yo feet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Teeth
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's second cousin obsessed with teeth
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you wake up with your belt un-buckled?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Let me lift you up in my chair
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Down there, teeth removal is putting you behind an angry donkey.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Teeth removal is tying the donkeys hair to the tooth and slapping it's ass
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The cleaning stuff they used was actually nice tasted like frosting
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That'd be 2million pesos, drink this tequila for your pain.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Also buy my art senior don't forget what happened with Germany
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For reference, so everyone knows we are not racist, just like to pick on Juan, and he gives it back to us 'murdicans in return. I love me some latinos.
    +1
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    hello? anyone alive here?
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm dead inside
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    at least you can chat :)
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    i dont want to sound silly, but im kind of lost, im new to this community and i have a lot of question and idk where to start
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I watched baby yoda eat frog eggs on mandalorian last night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Morganna Welcome to the temp! what are your questions?
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    It is nice and loud and thunder and lightning stormy outside, love it
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Can't wait for the inevitable power outage where it's initially funny because I have half of my apartment on UPSes, then I realize I have literal minutes to start shutting down all of my servers.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You must be north of me, Im in Ohio.. It been storming on off all day here, coming from the north
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    just barely maybe, more so just dead east.
    I'm in NJ
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is weird looking at the radar, it is making a circle
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    @BigOnYa well, starting with, idk which emulator should i use for switch, i got a gtx 1650, do you know which one would it better for my pc?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The switch emulators on pc rely on your CPU mostly, and they only use a single core, so GPU not as important as a good CPU. I don't use switch emulator, but many here do, and willing to help.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: The switch emulators on pc rely on your CPU mostly, and they only use a single core, so GPU not...