Port Forwarding the port for uTorrent?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by gifi4, Apr 8, 2011.

Apr 8, 2011
  1. gifi4
    OP

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    It seems that I'm having trouble port forwarding the port uTorrent is using.

This is the guide for my router: http://portforward.com/english/routers/por...v1/Utorrent.htm

Following this guide right to the bone is as simple as 1,2,3. But after saving the setting on my router page, I opened uTorrent and did the setup guide and it informed me that the port is not forwarded, same result when I checked with portforward.com's exe that checks if the ports are forwarded.

After it failed, I tried randomizing the port for uTorrent and then tried the steps with the randomized port but sadly it still failed.

So what do I do?

2. ecko

Member ecko GBAtemp Regular

Afghanistan
    there a few things which could've gone wrong.
    maybe your firewall is blocking the port?
    your isp blocks the port? or
    is there another router/modem before the current router? (e.g:Pc->(configured)router->router2/modem->internet)

3. Maplemage

Member Maplemage ಠ_ಠ

Antarctica
    Make sure the program is closed and portforward, or make sure that there isnt any other port that are using uTorrents port, btw is this your first time Portforwarding?

4. gifi4
    OP

Australia
    uTorrent is closed after I check the port that it's using, and no other program is using the current port that uTorrent is using, and yeah, it's my first time Portforwarding, the only other thing I've done was put my PS3 into the DMZ because my NAT type was causing issues. So any suggestions, want me to take screenies of what I'm doing and post them up?

5. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If you want to be lazy just enable uPNP port forwarding in uTorrent. Then on your router enable uPNP. Then you don't have to do anything. Also what router do you have? It would help me find some screenshots or at least help you navigate the router options. There's really not much you need to do in uTorrent.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    What does canyouseeme.org say?

7. gifi4
    OP

Australia

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Might be an issue with the test program then. Do torrents work properly? Do note that if the torrent you're using has no seeds, uTorrent of course won't detect any incoming connections.

9. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    Like Rydian said, also even if there are seeds it does not mean that they will instantly connect to you as the seeders may have limits set on incoming connections and total allowed simultaneous connections. If canyouseeme.org says your port is forwarded then it probably is just let uTorrent run for a little and see if any one connects to you. How many torrents do you have running at one time?

10. gifi4
    OP

Australia
    I usually have anywhere from 1 - 20 torrents at a time but after downloading a whole heap, all I have on my list is 2 things. And I CAN upload/seed but it goes so damn slow and I can seed torrents from sites other than my private tracker and they can rise up to 100KBps. No one else on my PT seems to have this problem.

11. Saturnplanet5

Member Saturnplanet5 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    It takes a little time for uTorrent to say that the network is ok. It's not just instant.

12. gifi4
    OP

Australia
    Exactly how long? Because I've had it running over 12 hours and it still isn't forwarded...

13. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Did you try enabling uPNP within uTorrent as well as on the router? That's really the easiest way to go if you're having issues. You should see uTorrent connect to DHT as long as the uPNP port forwarding is working.

14. gifi4
    OP

Australia
    Yeah I know about uPNP and when it is enabled, the port is forwarded but it makes no difference to the seeding so I'm trying to manually port forward it.